Parents upset over ban on children riding motorbikes

Lite Beer

I take my daughter to school each day on a motorcycle. I have on a good helmet,

and of course she has one too. Every day, I see a lot of parents come to pick up

their kids on motorcycles . The parent of course has a helmet, but no helmet for

their child...... In exasperation, sometimes I will point this out by pointing to my

daughter putting her helmet on, and their child having no helmet. Their response

is to look sheepish and drive away.

I am not a fan of a nanny state. If you do not want to wear a helmet, go for it.

But to have a child take the same risk without understanding it is simply cruel.

There needs to be a mandatory helmet law for children that is absolutely enforced.

Meaning if you wish to endanger the life of your child by not bothering to buy him/her

a helmet, you are basically a crap parent. And when you are stopped by the police,

your motorcycle should be seized until you prove you have a helmet for your child.

This is the correct response to this issue. To simply ban all children from being

on a motorcycle a typical knee jerk nonsense response by the government. As well

as an extreme hardship on poor people that do not have a car...

I agree with what you say to a certain extent but please explain how the poor folks(quite a few of them in TH) are going to afford your expensive and safe farang helmet? Not just 1 but several

Something between the salad bowl with straps that Thais use, and an expensive

farang helmet. I have said for years that the government should hand out free

quality helmets, then either fine the hell out of people who do not wear them,

or seize the bike on the spot if a child is not wearing one. That is a clear cut

case of child endangerment, screw the nanny state argument. It would be a

win win , as the government would save billions of baht on medical care .

I have no sympathy for the parents who put their children on motor bikes without helmets. Typical comment " what will I do if I cannot put my child on a motor bike to go to school"

Well what will you do if your child's brains are splattered all over the road ?

Typical sad Thai mentality

parents are right to be upset. But then again I blame the police. I thought it was a law saying only 2 people on a motor bike and they had to have helmets. But then again I only have to read these laws not enforce them. If I was a cop I would be the richest cop and the most hated from writing fines.

So every country in the world is looking out for the safety on the road and safety for the children and making sure that every one wears helmets and make sure the people/children obey rules and regulations,,,,,So what do they do in LOS ,,(Land Of Social disgrace),, ? They just don't give a tuck .

beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

Thing is: Children should always wear a helmet, which is usually not the case AND you should have a special kiddy seat when they're under 4.

Simple as that. Any responsible parent should know that. Now this will be another way to squeeze some money out of the public.

First off I agree that children should wear a helmet.

But as for the special kiddy seat??? And if there is such a thing, can you strap four of them on a Click?

God forbids should the bike wrapped around a lamp post.

Go to vietnam and check out helmet usage...it is RARE to see anyone without a helmet either driver or passengers....and certainly all vietnamese are not exactly rich. It is obvious that the helmet law in Vietnam is enforced on a regular basis....if Thailand could just match vietnamese helmet usage there is no doubt that the death toll would decline tremendously.

The answer is pretty simple.... allow parents to take their kids etc on the bike BUT do so responsibly.. so this means

1. wearing helmets (especially important for the kids). Helmets are cheap plastic things in Thailand and introduce a phase in time to allow people to be able to save up and get the helmets rather than just bring the law in overnight. If the Govt was serious about this they could also apply some funding to helmet purchase.

2. Restrain children (say under 5) properly so if they fall asleep they don't fall off. A baby for example may need to be carried in a proper baby carrier either designed for the bike or strapped type to a person (and yes wearing a helmet too)

3. There should be an age limit for kids controlling any vehicle. 10 yr old driving around on bikes is too young. I would say 13.

4. There should be helmet free zones. Eg speed restricted areas in National Parks, private land, beach roads

I know it is difficult to put yourself in the place of those who struggle to make ends meet but there are dangers everywhere and for many, as evidenced by the number of children passengers on motorbikes, it is the only practical form of transport for them. Since Thais are Buddhist, they believe that if they or their child is injured/killed, it is Karma. In Texas, it is not required for adults on motorcycles to wear helmets. People are also allowed to ride in the back of a pick-up truck with no seat belts. It's called 'personal freedom'. I know many of you who grew up with 'nanny state' governments are horrified at the thought of someone having the choice of a less-safe option, but Nanny States are expensive; both in compliance and enforcement. In time, if the political thieving can be minimized, Thailand will grow more prosperous and can afford to force its citizens into cars. Until then, try to put yourself in the place of poor people whose options are limited by their income.

Pennsylvania, U.S.A. repealed it's helmet laws and Hawaii, U.S.A. never had them.

How much "safety rhetoric" has come from manufactures/lobbyists vs real research and statistics? I've seen reports (years ago) that a helmet being worn can cause death. Now that's interesting eh?

Talk about comparing apples and oranges! The number of motorcycle riders in PA and HI compared to those in Thailand! We are talking apples and watermelons here! Law enforcement in PA and HI compared to Thailand. Drunk driving in PA and HI compared to Thailand. The sheer number of deaths from motorcycles in PA and HI versus Thailand!

Gotta say, you picked a real s*@t example to make your rather ambiguous case.

