Explosion of New Good Quality Affordable Indian Restaurants in Pattaya

Jingthing

Perhaps others have noticed.

In the last recent months, there have been MANY Indian restaurant openings in Pattaya.

The trend is the quality is going up and the prices are going down.

This thread is dedicated to these NEWER Indian restaurants.

It is not meant to be a rehash to discuss Indian restaurants that are long established.

New Ones:thumbsup.gif

Balle Balle

2nd road, west side, north of Pattaya Klang

Punjabi food only

Small menu

Prices remarkably low

Owned by the long established Ali Baba

(adjacent to it is a much more fancy full menu place called Crown of India, also owned by Ali Baba)

Curry Home

Soi Buakow

Related to the Indian operation that used to be at Good Eats

Totally new menu

Moderate Prices

Some unusual hard to find menu items

Royal Indian Masala

2nd road north of South Pattaya Road next to Pars Iranian Restaurant

Moderate Prices

Specialty Punjabi but wide menu

Has the feel of being the REAL DEAL Indian experience

Red Chili

2nd road north of South Pattaya Road further towards the overpass

Moderate prices / Cheap thalis

Honey Guest House and Multi Cuisine Restaurant

Unusual Thalis

As you Indian food lovers try these NEW Indian restaurants, please post your specific impressions about the different restaurants and dishes to tis thread.

Please avoid making this thread about ALL the Indian restaurants in town.

There are really too many so the idea here is to FOCUS attention on these new ones, some of which are promising indeed.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed some new Indian places opening, mostly around the Sun City "Little India" area, but all of them seem to be overpriced and empty which is par for the course when it comes to Indian places in Pattaya. They certainly dont do anything to attract me inside.

I've not noticed any of the places mentioned above, but am interested by them and will go and have a look. But it would be helpful to quantify phrases like "prices remarkably low", "moderate prices" and "cheap" by quoting the approximate price in Baht of a dish or meal as well.

This probably just reflects the change of tourists that visit Pattaya and Thailand in general.

I will continue to eat my Indian food in KL or Penang, but any reviews regarding those new places in Pattaya are appreciated anyway....

I gave up on the ratty Indian restaurants in Pattaya a long time ago. Far tastier and healthier to cook you own Indian food at home.

This is exactly the kind of off topic negativity bomb I was hoping this thread wouldn't attract. You can post what you want. You can cook what you want. What you posted has nothing to do with the actual topic though.

This probably just reflects the change of tourists that visit Pattaya and Thailand in general.

I will continue to eat my Indian food in KL or Penang, but any reviews regarding those new places in Pattaya are appreciated anyway....

Yes there is a visible increase in Indian tourists and also other nationalities like it as well, such as Middle Eastern people and of course some westerners.

My very rough guideline for typical lamb curry dish as an example to explain my concept for Indian food price levels in Pattaya.

400 baht expensive

250 baht moderate

under 200 cheap

Obviously you have to look at the entire menu of a place. Some places have seemingly low prices on some items and high prices on others.

Balle Balle doesn't have lamb but their prices are dramatically lower than moderate priced places.

For example their veggie dishes are well under 100 baht and their chicken biryani is 120 baht.

They do add 7 percent but it's still low priced with that.

With their Punjabi only limited size menu they're clearly going after a price conscious Indian demographic.

Also free water is offered.

Their baigan bharta, roasted eggplant curry, 90 baht plus 7 percent:

post-37101-0-99350400-1426402193_thumb.j

Dudes ... I don't want to make this thread all about MY "reviews" -- I'm encouraging y'all to get out there and try out these new places and having some fun with discovering what you like and what you don't like about them.

Edited by Jingthing

Balle Balle doesn't have lamb but their prices are dramatically lower than moderate priced places.

For example their veggie curries are well under 100 baht and their chicken biryani is 120 baht.

With their Punjabi only limited size menu they're clearly going after a price conscious Indian demographic.

That's the sort of pricing information I like to know. Thanks.

Dudes ... I don't want to make this thread all about MY "reviews" -- I'm encouraging y'all to get out there and try out these new places and having some fun with discovering what you like and what you don't like about them.

Indeed, and I'm much more likely to go and try something if I know in advance approximately what food they do and approximately how much they charge for it.

By contrast Jomtien has lost it's only Chinese restaurant. The Chow Box on Pratamnack Hill seems to have closed. Not surprising as i never saw any customers.

Not true.

There is still the expensive Sichuan Chinese restaurant I've commented about on the Hit and Run review thread. It is located behind the Country Road bar not far from the Police Box.

Anyway, this thread is about new Indian restaurants.

Oh.

I just remembered ANOTHER new one.

It's on a soi running into 2nd road just north of South Pattaya Road.

You can easily see it from 2nd road, big sign.

I'll post the name when I see it again.

Edited by Jingthing

"Balle Balle 2nd road, west side, north of Pattaya Klang"

JingThing, thank you for this valuable info but you usually do better than that with your directions. This place sounds good but your directions are vague.

This review in Pattaya Mail says Balle Balle is in "Second Road Plaza" (which I've never heard of). Then bizarrely it says "between soi 4 and 6". There is a soi 5 there on Second Road so surely they could have managed either "between soi 4 and 5" or "between soi 5 and 6"?

http://www.pattayamail.com/features/crown-of-india-balle-balle-restaurants-celebrate-grand-opening-45388

Where is Balle Balle exactly (more or less) pretty please?

