immigration at phuket airport

Just wondering if any other offshore workers staying in Phuket have been getting problems while entering the country after being away working? The last 2 times now that i´ve returned from working in africa, and a couple others i know, have been getting taken aside, interviewed about why we are coming so many times to Thailand, 101 questions, you work in thailand, you have girlfriend, why you come here? then asking over and over again...even though i have all my visas, paperwork , never stayed too long, everything i do is according to the law, but every time im getting treated like i´m some illegal immigrant coming here for free benefits...I work away for 1 month and come back to Phuket for about 23 -24 days... I´ve contacted immigration, printed out the law etc etc , have all my flight tickets handy, enough money ...but i´m getting sick and tired getting so much hassell every time i come back now .. I know many in the same job as me going through bangkok and never any problems, so why Phuket treating people like this???

It happens because you have many visa exempt entries, and that triggers a warning in the computer. Other reports are from DMK airports, and occasionally BKK.

Since you do not stay in Thailand all the time on visa exempt, and you work abroad, they can interview (and hassle you), but they have no reason to refuse entry.

Maybe next time ask to talk to the supervisor, take a note of his/her name or get business card, then if it happens again remind him of previous the conversation and that nothing has changed in your case.

• Like 1

Good advice by paz. I suspect the officer does not properly understand the guidelines he was given and is afraid he might do the wrong thing if he did not question you in detail. For your information, these are the guidelines issued in June last year (English translation):

Immigration Bureau guideline 0029.1712076 - visa-exempt out-in checklist

I know of 2 guys(offshore workers) that was told that they had too many visa excempts when going through Phuket immigration and was told to get a proper visa the next time.In Suvarnabhumi there doesn`t seem to be any problems at all for the most of us.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744109-has-anyone-on-2828-or-similar-equal-time-rota-actually-been-refused-entry/page-2

Edited by Yahooka

we also have some guys at work living in Pattaya and bangkok area, they never get any problems, and they have as many stamps in their passport as i do... as it happens , i need to head to Bangkok when i come back in 3 weeks so will see what happens then... For me to get any other kind of visa, would mean me having to go to another country to a thai embassy, as there is not one in the country i work in, bit of a pain in the a55 and added expense