Do you REALLY believe that wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle here in Thailand is more dangerous than NOT wearing one???

NO, it is NOT interesting, it's absurd!

It is a correct example, just because you are pro helmet use, it does make you right.

Statistics have proven in states where it was compulsory, when repealed there was no difference in death rates.

But quite likely increased the human vegetable rates.

• Like 1

There is simply NO way of enforcing this in any rural areas so helmets or not it makes no difference the nearest medical emergency team are 30 minutes away.

The only time there's cops in the village is when there's parties, great idea but unworkable out of the major cities.

and of course she has one too. Every day, I see a lot of parents come to pick up

their kids on motorcycles . The parent of course has a helmet, but no helmet for

their child...... In exasperation, sometimes I will point this out by pointing to my

daughter putting her helmet on, and their child having no helmet. Their response

I am not a fan of a nanny state. If you do not want to wear a helmet, go for it.

But to have a child take the same risk without understanding it is simply cruel.

There needs to be a mandatory helmet law for children that is absolutely enforced.

Meaning if you wish to endanger the life of your child by not bothering to buy him/her

a helmet, you are basically a crap parent. And when you are stopped by the police,

your motorcycle should be seized until you prove you have a helmet for your child.

This is the correct response to this issue. To simply ban all children from being

on a motorcycle a typical knee jerk nonsense response by the government. As well

I agree with what you say to a certain extent but please explain how the poor folks(quite a few of them in TH) are going to afford your expensive and safe farang helmet? Not just 1 but several

a properly strapped cheap 350-baht helmet can already help a lot.

Somebody is mocking here in the forum that on a picture Dad is wearing a helmet and the children dont. Its normal in Thailand as Dad gets a ticket caught while not wearing a helmet and the children not. The moment they start writing out tickets to the parents of the children for them not wearing a helmet the problem will be solved soon. I dont understand why they dont say that everybody on a motorcycle needs to wear a helmet. No exception and just write out a fine when they dont listen.The moment it costs money they will start listening.

Ever seen how those open school taxi's look like? As if they are safe? yeah right !! Not !! The problem is not only the motorcyclist or those unsafe schoolbusses, its also the way people and truckers drive in Thailand. It is most likely they will hit such school-taxi's and will cause many more casualties at once. I dont know if i would trust my child in the hands of a schoolbus driver. I rather bring them to school myselves.

But a valid point is when driving by car you would most likely run into a traffic jam and children will get less sleep as they have to get up sooner in order to avoid the traffic jams.

Yup, good to hold that head together while the brain is mush.

• Like 1

I love my freedom here and riding my bike with NO helmet, it is called freedom and I hate all the nanny state do gooders who preach about safety all the time, jeees it is not safe to walk down the street so we will all have to stay indoors in padded cells to stop hurting ourselves!!!! Live your life how you want to and stop telling others how to live theirs.

I could not agree more. One of the many reasons I love living here. I am a bit fed up of these little western nazis trying to impose there values on places like Thailand. If the law doesnt effect you stop trying to impose it on others. I know when I get in a car without a seat belt or bike without a helmet that it is more unsafe. My choice end of. I dont need a government to try and save me from myself.

Have you actually read what this thread is about?

Yes so whats your point?

i think the point is your to juvenile to think for yourself so big brother has to step in to guide you.

• Like 1

Yup, good to hold that head together while the brain is mush.
So because they cannot afford 2000+ baht helmets they shouldn't wear one. Something is better than nothing. Go back and read the post about I'll hammer your helmet less head while you hammer my 300 baht helmeted one.

See who comes out of it better.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

Somebody is mocking here in the forum that on a picture Dad is wearing a helmet and the children dont. Its normal in Thailand as Dad gets a ticket caught while not wearing a helmet and the children not. The moment they start writing out tickets to the parents of the children for them not wearing a helmet the problem will be solved soon. I dont understand why they dont say that everybody on a motorcycle needs to wear a helmet. No exception and just write out a fine when they dont listen.The moment it costs money they will start listening.

Ever seen how those open school taxi's look like? As if they are safe? yeah right !! Not !! The problem is not only the motorcyclist or those unsafe schoolbusses, its also the way people and truckers drive in Thailand. It is most likely they will hit such school-taxi's and will cause many more casualties at once. I dont know if i would trust my child in the hands of a schoolbus driver. I rather bring them to school myselves.

But a valid point is when driving by car you would most likely run into a traffic jam and children will get less sleep as they have to get up sooner in order to avoid the traffic jams.

Send them to bed earlier.

Or do they have to be rocket scientists?

The law states you cannot ride on the wrong side of the road - it's ignored

The law states youust wear a helmet - it's ignored (as an aside I was pulled over as a passenger with no helmet and fined whilst dozens of Thai riders passed by with no helmet and multiple pillion riders so the law IS understood by police but selectively enforced especially for foreigners)

There are dozens if traffic laws simply ignored by police.

My point is what is the point of yet another law which everyone will just ignore.

