Phuket, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

phuketandsee

They don't really cover the truly ugly:

Phuket, Thailand is an island that's rapidly developing and changing. It's no secret paradise anymore, as tourists from all over the world come in droves to soak up the sun and play at the beaches.

We have lived in Phuket, Thailand for almost three months and have really enjoyed our time here. During our extended stay in Phuket, we have been able to observe what makes it such an attractive destination and also have been able to uncover some of the inconveniences and unattractive parts of life on the island.

Here is our guide to Phuket, Thailand: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cliff-hsia/phuket-thailand-the-good-_b_6936680.html

Don't think the OP authored the story, he was just pointing it out.

>>They don't really cover the truly ugly:

I read the article earlier today off a link from google news. A quick perusing of Thaivisa Phuket forum will get you the bad and the ugly, while TAT will give you the glossed over good. Looked like the guy is earning money for his trip around the world with his kids.

A great deal of travel writing is poor. I have a travel blog, I know poor travel writing. It's a shame it isn't better written. So simplistic you have to worry about Huffpo's standards. This is acceptable? Are they that starved for content?

I love living here in Phuket. I'm lucky to be retired here. There are problems in an emerging third world nation. But, Thailand has so much to offer, the best food, the best scenery, the best women and the most fun.

The secret to happiness here in LOS and specifically Phuket, is to remember the daily (sometimes hourly) mantra..."it doesn't matter".

Thais are going to do what they decide to do and don't care about our opinions. Just enjoy it and shut up.

Explains it all, based or lived in San Jose, CA, USA...Hmmm many wonderful places and cities to see in that part of the country.... guess he and the family got tired of not being able to see the mountains as a result of the smog. Additionally, San Jose had a fine population of Mexican Americans...currently the influx of Vietnamese American have taken over the businesses and other areas of downtown San Jose.. all the way down to first street and SJSU.

Do agree a very poor article, nothing...of value..coffee1.gif

Edited by Rhys

I guess you knew, or maybe you didnt, that when you posted this the Thaivisa faithful would be their usual charming selves. Well, I think it is a pretty good overview of the place for someone living here for three months and would be a pointer to those planning to visit in the future. None of this is news to me but I can see it being useful for someone who hasnt visited before and its always good to hear other peoples points of view. After all this is what forums are about.

Lastly, I would suggest you get away from Phuket and other such places and go and see the real Thailand.

Thanks for making the effort of posting your views and pics

• Like 1

Explains it all, based or lived in San Jose, CA, USA...Hmmm many wonderful places and cities to see in that part of the country.... guess he and the family got tired of not being able to see the mountains as a result of the smog. Additionally, San Jose had a fine population of Mexican Americans...currently the influx of Vietnamese American have taken over the businesses and other areas of downtown San Jose.. all the way down to first street and SJSU.

Do agree a very poor article, nothing...of value..coffee1.gif

. Been in San Francisco my whole life, I don't think I've ever been DT in SJ, people who are from SF. Do not go there...

The ONLY thing that's kept me here in 4 years is work, the missus and some financial ties... urghhhh... i love the beaches, especially now since the sun-beds have gone, i'd rather be up North at the farm TBO... PATONG, is a cesspit, especially Bangla Rd, I prefer Kata along the west coast, but I do like it up in the mountain where we are away from everything.... ;)

As others have said, you really have to live here longer to give a, accurate appraisal of the place and i feel when you do, it aint gunna be a rosy one! :)

• Like 2

I guess you knew, or maybe you didnt, that when you posted this the Thaivisa faithful would be their usual charming selves. Well, I think it is a pretty good overview of the place for someone living here for three months and would be a pointer to those planning to visit in the future. None of this is news to me but I can see it being useful for someone who hasnt visited before and its always good to hear other peoples points of view. After all this is what forums are about.

Lastly, I would suggest you get away from Phuket and other such places and go and see the real Thailand.

Thanks for making the effort of posting your views and pics

You do realise the member who posted this isn't the author of the blog.

He just shared it with us to ridicule.

. Been in San Francisco my whole life, I don't think I've ever been DT in SJ, people who are from SF. Do not go there...

Seeing as how the OP is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the SJ on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the RA he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out as OT.

(apologies to RW)

• Like 2

Yep, nothing new here ,...every body that reads Thaivisa or the newspapers know all of this....and it took him 3 months to come to that conclusion...!

and what's with the dogs ? never had any problem with stray dogs in Thailand.....just pick up a stick or a stone .....on the other hand my wife is afraid of big dogs....

Lived in Phuket for 6 yrs, just come back from Prachup Khiri Khan, loved the laid back living and non ting tong driving style, people seem much friendlier than here, being retired it's a serious consideration to leave Phuket behind and a distant memory! happy for the time being though!

• Like 2

Never been to Phuket and have no intention of going there . Too many ferlung with all their BS. Hua-Hin was the same which is why we moved way up North. Now what I need to know is .......is .there anywhere with a beach in LoS that is free of thousands of pink ferlung riding around on scooters with a tin of Chang in one hand. The smog this year was too much and I want to find a beach or island next year to excape from all this.

Never been to Phuket and have no intention of going there . Too many ferlung with all their BS. Hua-Hin was the same which is why we moved way up North. Now what I need to know is .......is .there anywhere with a beach in LoS that is free of thousands of pink ferlung riding around on scooters with a tin of Chang in one hand. The smog this year was too much and I want to find a beach or island next year to excape from all this.

What a load of crap.

Pink Farang??? <deleted>.

Haven't seen anyone ever riding with a beer except for local thais.

Plenty of nice secluded areas in Phuket and I find it amazing Phuket is judged entirely based on Patongs reputation.

Please don't come, we have enough cynics. We're full.

• Like 2

Never seen pink Farang, have seen a couple of people riding with a can of beer, seen a few people walking in shops with no top on, Phuket being a major tourist destination is bound to attract some unsavory people, I've enjoyed the last 6 yrs here, no problems other than the growing traffic, I would like a quieter more laid back place some time in the future, for now Phuket is home!

• Like 1