Has anyone on 28/28 or similar equal time rota actually been refused entry ?

diggerdo

Been doing a 4/4 since arriving here in Jan 05.Never a problem.

But one solution........

Company I work for can send me various places at short notice. Many times have to send passport away to London to get the required visas.

Now the office supply a letter, so you can obtain a second passport, since many times need to travel for a last trip while waiting for the new visa.

When the two passports are in my bag. I do not use the one i entered in 8 weeks ago.

That way each passport will have only 3 entries max a year

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been doing a 4/4 since arriving here in Jan 05.Never a problem.

But one solution........

Company I work for can send me various places at short notice. Many times have to send passport away to London to get the required visas.

Now the office supply a letter, so you can obtain a second passport, since many times need to travel for a last trip while waiting for the new visa.

When the two passports are in my bag. I do not use the one i entered in 8 weeks ago.

That way each passport will have only 3 entries max a year

the "passports are linked" so not much help anyway IMHO

ie all immigration needs is your DOB and name and of course they have a picture of your smiling mug and they will see you have entered on two different PP's

the fact you are using two passports will be in immigration computer, they are not that stupid.

I was actually told one time by someone, don't know how true it it is, that the machine readable passports have some coding in the strip which indicates you have a second PP ie the last one you applied for or renewed.

Many years ago I used to use 2 PP they same way you are describing, as was working in countries that didn't like each other, but this was before machine readable PP's, and yes it worked, these days not so sure as everything is data base linked.

I think there was a surge of (reported) stoppages late summer when they initiated these changes that were never fully explained or rigidly enforced. I think they have quietened down now since FIFO's and oil field trash were never the intended 'victims' of the putsch.

I have been going in and out of Thailand for about 10 years on a couple of the new machine readable passports. One has no Thai visa and qualifies for the 30-day permission to stay. The other has my Non-O (retirement extension) and gets me whatever remains on the extension. I would assume that indeed they are now linked but so far, nobody has mentioned this as being a problem. Depending on my work/play schedule, I use both passports equally to enter/leave LOS.

This is totally unlike my experience passport flipping in the US however...

PS. And of course passport flipping in LOS is only an option when entering/leaving through the airports.

I think there was a surge of (reported) stoppages late summer when they initiated these changes that were never fully explained or rigidly enforced. I think they have quietened down now since FIFO's and oil field trash were never the intended 'victims' of the putsch.

I have been going in and out of Thailand for about 10 years on a couple of the new machine readable passports. One has no Thai visa and qualifies for the 30-day permission to stay. The other has my Non-O (retirement extension) and gets me whatever remains on the extension. I would assume that indeed they are now linked but so far, nobody has mentioned this as being a problem. Depending on my work/play schedule, I use both passports equally to enter/leave LOS.

This is totally unlike my experience passport flipping in the US however...

PS. And of course passport flipping in LOS is only an option when entering/leaving through the airports.

Using two passports is not problem from a "legal" stand point for coming and going but poster I think was suggesting immigration wouldn't know about the other PP and the entries in it

pretty sure they would.

as you have correctly said there was an initial panic over the changes and don't think the FIFO guys were ever the target of these changes, yes some may have been asked in the early days of the changes but don't know of anyone who was refused entry and I know quite a few who are flipping backwards and forwards between Angola and a few other places.

mate of mine was refused entry yesterday after completing his 28 days in malaysia at phuket airport and he has a valid non imm O marriage visa they told him he had to stay out for 30 days so 2 more days he is now back in malaysia in a hotel and furious he will try again ,

on Thursday

also yesterday at Donook crossing another pal not an offshore guy went to penang for his a thai comapny to fix an aircraft overnight ,, he has thai work permit and was refused entry even with work permit and all his thai boss in the company car , they are also perplexed and pissed off , he will try to enter again tommorow !!!!

Although Phuket Airport immigration is wrong in stating that he has to stay out of the country for 30 days it is known that Phuket Airport immigration can be sometimes a pain in the backside.