I would like to see those who want "freedom" to make stupid choices, that is, ride without a helmet, have special id or sticker on motorcycle stating "Ignore injuries. Let rider find own way to hospital and/or morgue."

Banning children looks like they are doing something, but like all law enforcement here, it will be haphazard at best, perhaps just another way to shake down the people, or?

"The law, in it's infinite wisdom, punishes rich and poor alike for sleeping under bridges or carrying children on motorbikes". How many of the geniuses who come up with their ideas even own a motorbike? It's 4 wheels or nothing.

So trying to bring the road toll down is a violation of people's rights. This country will never move forward with attitudes like that.

you have a nanny state attitude and clearly dont live in thailand. If you did you would realise that most families can only afford a moped and thus the only means by which they can take the kids to school. Banning this will never work

• Like 1

Look at the pic!

Long as dad's head protected!

Exactly - it always amazes me how the parents will wear a helmet but leave their children unprotected.

Do you really think Thais wear helmets for protection and not just to avoid a fine?

I know it is difficult to put yourself in the place of those who struggle to make ends meet but there are dangers everywhere and for many, as evidenced by the number of children passengers on motorbikes, it is the only practical form of transport for them. Since Thais are Buddhist, they believe that if they or their child is injured/killed, it is Karma. In Texas, it is not required for adults on motorcycles to wear helmets. People are also allowed to ride in the back of a pick-up truck with no seat belts. It's called 'personal freedom'. I know many of you who grew up with 'nanny state' governments are horrified at the thought of someone having the choice of a less-safe option, but Nanny States are expensive; both in compliance and enforcement. In time, if the political thieving can be minimized, Thailand will grow more prosperous and can afford to force its citizens into cars. Until then, try to put yourself in the place of poor people whose options are limited by their income.

Pennsylvania, U.S.A. repealed it's helmet laws and Hawaii, U.S.A. never had them.

How much "safety rhetoric" has come from manufactures/lobbyists vs real research and statistics? I've seen reports (years ago) that a helmet being worn can cause death. Now that's interesting eh?

So trying to bring the road toll down is a violation of people's rights. This country will never move forward with attitudes like that.

you have a nanny state attitude and clearly dont live in thailand. If you did you would realise that most families can only afford a moped and thus the only means by which they can take the kids to school. Banning this will never work

@chooka was referring to what a Thai government official said.

Time for you to go back and read the OP.

In many parts of the country there is no other way for parents to get their kids anywhere, school, doctor wherever other than to use their only form of transport their motorbike. There are no school buses or public transport in many places so there is no alternative other than walking long distances.

Rather than a ban make helmets for kids easily available and cheap, even free in some poor areas to poor parents.

How many children are killed on bikes when with their parents ? I would suspect few as parents would be more careful with kids aboard.

Most of the deaths and injuries on bikes would be from those who race around, no helmets, no license.

More and better policing rather than bans and stickers.

I am just wondering if the chief of police and law makers own a sticker printing firm!

A lot of road deaths and accidents would be avoided here if there was actual proper driving schools to teach locals how to drive properly, cars, bikes, lorries and so on.

It would also help a lot if they actually drove, while learning to drive or ride a bike, and tested them on public roads and not some off road area.

Limiting the power of a bike for younger drivers be great too, like 49/50CC for 14 year olds. In Spain power for your first two years of passing full motorbike driving test you must have a limiter that limits the power to just 17HP, regardless of engine size.

Not to mention, actually failing poor drivers and none of the save face and just pass everybody.And making it a criminal offense, like the UK to drive without a proper valid licence. I do Believe in UK you can get a couple of months in the slammer for that..not a 100/200 baht fine.

In many parts of the country there is no other way for parents to get their kids anywhere, school, doctor wherever other than to use their only form of transport their motorbike. There are no school buses or public transport in many places so there is no alternative other than walking long distances.

Rather than a ban make helmets for kids easily available and cheap, even free in some poor areas to poor parents.

How many children are killed on bikes when with their parents ? I would suspect few as parents would be more careful with kids aboard.

Most of the deaths and injuries on bikes would be from those who race around, no helmets, no license.

Agreed.

We are quick to criticize when we carry our kids around in a 5 seat sedan or maybe an 8 seat SUV.

For many families in Thailand the only form of transportation that the entire family has is one beat up old motorcycle.

The real problem is that instead of banning kids on motorcycles they should be banning the making of the kids in the first place.

It is cheaper to make a kid here than to buy a motorcycle.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Enforcing mandatory helmet laws and drink driving laws would save a lot of tragedy.

A bit training and a proper driving test would help too.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I believe since the UK introduced compulsory helmet wearing, deaths have gone down but para and quadraplegics have gone up. They survived the crash but get severely injured. I think I would rather die.

As long as an adult is driving it and the kids are passengers (one at a time-maybe two), that's fine...kids should not be the main drivers EVER...too irresponsible and careless...

And the age of the kids are over 6 and under 10, if there are 2 of them, and everyone is wearing a properly secured helmet. And that the driver is properly licensed. And that the bike is properly insured and road worthy. Etc etc etc. Edited by Keesters