3BB fiber to the home.. Can you stream TV ?

LivinLOS

Whats peoples experience with 3BB currently ?? Specifically iPlayer, netflix, etc etc...

I am on 13Mbit TOT, and to be fair its rock solid stable, I probably have a few mins downtime a month.. None of the old issues I used to have of ADSL up and down every day..

But its lacking international bandwidth.. The wifes ThaiTV streams here perfectly, plenty fast enough for that.. But international does have buffering and drop outs making all kinds of content unusable.

As its clearly not the last mile connection thats the issue, but TOTs bandwidth, does 3BB fare any better ?? Thinking something around the 30/3 kind of price point ??

There is also True cable offering, but True were so customer unfriendly with my Sat systems I would hate to give them business, and have read not so good reports on stability of packages with them ??

Edited by LivinLOS

I have 30/3 fibre from tot 1200/month.

When installed it was a 20/2 package for 1600/month.

For some reason its worse now with buffering than before.

For say watching cricket today,will go thru the 5 streams to find best one.

If to bad will hook up to the missus's ais phone package and try that.

Sorry dont know about 3bb.

Netflix or anything with HD over 3000 kbit won't work good at any ISP (except premium / business packages) because they like to throttle single connections to 2mbit max. However, any other ISP is better than TOT in international bandwidth.

I just changed from TOT 13MB service after 4 years. I had just got into IPTV and TOT's bandwith was making it imposible to watch even low rez at non peak hours. I have now taken on 3BB 15MB up/ 1mb down package, not fiber and it works fantastic even with HD content. Yes there are some bad moments but thats to be expected but 1000% better that TOT

Edited by naidraw66

I have 3bb 10m package (cost 630 bahtpm) - I'm on the darkside. Just hooked into Fw-iptv, and so far quite impressed. Not perfect signal, but good enough under the circumstances. Would optic improve things?

Fw-Tv is local and because of that, it will stream very good. Other iptv services based outside thailand will not stream as good.

I don't understand streaming. I have 15 MB fibre optic from TOT. Just tried to watch some videos posted on TV via Youtube (eg Drunk farang giving the finger.) It was stop/start to the point of unwatchability. Am I doing something wrong? I would dearly love to stream English Premier via the internet yet the buffering is intolerable.

From Nakon Nowhere we've got TOT Smile 10 Mbs. It's usually very reliable and I'm able to watch 365 Sport without any buffering (nearly all of the time) and BBC iplayer via a VPN. Almost as good as the 20mbs service we get from True in BKK

If it is International it probably wont be a fault of 3BB but the International link probably via satellite. Many users will use the link and most companies will give bandwidth priority to companies not individuals. This is reflected in the tariff you pay. There are many ways of charging but in general it is business then private

THe stop and start bit that people complain about is because the system is Store and Forward. By that it is meant that a block of data, video in this case, is stored to a fixed size before it is retransmitted from the satellite. Usually you wont really notice too much of a problem but if it is sampled in large blocks and the buffers have emptied then you will get the start / stop that is mentioned

I dont know where your checking your routing tables but commercial ISPs are not sending large data through satellite broadcast.. Sat transmission is FAR more expensive to route than cables.

Yes of course the international bandwidth is the issue, how much contention or throttling the ISP is doing.. But this isnt because its going via satellite..

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I dont know where your checking your routing tables but commercial ISPs are not sending large data through satellite broadcast.. Sat transmission is FAR more expensive to route than cables.

Yes of course the international bandwidth is the issue, how much contention or throttling the ISP is doing.. But this isnt because its going via satellite..

Contention ratio is probably high

If you are getting data / video from Europe you will definitely be going through a satellite link. Trans Atlantic routes submarine cables but from Europe to Thailand the demand isnt so high as Europe to USA so chances are it is satellite and as a low priority user your bandwidth will be low

I finally have the best yet, only, option of TOT Winet to the house. Is it worth it? Not cheap to install but no 3BB etc available. In Buriram. Close to the city. Only option is an aircard, which works well, but really is not adequate bandwidth and very expensive. Can't stream at all.

I'm using 3BB'S 10MB to watch Netflix via a VPN,both the UK and the USA'S site. No problem with buffering once it starts,speed check constantly show's 11,over WIFI. I can watch Netflix,while she looks at her Cat VDO's on YouTube etc.

Edit. I did buy the better router for 990B,free installation. No fibre available or needed yet.

