Seeking family-style hotel recommendation

Lannig

Hello folks,

I shall be spending a few days in Pattaya with my Thai relatives including a young couple with a 5yo child, driving from upcountry north.

Not the first time there, even for a family-style vacation, Pattaya is a convenient and cheap place to stay and move around away from the hustle of the city and nightlife: Kho Larn, Bang Sare etc. OK, you know this already, I'm in the Pattaya forum. Sorry tongue.png

We used to stay in a nice and quiet hotel but it's on the northen part and has no swimming pool, so this time I'd be looking for another place to stay:

- preferably in the southern part or Jomthien, makes it easier to go to Bang Sare

- with a reasonably clean pool, if possible with a shallow-water part for kids

- quiet and clean

- equipped with an usable wi-fi (really need to depend on it in case I get work calls)

- reasonably priced, meaning not too much over 1000B/night (hope this makes sense, if not tell me)

- with good places around for breakfast

Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated. If the hotel has a web site, kindly share the link as well.

Kob khun maak krub wai.gif

View Talay 2A ticks all your boxes but is not a hotel ... would that work?

Well, thanks for your reply first.

How is it different from an hotel? obviously we shall be there only a few days, so anything that goes by monthly rental isn't suitable.

I have stayed at The Boathouse on Jomtien Beach road. Great location but the rooms are a bit basic.

There are a few nice places to stay in and around Bang Saray. Some can be found on the usual accommodation websites, others by taking a drive around.

One place you could consider is Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens. The accommodation there looks OK (maybe a bit condo-style). Prices look not too bad. Facilities are good. If you have a car you are about 5-10 minutes from the beach, the new Cartoon Network waterpark, Greta farm, Seafood restaurants. 15-25 minutes from Jomtien/Pattaya City.

Don't quote me, but I think that the room price also includes the entrance fee to the tropical gardens (IMHO the best tourist attraction in the region), the elephant show and the culture show (IMHO both worth a visit).

I'll put in a link but if it's removed just look up Nongnooch Garden Resort on Agoda.

http://www.agoda.com/nongnooch-garden-resort/hotel/pattaya-th.html?dsrch=1&asq=VgfhI%2b8ejtenT5fmi1xjiVsCZToTH9XQVnTAc4fr9t4bk5rXBwQ6jtCoA35cVJ%2f4xwo0nGQgQDwpLar7P%2b0pVN7tliWbiDxFudyjlqJNX3DG%2bBanO40%2f5cI2eUiA%2b%2fKp%2fegksN%2fSoB1VCcrw%2f3TgESYiB3bfureOt6%2b2xX7bq70%3d

Thanks for the reply too,

I have stayed at The Boathouse on Jomtien Beach road. Great location but the rooms are a bit basic.

Looks like a place worth considering indeed, but the web site I've found for this hotel's name doesn't mention a pool. Is there any? Tripadvisor has quite a few reports of it being noisy too. What's your idea on this?

There are a few nice places to stay in and around Bang Saray. Some can be found on the usual accommodation websites, others by taking a drive around.

That's what I'd usually do, but we shall arrive on April 6th or 7th, close enough to Sorgn Karn that I think I'd better book in advance. Especially since we'd need 2 or 3 rooms.

One place you could consider is Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens. The accommodation there looks OK (maybe a bit condo-style). Prices look not too bad. Facilities are good. If you have a car you are about 5-10 minutes from the beach, the new Cartoon Network waterpark, Greta farm, Seafood restaurants. 15-25 minutes from Jomtien/Pattaya City.

Yes I do have a pick-up car. I've checked the website and they don't seem to have anything left but the deluxe rooms for that period, at well over US$100/night. Well over my budget. We have other plans for visits and entertainment so the inclusion of the tropical gardens park entrance doesn't make for it.

Edited by Lannig

If you want a pool in Jomtien, check out Silver Sand Villa. They have two, one deeper lap pool and one bigger pool where a decent part of it is a shallow area for the kids to play in. The “newer” rooms, with balconies, run about 1500/night, not sure what they charge for the older rooms without balcony. Hotel Danmark is just around the corner for a great breakfast buffet, according to others here on the forum, not a breakfast guy myself. Unfortunately Silver Sand does not have free wi-fi, you have to pay, think they charge by the hour and by the day.

Hi, try looking on the Marsi Hotel site, every thing you want is there, free wi-fi, family pool & children's pool. Family rooms, air-con , near beach, away from the noise of the bar's. Thai food,European food. I recommend this place,been here 3 time's in the last year, price is about 800 Baht a night. Room's very spacious, walk in shower,fridge - freezer,plasma with English and Thai channel's. Hope this help's. Ray.

Thanks for the reply too,

Looks like a place worth considering indeed, but the web site I've found for this hotel's name doesn't mention a pool. Is there any? Tripadvisor has quite a few reports of it being noisy too. What's your idea on this?

