water pump noise insulation

keestha

I am running a hotel, and the main building has a flat roof, on top of which there is a water pump, which switches on when water is used, to make sure there is enough pressure on the water.

The thing generates quite a bit of noise, I know that guests staying in rooms near by are slightly bothered by it. I am wondering about a do it yourself way of noise insulation, possibly building a box around it with styrofoam inside, I have already started saving it up when buying stuff like washing machines.

Your thoughts/suggestions?

Agree about getting some rubber dampers under the base.

I would also just check the pump for loose fixings bolts etc these could be vibrating.

Also check the vertical blue water supply pipe from the pump to make sure its not hanging unsupported. I had what i thiught was a noisy pump until i realised the blue riser pipe was literally banging on the outside wall when water was drawn.

I solved the problem by wedging a plastic water bottle between the pipe and wall. No problem now.

General running noise can be lessened by covering it with a styrene ice box or similar thats a cheap enough method .

Important is to distinguish betweeen airborn and structural born noise.

For airborne noise, Acoustblok is a great material, please don't use styrofoam, it won't help, it's too light and only works for thermal insulation.

Indeed, as mentioned, make sure that there is still some airflow to prevent the pump from overheating.

If there is any structural born noise, (noise from the pump directly into the concrete roof) than you will need to add some rubber between the pump and the roof.

You can IM me for free consulting !

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...