Explosion of New Good Quality Affordable Indian Restaurants in Pattaya

Jingthing

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many Pakistani food places are there in Pattaya?

That's probably the reason why nowhere does a decent so called Indian curry.

I'm tired of people parroting such dated information.

The truth is there is now decent Indian food available in today's Pattaya.

BTW, I think INDIGO is "new" enough to be included in the list of new Indian places which are the SPECIFIC focus of THIS thread.

That one is on 2nd road and really is north of South Pattaya road.

I have heard good things about it, it's a little pricier, but I haven't yet sampled.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing

Balle Balle doesn't have lamb but their prices are dramatically lower than moderate priced places.

For example their veggie dishes are well under 100 baht and their chicken biryani is 120 baht.

They do add 7 percent but it's still low priced with that.

With their Punjabi only limited size menu they're clearly going after a price conscious Indian demographic.

Also free water is offered.

Their baigan bharta, roasted eggplant curry, 90 baht plus 7 percent:

Balle Balle

21299467bn.jpg

The cheapest non-vegetarian dish is the 'chicken curry' for 150 Baht. Butter chicken comes for 300 Baht. The vegetarian food is indeed very cheap.

Sorry, I cut the NV-prices accidentally.

21299459yz.jpg

The waiter recommended the not spicy Butter Chicken.

We wanted to eat spicy curries and he suggested the Chicken Curry and the Chicken Keema.

21299462sp.jpg

The Chicken Keema was too spicy and salty for my significant other, but good for me.

Don't expect to much meat. The Chicken Curry comes with two pieces of chicken, the Chicken Keema just with one. Only 20% of the pieces are meat, the rest are bones.

It was okay for me, as I enjoyed more the delicious curry sauce with bread.

Next time, I'll try the vegetarian food. I guess, this will be a better price-quality-ratio.

21299609mj.jpg

The invoice is illegal for vat purposes and I doubt if they ever remitted the collected taxes to the tax office. I think a vat id no isrequired.

No wonder they closed.

Their "free" water costs 15 baht. An "explosion" of Indian restaurants is very apt. I'm no fan of Indian food, but from my travails around Pattaya, I do get the impression that the restaurants are targetting the coaches/busses full of Indian tourists and at other times are practically empty.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Royal Indian Masala as a result of reading here.

Enjoyed my meal,poppadoms nan bread, chicken tikka masala & pilau rice.

First 2 items, have had better, last 2 and the most important really were better than other places I`ve tried.

They do seem to be putting some effort in.

I was a little curious as to the pricing of poppadoms, seemed high and made a comment to the owner, which was well received and explained.

Other items all OK price wise.

I will go back, glad to have found a fairly decent Indian restaurant, tried a fair few others that have been disappointing.

• 1 month later...

It's becoming hard to keep up with the expanding INDIAN food scene in Pattaya!

Anyway, for a start, here is some news.

Balle Balle is now Rango Steakhouse. Not Indian.

Next door Crown of India has now expanded space and become something rather exciting, a higher end 7 day week BUFFET restaurant.

They have the buffet for lunch and dinner, with dinner starting at 7 P.M.

What makes this special is included in the buffet are some kinds of freshly cooked meat kebabs / tandoori meats, something you will never see here on a cheaper price buffet.

That feature is for dinner only.

The cost is about 330 PLUS PLUS, so it adds up.

Lunch is cheaper.

That is something I've been hoping for for years in Pattaya.

A higher end Indian buffet restaurant that includes freshly cooked tandoori meats.

Well, it's here now and nobody seems to know about it!
Dudes ... check it out and if you like it SUPPORT it ... because the location isn't great and if they don't get the support ... it can't possibly last.

Alas, there is another promising new Indian BUFFET restaurant in town, this one without tandoori and priced at 250.

Starts at 8 P.M. for dinner but also lunch.

This place is on Soi 1, North Pattaya, between 2nd and Beach.

Place is called

MUMBAI'S GREAT PUNJAB RESTAURANT.

The place is very large for the buffet, hosting groups probably daily.

Next door to the buffet hall is a smaller regular restaurant with an impressive extensive menu featuring reasonable level prices for Pattaya.

For example, chicken kadai at 230.

Mutton curries, 280.

I have not tried with buffet yet, but will.

The most interesting thing to me about the Mumbai place is that the menu is very large and has some items I've never seen on any menu. Time for google!