Specially if has a Non-O visa there is no reason at all to refuse him entry.

Unfortunately I heard several reports from people getting refused entry without any proper reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Fairly new passport so only 4 or 5 exemptions, and travel every time.

I don't think that a new passport matters as your immigration record is linked to your name and DOB and therefore they can see your compete travel history.

Most people confirm that offshore rotators should not have problems entering Thailand specially if they fly via Suvarnabhumi airport.

Working 14-28 in the North Sea(Norway) and travel to Thailand 6-7 times every year. My passport is new from june last year, my last arrival on Suvarnabhumi was on okt 20. As usual no questions asked and got my 30 day stamp. This was my 9th entry on my new passport.

I have only traveled to Thailand on visa exemption and never overstayed. My typical trip is about 3 weeks long or about 22-23 days.

Arrived early this morning and there was very few people in the immigration and I was stamped in as usual ;-) 10th entry on this passport and trip number 7 this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told not to come back to Thailand without a Visa yesterday at Phuket Airport. Im on 28/28 rotations. No out/in visa runs in passport.

I explained my work situation and showed them my Sea service book. They just kept saying "too many time come thailand! cannot!"

I also got a hand written warning below my 30 day exempt stamp.

Something similar happened to a friend a while back. I will avoid Phuket Immigration in the future.

Not so many questions. Was not asked for tickets. I came in from Dubai, had not been in TH for 5 weeks. They asked if i had Thai wife. I tried to explain my situation but they were not interested.. "Cannot!".. They also abused an older british lady in front of me, 3 different officers screaming at her because she had forgot her hotel booking/ address.

Im not married to a thai. No dependants. Under 50.

I just had to leave the country again actually, due to an emergency. Returning tomorrow. Will see what happens.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not so many questions. Was not asked for tickets. I came in from Dubai, had not been in TH for 5 weeks. They asked if i had Thai wife. I tried to explain my situation but they were not interested.. "Cannot!".. They also abused an older british lady in front of me, 3 different officers screaming at her because she had forgot her hotel booking/ address.

I just had to leave the country again actually, due to an emergency. Returning tomorrow. Will see what happens.

I had the same story last time I came back to Phuket after my 5 weeks at sea....

The officer told me that a new law giving only 90 days per year in Thailand using the exemption stamp were applied...

Absolutely no trace, anywhere, of a new law saying that, but still, my company doesn't care about this and will most probably send me to Phuket straight away in 4 weeks time.

I will try to use my second passport (even if they are linked....) it might do the trick....

I never faced this kind of situation and don't really know how to react (in a diplomatic way...) in case of refusal....

I had the same story last time I came back to Phuket after my 5 weeks at sea....

The officer told me that a new law giving only 90 days per year in Thailand using the exemption stamp were applied...

Absolutely no trace, anywhere, of a new law saying that, but still, my company doesn't care about this and will most probably send me to Phuket straight away in 4 weeks time.

I will try to use my second passport (even if they are linked....) it might do the trick....

I never faced this kind of situation and don't really know how to react (in a diplomatic way...) in case of refusal....

As a dual national with 3 different nationalities, switching passports might work. But if you have a second passport issued by the same country, it probably won't as they are linked.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say that the officer was talking bulshit as there is no (new) law regarding a 90 day limit per year.

I was questioned when entering on the 10th of April,currently working and living Thailand on 21/21.

Maybe just a jobs worth female immigration officer who asked where i lived and why i can as regular as i did.

She could see from previous 60 day extensions that i had a daughter but still persisted to badger me about having a visa.

I explained in Thai and conversed in English regarding my situation.

She stamped me in and i wished her a happy new year.

Make of what you will,but from my perspective when i renew my passport soon for ease of access i will go to Savanakhet for a one year multi entry non im o visa.

I recently asked some of the people i know that's coming here on rotations. All of them are having hassle. More or less guaranteed at HKT, but one also got it in BKK-SUV.

This "non existing" rule about maximum days, or maximum amount of exempt-stamps in a certain period are often mentioned.

