Can my girlfriend put my name on child's birth certificate without me being present?

milicano007

Hello,

I am waiting on the result of a DNA test to confirm that I am the father of a child and I am currently not in Thailand.

My girlfriend has told me that without a DNA test I cannot be added to the child's birth certificate and that this must be done at her local office in Isaan.

She originally told me that I would have to go to the local office with her and the DNA test result to enable me to be added as the father, also what

rights will this give Mother and child and what will this mean for me if we are not together.

The DNA test result is due any day now and in the last week or so she has said she knows someone who works in the local office and that she may be able to add

me to the birth certificate without me attending the office.

I should add the child is now 3 years old.

Can anyone tell me if she can add me as father without me being present?

Also I would like to know how reliable / trustworthy are DNA test results from the Police Hospital near Siam/Central World in Bangkok?

Is there any chance the result could be 'changed'

Some truth, some untruth here. In Thailand the father's name on the birth cert has no bearing unless the father and mother are married. This is because at birth the mother can add any name as the father she likes without any such person being present.

As to the dna test, this is not required unless you or she does not agree with the legitimisation of the child. I've just legitimised my son, and there was no DNA test required since both parents agreed. This was done via the family court in the same region the child is recorded in a house book. Our son is just shy of 3 years old. I was listed as the father on his birth cert, but this isn't recognised by the Thai state.

Legitimisation does not give any custodial rights, but instead just recognises you as the real father of the child. I'm not sure if she could then claim child support, but expect she could via the family court. But being added to the birth cert is quite meaningless unless you also legitimise the child.

Your GF can name anyone she wants on the birth certificate as the father of the child. Name will be listed in Thai, so a translation of your name will be needed. Some amphurs want a certified copy of your passport ID-page, whith a translation into Thai. There is no DNA test.

Note that you will not be the legal father of the child, untill you go to court and asked to become the legal father. See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

The court can order a DNA test before granting your request.

12 years ago I missed the birth of my twins when they were born 3 weeks premature. I was overseas and due back just 5 days later but my wife was still able to put my name on their birth certificates and also on their UK certificates which we organised later.
Smash cut to 9 years later when our littlest one was born. I was there. My name on the birth cert and no DNA test required.

It could be that because she didn't add you when the child was born, the Ampour need proof to legitimize you as the father.

I hope it works out for your either way.

So if you are married to the mother (at Amphur) at time of birth and your name is on the birthcertificate as the father, you are already the legal father and have parental rights and no other action is required?

Correct, when married the law automatically assumes the husband is the father of the child. (And that is even so if someone else is mentioned on the birth certificate).

12 years ago I missed the birth of my twins when they were born 3 weeks premature. I was overseas and due back just 5 days later but my wife was still able to put my name on their birth certificates and also on their UK certificates which we organised later.

Smash cut to 9 years later when our littlest one was born. I was there. My name on the birth cert and no DNA test required.

It could be that because she didn't add you when the child was born, the Ampour need proof to legitimize you as the father.

You were automatically the legal father, because of your marriage to the mother of the children. No DNA test needed for that. In fact, even if you are not the biological father, you are still the legal father because of he marriage.

At the amphur you legitimize children in case you are not married, but for legitimization both mother and child must agree. Hence you have to wait till the child is old enough. The law doesn't give an age, but generally it is 7 years old/when the child goes to elementary school. Sometimes it is done a bit younger, but that depends on the amphur.

Being married or not to the mother makes all the difference.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You were automatically the legal father, because of your marriage to the mother of the children. No DNA test needed for that. In fact, even if you are not the biological father, you are still the legal father because of he marriage.

At the amphur you legitimize children in case you are not married, but for legitimization both mother and child must agree. Hence you have to wait till the child is old enough. The law doesn't give an age, but generally it is 7 years old/when the child goes to elementary school. Sometimes it is done a bit younger, but that depends on the amphur.

Sorry but that's not all true. Or wasn't then. I married her in the Amphur office 18 months after the twins were born with the twins bouncing on our knees.

Your GF can name anyone she wants on the birth certificate as the father of the child. Name will be listed in Thai, so a translation of your name will be needed. Some amphurs want a certified copy of your passport ID-page, whith a translation into Thai. There is no DNA test.

Note that you will not be the legal father of the child, untill you go to court and asked to become the legal father. See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

The court can order a DNA test before granting your request.

correct Mario ?

I have done legalisationon the amphur in Chatuchak BKK 3 months ago,

yellow book - that showes i live with GF and my kids -

Certified copy and translation of my Passport,

my girl with 4 could write - sign the document ,

all they asked her to show where is Papa, and she were foxy and pointed to me :-)) ;

That was all ,

and 20 thb

and some tea small, as work were finished half an hour after working time !!

3 officer were staying 30 min after working time as my wife kindly asked as i left for Europe next day;

Never ever beleaved on such a service after so many bad news about thai officers on TV;

so no Court, no DNA,

for my name on birth certificates, i were not in BKK at the time of delivery,

my wife just asked if its ok to put my name on :-))) !!

Other closely related stuff...

The mother needs to be careful about adding the name of the father to the birth certificate. If she adds the wrong fathers name (proven by mismatching parental DNA in the Police Forensic hospital report whistling.gif ) she is guilty of fraud, and will be subject to automatic criminal proceedings by the Thai government authorities. I am processing one of these actions now, and so I am not sure of what the penalties for the child's mother will be in this case - however, the government office took it all surprisingly seriously and have muttered stuff to me about the mother being likely subject to a short prison sentence and/or hefty fine. I'll be able to update the thread of the outcome in a few months time after the case has run the courts wai2.gif

What is the problem ..this is Thailand.

One of my Thai friends fathered a boy with one of his Burmese maids...and he arranged that the hospital where the child was born would mention in the birth certificate his legal Thai wife (already 50 years old that that time) as the mother.

What is the problem ..this is Thailand.

One of my Thai friends fathered a boy with one of his Burmese maids...and he arranged that the hospital where the child was born would mention in the birth certificate his legal Thai wife (already 50 years old that that time) as the mother.

He must have a very nice, understanding and helpful wife, or his wife wanted a child. blink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry but that's not all true. Or wasn't then. I married her in the Amphur office 18 months after the twins were born with the twins bouncing on our knees.

Not sure what is not true.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...