Ah, I drove past that Balle Balle place on the evening of its gala opening. Quite crowded. I nearly stopped and went in but I had an appointment for dinner elsewhere so I couldn't.

It's on 2nd road, beach side, not far from soi 6.

Somewhere around here, I think: https://goo.gl/maps/HfZRZ

You certainly cant miss it.

Ah, I drove past that Balle Balle place on the evening of its gala opening. Quite crowded. I nearly stopped and went in but I had an appointment for dinner elsewhere so I couldn't.

It's on 2nd road, beach side, not far from soi 6.

Somewhere around here, I think: https://goo.gl/maps/HfZRZ

You certainly cant miss it.

That looks like it's on the west (beach) side of Second Road, between Pattayaklang and Soi 6/1, very close to Soi 6/1?

Soi 6/1 (known to some as 'ladyboy alley') is immediately to the south of Soi 6.

Are these NEWER restaurants actually Indian...or as per the norm Nepaleese?

Why not try them all out and do a passport check and report back?

Tonight I tried the chicken biryani at Balle x2 at 120 baht. It was decent and included a small bowl of raita. Also had some rajma masala the Punjabi pinto bean comfort food. 85 baht.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing

Are these NEWER restaurants actually Indian...or as per the norm Nepaleese?

Why not try them all out and do a passport check and report back?

It seemed like a serious question to me.

Many "Indian" places here do indeed have Nepalese chefs. Not that there is anything intrinsically wrong with that. I had some very nice curry here prepared by Gurkas from the British Embassy.

Most "Indian" places in the UK aren't really Indian either.

Jingthing

For example their veggie dishes are well under 100 baht and their chicken biryani is 120 baht.

Their baigan bharta, roasted eggplant curry, 90 baht plus 7 percent:

Balle Balle

21299467bn.jpg

The cheapest non-vegetarian dish is the 'chicken curry' for 150 Baht. Butter chicken comes for 300 Baht. The vegetarian food is indeed very cheap.

Sorry, I cut the NV-prices accidentally.

21299459yz.jpg

The waiter recommended the not spicy Butter Chicken.

We wanted to eat spicy curries and he suggested the Chicken Curry and the Chicken Keema.

21299462sp.jpg

The Chicken Keema was too spicy and salty for my significant other, but good for me.

Don't expect to much meat. The Chicken Curry comes with two pieces of chicken, the Chicken Keema just with one. Only 20% of the pieces are meat, the rest are bones.

It was okay for me, as I enjoyed more the delicious curry sauce with bread.

Next time, I'll try the vegetarian food. I guess, this will be a better price-quality-ratio.

21299609mj.jpg

The only good restaurant indian I found in Thailand was in Chiang mai the spicy I try I lot in Pattaya but non of them was so good like in the north

Sorry but this thread is only about new Indian places in Pattaya. You can't know what they are like unless you actually try them. Then you have cred to diss.

False info was posted about the butter chicken at Balle. It is 200 not 300. The full size chicken tandoori is 300. Probably the cause of that confusion.

Edited by Jingthing

Perhaps others have noticed.

In the last recent months, there have been MANY Indian restaurant openings in Pattaya.

The trend is the quality is going up and the prices are going down.

This thread is dedicated to these NEWER Indian restaurants.

It is not meant to be a rehash to discuss Indian restaurants that are long established.

New Ones:thumbsup.gif

Balle Balle

2nd road, west side, north of Pattaya Klang

Punjabi food only

Small menu

Prices remarkably low

Owned by the long established Ali Baba

(adjacent to it is a much more fancy full menu place called Crown of India, also owned by Ali Baba)

Curry Home

Soi Buakow

Related to the Indian operation that used to be at Good Eats

Totally new menu

Moderate Prices

Some unusual hard to find menu items

Royal Indian Masala

2nd road north of South Pattaya Road next to Pars Iranian Restaurant

Moderate Prices

Specialty Punjabi but wide menu

Has the feel of being the REAL DEAL Indian experience

Red Chili

Moderate prices / Cheap thalis

Honey Guest House and Multi Cuisine Restaurant

Unusual Thalis

As you Indian food lovers try these NEW Indian restaurants, please post your specific impressions about the different restaurants and dishes to tis thread.

Please avoid making this thread about ALL the Indian restaurants in town.

There are really too many so the idea here is to FOCUS attention on these new ones, some of which are promising indeed.

Balla balla is closed. They will do anther business there.

Curry house soi buacao is just south of soi Diana to help people find it.

Royal masala is south of 2nd road not north.

Wow. Oops.

Royal Masala, Red Chili, and Honey are ALL south of South Pattaya Road, not north of South Pattaya Road.

I would still call them all on 2nd road.

On maps that road is 2nd road until the overpass I think.

Balle Balle just opened!

You're saying it is closing already?

What about the other restaurant right next to it with the fancier presentation?

Edited by Jingthing

Wow. Oops.

Royal Masala, Red Chili, and Honey are ALL south of South Pattaya Road, not north of South Pattaya Road.

I would still call them all on 2nd road.

On maps that road is 2nd road until the overpass I think.

Balle Balle just opened!

You're saying it is closing already?

What about the other restaurant right next to it with the fancier presentation?

Yes bella is closed, the place next door same owner will stay open. A bit too pricy for me though.

Royal indian masala was good. Better than many other places i have been around town.