Bookstores And Banks

XkWiZiT

G'day,

I'm looking for some bookstores with books on Food n Beverage and other hospitality related. I have tried those in Emporium but they don't have what I want. Do u guys know any like really huge bookstores where they might have what I want? maybe an academic bookstore will do. I live in sukhumvit area btw.

Also, i just started working here and I need to open a bank account. Which bank should I use? I need one with lots of ATM and fast easy money transfer.

Thanks a bunch

Hello :o . The best bookshop I have found is Kinokuniya in Paragon. If they don't stock what you want (what is it by the way?) they will normally be able to order it for you. :D

As for banks, I don't know the answer to that. MY husband's employers did it for us. All banks have millions of ATM's and if they don't you can use another either free of charge or for a nominal sum (?3 baht per withdrawal). You will probably find better answers to the bank questin in that particualr forum :D

G'day,

I'm looking for some bookstores with books on Food n Beverage and other hospitality related. I have tried those in Emporium but they don't have what I want. Do u guys know any like really huge bookstores where they might have what I want? maybe an academic bookstore will do. I live in sukhumvit area btw.

Also, i just started working here and I need to open a bank account. Which bank should I use? I need one with lots of ATM and fast easy money transfer.

Thanks a bunch

There are a number of large bookstores that carry academic type books. Hopefully you can read Thai, as this is Thailand and the predominate market for academic books will be Thai.

Banks, did you happen to notice the Bangkok Bank branch on your venture to Emporium? That might be a good place to open an account. You do have your work permit, right? That will make opening the account easier, as many banks are actually following the Bank of Thailand rules requiring that.

TH

that is bad then...I cant speak or read Thai...

maybe finding academic books in english is hard here but reference books will do just fine. I saw a lot of cooking recipe books...there must be reference books about, say cocktail recipes, setting up a banquet, setting up different type of mise-en-place for different types of services, food dictionary (english to french or italian or even thai)...books about procedures in a restaurant...

You see, I'm working in a hotel, F&B department, so any book related to F&B will do fine for me. BTW, the Kinokuniya in Paragon is bigger than those in emporium?

to thaihome: no, i didn't notice the Bangkok Bank. I was walking from soi 22.

... BTW, the Kinokuniya in Paragon is bigger than those in emporium?

Yes, but more in terms of floor area than stock. You'll find more or less the same kind of books stocked in both stores. On the other hand, Kino tends to order only one or two of each book they stock, so you are just as likely to find what you want in one place as the other.

Kino in Paragon is bigger.

You can also go through the many second hand bookstores around Emporium or next to Villa , just opposite of Emporium.

BTW the BKK Bank is on the right side , between the mainentrance and the entrance of Emporium Suites , nice little branch .

You can see it when you come from Soi 22 .

As has been stated a million times on this forum, opening a bank account is as easy or as hard as the individual's experience of trying to do it. Some have managed it with nothing more than a few hundred baht and a tourist stamp in their passport, others have found it hard even with work permits.

It's pot luck, but ultimately shouldnt be too hard.

Stick to areas where they are used to dealing with farang - sukhumvit or silom - and you'll be ok. I opened account at Bkk Bank, no problems. I hear the Bkk Bank branch between soi 8 and 10 on Sukhumvit is very good, and also the Siam Commercial branch at the top of soi 11. But you shouldnt have any major problems.

Footnote: If you couldnt see the Bkk Bank branch at Emporium while you were walking from soi 22, I won't be eating at your place any time soon - you might mistake the sugar for the salt.

Good luck.