Edited by MAZ3

If you are getting data / video from Europe you will definitely be going through a satellite link. Trans Atlantic routes submarine cables but from Europe to Thailand the demand isnt so high as Europe to USA so chances are it is satellite and as a low priority user your bandwidth will be low

Thats simply not true.. Theres a large latency in doing sat transissions.. You would see ping times lag at a point in the IP routing..

he vast majority (and I mean overwhelming) is carried by fibre cabling.. Sat is both far more costly per byte and involves more downsides in latency, ping, etc etc..

I have 3BB Fiber on the 30/5 package and have no issues with using iTunes, had previously used Netflix and was able stream HD. It actually starts off in SD but after a couple minutes it will switch to HD.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thats simply not true.. Theres a large latency in doing sat transissions.. You would see ping times lag at a point in the IP routing..

he vast majority (and I mean overwhelming) is carried by fibre cabling.. Sat is both far more costly per byte and involves more downsides in latency, ping, etc etc..

Totally agree with you except Thailand shares with outher SEA countries over satellite

3BB 15Mbps ADSL package here in Hat Yai does Netflix (US, Danish), HBO Nordic and some Danish streaming offerings very well.

Very seldom, outside buffering startup, do I get pixelated quality.

Until a few months ago, downloading from the EU during Thai evening hours was a bit soso unless using many connections (ftp, usenet). Could be a local POP issue.

NB: All traffic goes through VyprVPN services.

I finally have the best yet, only, option of TOT Winet to the house. Is it worth it? Not cheap to install but no 3BB etc available. In Buriram. Close to the city. Only option is an aircard, which works well, but really is not adequate bandwidth and very expensive. Can't stream at all.

Can't speak for Buriram but we have a place in the middle of Sakon Nakhon province - but miles from anywhere you'd know. Had TOT winet installed for 3500 baht plus 1500 for modem. Monthly charge for 10 MBS download is 599 baht. Occasional problems but local call centre excellent get service back up again quickly. Highly recommended.

Totally agree with you except Thailand shares with outher SEA countries over satellite

Khun woody used to publish the various ISP connection maps of the cable links from data centers to outside pipe, the bandwidth of each link, etc to internet backbones.. The IP address'es of the servers can be traced with a simple tracert and none allow the kind of latency a satellite ping requires.. Thats easily verifiable fact.

Show me any evidence to contrary.. As what your saying simply isnt true.. Its FAR more expensive and slow to route data packets via sat broadcast. The economics make no sense, and the practicality makes no sense.

I had IPStar sat for years, the ping times over sat connections are horrendous..

He meant that he agrees everything except Thailand uses Satellite uplinks for Internet.

Nobody uses Sat. uplinks anymore. It was preferred as a backup solution in the past and past only. Individual internet users a different story. If you're out in the open in no-mans land, Sat. phone / Internet may be your only option.

• Like 1

He meant that he agrees everything except Thailand uses Satellite uplinks for Internet.

Nobody uses Sat. uplinks anymore. It was preferred as a backup solution in the past and past only. Individual internet users a different story. If you're out in the open in no-mans land, Sat. phone / Internet may be your only option.

Exactly..

Back i the early 90s a cousin of mine was involved with uplinking sat basestations.. Jobs in boonies.. Going to major news hotspots under contract from major news organizations..

He lost 100s of 1000s when he was a private contractor and failed to uplink the story of the them shelling the building in russia.. As soon as it wasnt breaking news he was out in the cold.

I have the 10mb 3BB. I generally only use YouTube and UK expat TV. Both work with hardly any buffering once it starts!

We have same 3BB service but use a mrskytv UK iptv box for live uk tv, weekdays 7pm-9pm signal drops so live tv buffers but the on demand video club is ok. We had TOT and that was useless, in Hua Hin area everyone we know uses 3BB. If you have smart phone or ipdad disconnect from your wifi as they use a lot of bandwidth even when not in use. watching sky sports hd uses three times as much bandwidth i am told.

post-209707-0-66952900-1427014556_thumb.

At my house in Samui I have access to all the 3 major providers and also just used TOT in Bangkok as well. From my experience and that of many others, forget about TOT, extremly slow for international connections. True is kind of ok, but 3BB is still by far the best.

• Like 1

At my house in Samui I have access to all the 3 major providers and also just used TOT in Bangkok as well. From my experience and that of many others, forget about TOT, extremly slow for international connections. True is kind of ok, but 3BB is still by far the best.

I've used all three ISP's too and I agree with this. ToT was the worst by a long shot, 3BB the best by far. I'm on True now and it's OK, but they've done something to stop torrents from working properly unless I use a VPN, which is irritating.

Edited by Bardeh
  • Like 1