17 cab drivers penalized on first day of re-organization of Bangkok taxi service

webfact

Whenever a taxi driver doesn't want to bring a customer to a certain destination he can use the excuse that the destination is too far and that he has to return the car on time to the driver of the next shift. So what can any government department do in this case? NOTHING!.... because it could be TRUE!

If he has to return the car soon he should do what any normal person would - turn off the available sign! Simple !

If he sees someone looking for a taxi there is nothing stopping him from pulling over and saying "I'm on my way to xxx, if you i are going that way i can take you". This is not mission impossible folks.

Baby steps but a step in right direction... I am an ex black cab owner in the UK and they were incredibly strict but the result of that was an efficient service, most of the time.. Keep up the pressure on these drivers and they will get the message!!

17 out of 20 drivers checked, out of all the drivers and in just one area of Bangkok?! Seriously? They may eventually get the message (if you insist), but at that rate not in this lifetime. I'll bet the system you encountered back in the UK was quite a bit better organized, infinitely more comprehensively applied and imposed far harsher penalties. This was just a "baby step" - OK, if you say so. I'll be anxious to see how much more actually comes of it.

According to Mr. Chirute, cab drivers who are first-time offenders would be fined no more than 1,000 baht and must undergo training arranged to improve service-mindedness. Second-time offenders would have their licenses suspended for 30 days and must undergo another training. Third-time offenders would have their licenses suspended for six months and must undergo yet another training. Any driver who commits three offenses within one month will have their license revoked.

Any driver who commits three offenses within one month will have their license revoked. ​That is near impossible if they are going to be suspended for 30 days for the second offence... cheesy.gif

They'll drive without licences or get a forged one. Only impounding the taxis will teach them.

What a load of crap this is. They are never going to put a stop to the ripoffs from the taxi drivers even when they raise the price. Just yesterday, I was at the Vietnamese consulate getting a visa, and the taxi driver who stopped in front of the consulate wouldn't turn on his meter and wanted Bt200 instead for a fare that usually takes Bt60. He didn't have the number plate on the inside door which had been removed, but his taxi number under his photo on the dash was 42284. I am tired of having to argue with the drivers to turn on their meters so from now on I will try to take either the buses or the trains in the future.