Foreign currency account (obscure currencies)

Obscure currencies is maybe pushing it, but I am looking for an institution in Thailand or on internet where I can open a currency account in currencies other that Euro/USD/GBP etc. Of primary interest is Norwegian kroner that to my knowledge has lost more than any other developed currency in the last 6-8 months.

I think there is a good chance of a recovery within a year or so, and I think the downside is low compared to what I currently have (AUD, SGD, JPY). I am not aware of any banks that offer Norwegian currency account. I know there are web sites geared towards trading, but I am in it for the long term, where the money sits and get some interest. Apart from traveling to Norway and opening a bank account there, what other options do I have?

WB

are you aware that NOK is a commodity currency which lost mainly due to the fact that crude oil dropped >50%? to hold NOK you "nearest" opportunity is a multinational bank in Singapore albeit with a high entry threshold. perhaps HSBC in Hong Kong can accomodate you where entry levels are much lower.

addendum: SAXO Bank Singapore might suit you with one of the lowest entry levels in SG (SGD 250,000).

Edited by Naam

Bangkok Bank claim to do NOK, as well as DKK and SEK

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/ForeignCurrencyAccount/Pages/Default.aspx

Remember for Thailand with FCY deposites:

- They are not covered by DPA and not guaranteed by the govt, unlike THB

- Interest rates are often poorer than you can get in other countries

- There's often an aray of other fees/charges

On the plus side, it can be convenient for just walking into the bank, and minimum balances aren't always as high as other places

Cheers

Fletch :)

- There's often an aray of other fees/charges

four years ago i enquired at Bangkok Bank, Pattaya details concerning forex accounts in USD and SGD. after ~20 minutes "explanations" in Tinglish my head was spinning and i gave up.