I was told when applying for a Tourist Visa in Singapore a few days ago, that i would have to leave Thailand for at least 3 months after this visa was used. Another mate of mine who's retired (under 50 - on tourist visa) was told the same thing at the Thai embassy in Oslo.

About switching passports: This has always seemed to work for me. Same country passports with different serial numbers. Some people here claimed they are linked. Any source of that? My experience say they are not. I'm sure they can find out, but i dont think you get flagged? I also used this method back in 2006-07 when they actually had the maximum 180 days per year rule. Worked perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently asked some of the people i know that's coming here on rotations. All of them are having hassle. More or less guaranteed at HKT, but one also got it in BKK-SUV.

This "non existing" rule about maximum days, or maximum amount of exempt-stamps in a certain period are often mentioned.

I was told when applying for a Tourist Visa in Singapore a few days ago, that i would have to leave Thailand for at least 3 months after this visa was used. Another mate of mine who's retired (under 50 - on tourist visa) was told the same thing at the Thai embassy in Oslo.

About switching passports: This has always seemed to work for me. Same country passports with different serial numbers. Some people here claimed they are linked. Any source of that? My experience say they are not. I'm sure they can find out, but i dont think you get flagged? I also used this method back in 2006-07 when they actually had the maximum 180 days per year rule. Worked perfectly.

Same countries pp are linked by the virtue of the fact that the immigration data base search is based on name, DOB and nationality so the PP number is irrelevant plus they have a picture of your smiling mug :D

I work in Thailand but am in an out the country a lot, and have have had 3 new passports since I have been in Thailand and all my entries and exits are on their computer right back to day 1 = 14 years....

I work fifo in West Australia usually on a 26 and 9 roster, and soon to be back on 28 and 7. Im based in Chiang Mai and have been flying in and out doing this for the past 10 years, so thats approx 9 - 10 return trips through Thai immigration per year. I have never once been questioned about what I am doing in Thailand.

Same countries pp are linked by the virtue of the fact that the immigration data base search is based on name, DOB and nationality so the PP number is irrelevant plus they have a picture of your smiling mug biggrin.png

I work in Thailand but am in an out the country a lot, and have have had 3 new passports since I have been in Thailand and all my entries and exits are on their computer right back to day 1 = 14 years....

Well like i said, its not very hard for them to find out if they want to. But i have never been flagged or asked any questions when i have switched passports from the same country.

Just curious: How did you get info of all entries/exits you have done? did you gain access to their computer? did they print you a list?

Same countries pp are linked by the virtue of the fact that the immigration data base search is based on name, DOB and nationality so the PP number is irrelevant plus they have a picture of your smiling mug biggrin.png

I agree with that. They are virtually guaranteed to be linked already but it's up to the Thai authorities to make anything of it. You would think that due to all the dodgy, border-hopping TEFL'ers and digital pikeys, that Immigration would have first option on using that data. But like some other countries, it may take another government agency's changing rules to prod them into using it, ie. the Revenue Department (usually).

I mean we are all paying taxes after all.... aren't we?

Had a bit of an issue today when arriving from a weekend trip to HKG.

I arrived with Emirates and got the fast track card as usual. Woman started scratching her head and called in supervisor, who explained to me that I have "too many" in and out's without a visa, so system was "locked". But "no problem". Then supervisor explained that I should get a visa next time....type O, 3 month or something...

I have worked the last 5 years offshore overseas on a 28/28 rota, which is more like 25 days in TH and 31 days away. Never ever had an issue before, always got the 30 day stamp on arrival.

There is no way I can apply for a visa to Thailand in Angola where my rig is.

The thing is, I came home from the rig 10 days ago to BKK, then last Friday I went to HongKong for a wedding and arrived back here 2 hours ago. In 3 days, I plan to go to Scandinavia to see relatives, Immigration might trip again if I arrive in 10 days from now without a visa again.

Anyhow, she gave me the 30 day stamp today without any comments or anything in the passport.

Any suggestions on how to best solve this??

Thanks.

Archived