Best (high quality) networking equipment store in CNX

LivinLOS

Normally I would just wander round Pantip or the tech malls etc but am still not mobile and my ADSL modem decided to die today, it has to be replaced but want to keep walking (limping) to an absolute minimum.

I need the best ADSL modem I can buy and I could probably do with a 16 port gigabit switch also. Thats optional extra though.

Looking for highly fault tolerant business grade networking gear if it exists retail here. Sick of the kind of cheap home consumer level stuff that locks up when faced with torrenting, video streaming, or fluctuating power. Cisco Linksys commercial grade equipment.

When I look, theres 10s of stores selling chinese junk 99 baht USB hubs in every flouro color known to man, or piles of cheap CDRs, but cant think of a store carrying much in the higher end ??

I bought a Asus DSL-N55U router a year ago in Panthip Plaza. Easy enough to find, but you DO need to wander around.

Maybe identify the model router you want and send somebody to Panthip to wander for you?

They do have most high end ASUS models there

Edited by kilt

Goodspeed at Computer Plaza have a decent selection of routers. I also bought an Asus DSL-N55U which is a 4 port gigabit dual band wireless ADSL router and am very pleased with it so far. Goodspeed have some high spec devices and almost certainly a 16 port gigabit switch as well. Khun Somphob the owner speaks English 0185 686 473. I've never had service or returns issues with this company.

Cisco Linksys is the worst modem I've owned. Broke twice. Fortunately, both times still under warranty, and Goodspeed replaced it, although the second time I had to wait several months. Convinced them to let me borrow some other modem while waiting after it started to take a while. Then the Linksys broke again. I was fooled by the Cisco name, but this product has nothing to do with Cisco's pro network gear is my suspicion.

Also lacked some rather basic features that I have never seen missing on other home modems. Staying far away from Linksys now.

Edited by Awk

You can usually park right in front of Computer Plaza. They'll give you a ticket to get stamped like at Panthip - there's a stall near the back on the right that just leaves the stamp and pad out so you can DIY if you were only browsing.

Incidentally, for those who haven't been recently, Icon Square (the next one down from Computer Plaza) has been cleared and many of the vendors have moved into the back area of Computer Plaza where the Amorn service centre used to be. There is some duplication, such as JIB which has a unit there, but it's noteworthy for a couple of places that have a large selection of dash cams on display. Maybe they even know something about them!

Check out Lazada.com... They deliver COD

All well and good but my modem was dead.. I needed to come home with one..

I will say Good speed were on the ball.. I was a bit reluctant to jump onto an all in one setup as I am probably putting in a FTTH connection soon, so buying an all in one combo device with built in modem was perhaps not the direction.. He was quick to point that out even tho it was not helping his sale, an unusual trait but noted that he was offering the right solution for me more than him.

A quick bit of research yesterday had me shopping for the RT66U which he didnt have in stock and being Sat couldnt be 100% sure on price, hes taken my number and calling Monday (we will see) he also had sales info for the more SoHo kind of stuff I was after. I think this place is probably my goto for items now. Thanks.

I bought a ASUS DSL AC68U, A bit expensive but great wireless coverage.

Interesting as it seems that covers the fiber connections also..

Those Asus all in ones seem pretty feature packed.

EDIT :: The 'future proofing' is just with ethernet WAN to be in router mode.. Still its not a lot more than the RT66U seems to be..

Edited by LivinLOS

To 2 previous posts comparing asus models, dont know the specific numbers so ignore me if wrong but looks like one was AC (latest fastest wifi) and the other wasnt based on model number alone.

To the person dismissing linksys, 100% correct they are not cisco despite the branding. But... I challenge you to show me a more reliable router than a linksys wrt-54g(l). Outdated now but tried and tested amazing and I still use several.

To anyone that knows that tomato is not just a fruit, choose based on firmware support more than hardware, since it will make the difference.

And to summarise, my most recent purchase was an older model Asus that can run tomato or ddwrt and works great although not AC. Would have loved the latest Asus AC model but benefits didnt justify the 5x price increase in my personal view.

Finally, if you want pro level, ThaiInterNetwork.com is the best I know of, though personally I would go pro switch and consumer router with opensource firmware in your situation.

Reason I may go with the RT66U is it seems it can run optware and host a mysql server (as I think a tomato modified router will ??)..

That would allow me to juggle some things around that I have in my setup to a possibly more streamlined solution.