BTW, there are even more new ones.

I really can't keep up!

Edited by Jingthing

Oh, I think maybe something isn't clear enough from my BUFFET NEWS post before.

I have not YET tried the buffets at either Crown of India or Mumbai's Great Pubjab.

I plan to ... but like I said, so many good places to eat now ... got to pace things.

I have tried the regular menu at Crown before they converted into a buffet restaurant and found the quality quite good but not great.

I think that level of quality in a buffet plus the offer of fresh kebabs/tandoori to the table would reflect excellent value for Pattaya at 330 plus plus.

I think they still have at least some of their old a la carte menu, particularly a South Indian menu with dosas, etc.

As people try some of these new places, please report back.

Edited by Jingthing

Hello,

So if Balle is not any more an Indian restaurant, can I know what is the cheapest Indian here now, buffet or not ?

For example about Chinese it seems that the cheapest restaurant is the one close to north Pattaya right ? (on South Pattaya road)

Thank you.

We can't comment on the quality of English in a post but yours makes no sense, in North Pattaya on South Pattaya Rd they are approx 2km or more apart.

Anyway this isn't about Chinese food.

There are several low cost thali places in South Pattaya. 150 for veg is typical.

Checking them all out is not on my agenda but if people want to report on them here that is fine.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing

all to often meat dishes are 80% sauce and the rest well ahh meat i guess. to eat a good indian meal u nees all the trimmings, bread, rice, samosas, curry and beer so 500 baht or u just feel under done and lets face it vegetarian curry just doesnt cut it. I dont think there is any cheap indian food in my opinion anyway.

all to often meat dishes are 80% sauce and the rest well ahh meat i guess. to eat a good indian meal u nees all the trimmings, bread, rice, samosas, curry and beer so 500 baht or u just feel under done and lets face it vegetarian curry just doesnt cut it. I dont think there is any cheap indian food in my opinion anyway.

I didn't say cheap.

Buffets are less than that.

Thalis are less than that.

I eat full Indian meals here regularly with a meat dish and also dal or veg. for less than that but I don't need samosas or beer.

I look at prices closely and the truth is with all the competition, the prices are generally getting MORE COMPETITIVE especially with the newer places.

Edited by Jingthing

I tried Royal Indian Masala as a result of reading here.

Enjoyed my meal,poppadoms nan bread, chicken tikka masala & pilau rice.

First 2 items, have had better, last 2 and the most important really were better than other places I`ve tried.

They do seem to be putting some effort in.

I was a little curious as to the pricing of poppadoms, seemed high and made a comment to the owner, which was well received and explained.

Other items all OK price wise.

I will go back, glad to have found a fairly decent Indian restaurant, tried a fair few others that have been disappointing.

That place is a gem. clap2.gif

Given that uncooked poppadoms can be bought quite cheaply at Makro, I wonder what sort of price this place charges for cooked ones and what the explanation was?

Given that uncooked poppadoms can be bought quite cheaply at Makro, I wonder what sort of price this place charges for cooked ones and what the explanation was?

It's a triviality. The prices at that place are quite reasonable overall.

A triviality maybe, but it interests me which is why I asked. And apparently it was interesting enough for Seasia to mention it specifically.

If you aren't interested you could always just ignore the question.

A triviality maybe, but it interests me which is why I asked. And apparently it was interesting enough for Seasia to mention it specifically.

Sure thing.

You're right ... I'm not interested as I never order poppadoms .

The nan there is 25 baht. That price reflects the general price level at that restaurant.

Hi

If I recall correctly the charge was 120 baht for 4 small poppadoms, comparing to the other Indian restaurant that I have eaten at sometimes, namely Tikka Centre on soi bukhao, more expensive,

Reason given was that the ingredients to make them have gone up.

Whether true or not I do not know.

If I recall correctly the charge was 120 baht for 4 small poppadoms, comparing to the other Indian restaurant that I have eaten at sometimes, namely Tikka Centre on soi bukhao, more expensive,

Reason given was that the ingredients to make them have gone up.

That's a hefty mark-up in any country.

If they are small ones I'm willing to bet that they buy them at Makro as I do, where they cost about 2B each in packets of around 15. Very nice they are too.

Haven't read the thread in detail but am inclined to ask why the OP believe there is such an "explosion of Indian restaurants", if indeed that is the case (stats might help)?

Is the alleged increase driven by demand, profitability or other factors?