Parents told to protect children from drowning

Lite Beer

Parents told to protect children from drowning

AYUTTHAYA, 15 March 2015 (NNT) – Doctors have warned adults to be extra cautious about their children’s pastime during the school break, during which period the number of children dying from drowning is usually high.

Doctors’ warning came in response to recent statistics which showed nearly 20,000 children aged below 15 drown over the past 10 years. On average, four children die of water submersion and inhalation each day. Drowning in children mainly arises from adults’ and children’s failure to pay attention to their waterfront neighborhood.

For families with toddlers, doctors suggested that all types of water containers, including bath tubs be either cleared of water or covered with a lid. Those living near canals or rivers should install fences or heighten the existing ones to prevent their little kids from falling into water.

Doctors also advised parents to send their kids out for a swimming course and teach them how to use life jackets. Parents should at the same time learn how to give first aid to those who drown, as hypoxia could lead to com

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-15 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

"Doctors also advised parents to send their kids out for a swimming course and teach them how to use life jackets. Parents should at the same time learn how to give first aid to those who drown, as hypoxia could lead to com"

Teaching children to swim is the obvious solution, but difficult in Thailand, safely, because so few swimming pools .

Note to local councils and schools: BUILD SWIMMIMG POOLS, and put swimming into the curriculum!

And the figure quoted is not correct. 7 children (under the age of 15) drown in Thailand EVERY day.

Hey, Fat Haggis, they must have read your comment in the children/motorcycle thread. Parents around the world need to be reminded of the dangers of even a pail with water as children are top-heavy and if they bend over the pail to look inside, they may fall in, head first, and drown before they can react. It takes only a teaspoon of water in the lungs to drown. It happens everywhere and not just Thailand. I can never understand the anti-Thai bitterness on this forum. Why the negativity at anything that is done to improve the quality of life here? I'm referring to your posts on this thread: Fiddlesticks, DM07, LuckyLew, and jaywalker.

• Like 1

Hey, Fat Haggis, they must have read your comment in the children/motorcycle thread. Parents around the world need to be reminded of the dangers of even a pail with water as children are top-heavy and if they bend over the pail to look inside, they may fall in, head first, and drown before they can react. It takes only a teaspoon of water in the lungs to drown. It happens everywhere and not just Thailand. I can never understand the anti-Thai bitterness on this forum. Why the negativity at anything that is done to improve the quality of life here? I'm referring to your posts on this thread: Fiddlesticks, DM07, LuckyLew, and jaywalker.

@rametindallas

Because it is somehow deemed "Newsworthy" Dude & put on this forum which is really just a place for lampooning the news, such as it is in Thailand.

I love opening the emails I get from Thaivisa about the "News".

Trying to figure out half the headlines & articles are more work than a daily crossword puzzle & 3 games of Soduku combined, and far more entertaining.

Back around 2001 I saw a Pattaya Mail GREAT BIG HEADLINE, that read "BEACH ROAD CLEARED OF ELEPHANTS AND PROSTITUTES"....cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/808917-two-phuket-girls-rob-german-expat-in-revenge-for-breaking-sex-for-iphone-promise/?utm_source=newsletter-20150316-0752&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

I rest my case.

I like your signature line BTW.

I'm a big fan of Dr. Paul.

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 1

I have a resort swimming pool 200m from my home, I go there with my 4 year young twice a week.

I often see Thai families there, many but not all leave their children unattended.

I once jumped in the pool for a 14 year girl in trouble, although she could swim, still dangerous sometimes.

...and by doing that, you clearly must be joking!

"Improve the quality of life here" by telling parents "Hey...don't let your kids drown! It's not good for them!"

What a brilliant way to improve life!

Let me ad some more:"Hey, folks! Don't put that loaded gun in your mouth and pull the trigger!"

"Don't put that blindfold on grandma and let here walk into traffic!"

Glad, I could help to improve life!

Or how about actually being a responsible parent and keeping an eye on your kids? I'm always astonished at how often I see Thai children being exposed to unnecessary risk by mums and dads who find it convenient to leave it to Buddha to decide their offspring's fate. And we know all too well, sadly, the cost of this cavalier attitude to parenting.