Need Help Pls

MARRS

Hello guys! I am having problem often with my notebook, (Compaq Presario 1700) using Windows XP and with broadband connection. B'coz of this i decided to reformat at the same time removed all old, old files that i just discovered. I'm not a computer xpert but i want to do it myself so i know what to remove and not. Can anybody in this forum, help/guide me? What softwares do i need? Is there any chance to clean my computer by reformatting it? Advise what to do please.

Thanks for all your help/advise in advance.

MARRS :o

Hello guys! I am having problem often with my notebook, (Compaq Presario 1700) using Windows XP and with broadband connection. B'coz of this i decided to reformat at the same time removed all old, old files that i just discovered. I'm not a computer xpert but i want to do it myself so i know what to remove and not. Can anybody in this forum, help/guide me? What softwares do i need? Is there any chance to clean my computer by reformatting it? Advise what to do please.

No point removing old files before you reformat as it will al be history anyway.

Its easy either put in the Recovery CD's that came with the compaq and reboot from this cd and follow the instructions.

or if it is a windows XP disk reboot from that select delete partition reformat and continue the install.

If using the XP disk you will need the drivers disk that came with laptop and install those once windows is done installing.

You will LOSE everything that is currently on the drive so back up anything onto cd,usb thumb drive or external harddrive that u need to keep

Setup your notebook to boot off of the CD (in the BIOS if it's not already setup like that), then put your XP CD into the drive and turn the power on.

There is no real reason to have to 'reformat the drive' - just install XP into a new directory name (such as C:\W2000) - then when it has installed and you've re-installed your applications, you can delete the old C:\WINNT folder.

No point removing old files before you reformat as it will al be history anyway.

Its easy either put in the Recovery CD's that came with the compaq and reboot from this cd and follow the instructions.

or if it is a windows XP disk reboot from that select delete partition reformat and continue the install.

If using the XP disk you will need the drivers disk that came with laptop and install those once windows is done installing.

You will LOSE everything that is currently on the drive so back up anything onto cd,usb thumb drive or external harddrive that u need to keep

Thanks, sad to say that i dont have all those softwares you me mentioned as i bought it 2nd hand from this forum. This has been reformatted 3x since i got it last year. So i really want to clean it. Back ups are not problem anymore. Everything r been saved on cds. :D

Setup your notebook to boot off of the CD (in the BIOS if it's not already setup like that), then put your XP CD into the drive and turn the power on.

There is no real reason to have to 'reformat the drive' - just install XP into a new directory name (such as C:\W2000) - then when it has installed and you've re-installed your applications, you can delete the old C:\WINNT folder.

[/quote

hi palm, i will try this procedures. :D

For a VERY detailed step-by-step guide, check this page (and print it out before you start :-)

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

And since you said you're not a computer expert the following some more tips:

- make prints (and save them) of your internet connection settings to easily reconnect when done, as you will need the connection probably to download drivers, software etc.

- make sure you have the (or a) WIN XP product key handy

- use the windows "files and transfer" wizard before you start to save your settings. (start>all programs>accessories>system tools)

- There's free backup software for your e-mails, address books etc (something I find useful when reformatting) depending on what e-mail program you are using (there's MozBackup for Firefox, and OEBAckUp for Outlook Express)

- think about creating 2 partitions when reformatting, one for your XP and another one for your data. Next time you want to reformat, you won't loose your data, as you willo just reformat the partition with XP on it.

- think twice before hitting the "are you sure" when reformatting about anything else you may have missed

Good luck

If personal data and installed programs on disk is not an issue, I would -much to the contrary- advise that you boot off the Windows installation CD and you do choose a installation from scratch, preferably wiping out all partitions and recreating them in the early steps of the installation.

You'll end up with a much cleaner state, without all the garbage and leftovers.

Make sure that you have the drivers you need at hand in case they're not built in the version of Windows you're going to install. Burning them onto a separate CD is the safest.

--Lannig

If personal data and installed programs on disk is not an issue, I would -much to the contrary- advise that you boot off the Windows installation CD and you do choose a installation from scratch, preferably wiping out all partitions and recreating them in the early steps of the installation.

Make sure that you have the drivers you need at hand in case they're not built in the version of Windows you're going to install. Burning them onto a separate CD is the safest.

--Lannig

yes, I agree, do a clean install is preferred!

--Lannig

yes, I agree, do a clean install is preferred!

Khun Lannig & Khun cnxpat. This is what i want to do. But as i'm not a computer xpert i'm a bit worried. All files are already saved to cd. I appreciate all helps & suggestions from you guys. Keep up the good works!!!!!

Khap khun tuktuk khon. :D

MARRS

:o