That's what I'd usually do, but we shall arrive on April 6th or 7th, close enough to Sorgn Karn that I think I'd better book in advance. Especially since we'd need 2 or 3 rooms.

Yes I do have a pick-up car. I've checked the website and they don't seem to have anything left but the deluxe rooms for that period, at well over US$100/night. Well over my budget. We have other plans for visits and entertainment so the inclusion of the tropical gardens park entrance doesn't make for it.

No pool at the Boathouse. Beach is just across the road though. We didn't have any noise problems, but we were rarely in our room before 1am.

In Bang Saray village these places may be of interest.

http://www.willkris.com/roomrate.php

http://www.lilawadee-resort-bangsaray.com/contents/en-us/d26_Lilawadee.html

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks.

Seems that the period is poorly chosen to find a room in Pattaya. Not only it's only days before Sorgn Karn, but April 6th is a holiday too. Pretty much booked up everywhere as it seems. In many places the only rooms left are the luxury ones, above my budget.

I've made a precautionary booking through the well-known online hotel booking site I can cancel until Apr 1st.

At the B2 Sea View. Kind of basic rooms but still facing sea, has a pool, free wifi. It's at the very far end of Jomthien, even a bit further but not a big issue since I have a car. Seems like a quiet place.

I'll continue pulling the strings I get here, see if I can find something better.

Thanks again.

Edited by Lannig

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks.

Seems that the period is poorly chosen to find a room in Pattaya. Not only it's only days before Sorgn Karn, but April 6th is a holiday too. Pretty much booked up everywhere as it seems. In many places the only rooms left are the luxury ones, above my budget.

I've made a precautionary booking through the well-known online hotel booking site I can cancel until Apr 1st.

At the B2 Sea View. Kind of basic rooms but still facing sea, has a pool, free wifi. It's at the very far end of Jomthien, even a bit further but not a big issue since I have a car. Seems like a quiet place.

I'll continue pulling the strings I get here, see if I can find something better.

Thanks again.

I have driven past the B2 Sea View hotel many times when visiting restaurants and beach nearby. I can't say anything about the hotel as I never stayed there, except it looks new (ish) and modern style.

There are some really nice restaurants very close by (The View, The Glasshouse) which are not cheap but are right on the beach and have great views, but there are also some decent cheaper places within walking distance (or a short drive) and one or two beach bars. Expect the usual litter and fly-tipping as you drive to the hotel from the Sukhumvit road (it's everywhere). The beaches there are very nice and clean. This is a kite surfers/wind surfers area - so plenty going on to see.

At the prices stated on the website I think you can't go wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, Chickenwings. Appreciated, really.

I think I'll stick to this one. Seems too much of a hassle to find another place now.

And yes, it's kind of cheap.

I'll share my impression when I return.

Rooms are available in VT2A on a daily basis check it out on the web.

They are, and all of them are illegal as no one in that building (or, with few exceptions, any other condo building in town) has a hotel licence. They are also contrary to the internal regulations of most condo buildings.

My personal opinion is that condos should be for monthly rentals and hotels for daily/weekly stays, as Thai law quite specifically stipulates. In my experience residents in condo buildings dont really want the general hubbub, confusion and disorganisation that short-term renters bring.

• 1 month later...

Better late than never, I promised that I'd feedback on this B2 Seaview Jomthien hotel so here am I.

Definitely a bargain for those with a car. Without one, forget it. Too much of a hassle to get there.

Also for those who can stand the bare concrete "industrial style" interior. Quite a shock at first sight I must say, it took me a few hours to get used to is but since the rooms are otherwise nicely decorated for this kind of budget hotel, it's easy to get over it.

Almost everything else was suprisingly good: large and comfy rooms with a balcony with a deckchair, offering an actual, unobstructed sea view (well, my room was on the 8th floor, that helped I guess). Perfect noise insulation, didn't hear a sound, large flat-screen TV (unfortunately with the dreadful, snonwy Sophon CATV feed that seems to be mandatory in just every hotel in Pattaya). The swimming pool on the 1st floor (not ground) is quite tiny, just for kids really but nice because you can have food and drinks on tables right by the pool while watching the kiddies having fun.

Last but not least, a flawless wifi coverage of the whole hotel (free).

I definitely recommend it.

Edited by Lannig
  • Like 1

THE PINNACLE is a great family-friendly Hotel in the Southern part of Jomtien, has a great Pool, but is more expensive than 1.000 Baht though it might still be worth to look for low-season rates on agoda or hotels.com

I stayed at Fifth Jomtien The Residence, nice rooms, stayed in a 2 bedroom, with 2 bathrooms, livingroom with kitchen and an small balcony, ok pool area, with kids pool.

Breakfast at the hotel is on the minus side, not to much to choose from, but ok for a few days.