Surin holds a public hearing on municipal infrastructure projects

webfact

Surin holds a public hearing on municipal infrastructure projects

SURIN, 26 March 2015, (NNT) - The northeastern province of Surin has held a public hearing on its municipal planning projects, which include road construction along the city’s fourth main route.

The projects were devised in accordance with a Cabinet resolution made on July 30th, 2012, during the previous administration’s mobile Cabinet session held in the province.

The construction projects were initiated to relieve traffic congestion in the downtown area, which has become a fast-growing problem in the Muang district. The problem was also deemed an obstruction to public utilities.

If approved, the project would expand roads along National Highway 214 between the 197th and 200th kilometer.

The road construction projects would complement existing rural roads in the province to establish a strong infrastructure foundation ahead of the ASEAN Economic Community.

The public hearing was held yesterday in order to ensure those affected by the construction can voice their concerns, while allowing the public to raise other issues, such as environmental impacts.

The Surin administration will move onto the next phase of the project only if there are no objections from the public.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-26 footer_n.gif

I thought Surin only had just over 40,000 people.... and they have traffic congestion? I grew up in a town about that size and "if" there was congestion it was only about a 2 minute delay.... I am having a hard time visualizing it.... maybe some locals will give more of a local report on just what is considered traffic congestion there....

I thought Surin only had just over 40,000 people.... and they have traffic congestion? I grew up in a town about that size and "if" there was congestion it was only about a 2 minute delay.... I am having a hard time visualizing it.... maybe some locals will give more of a local report on just what is considered traffic congestion there....

Read the article again. It is talking about Surin Province, not the City its self. The population of Surin is 1.38Million with 342,000 registered households. The city of Surin has a population in excess of 46,673 circa 2012. (your figure was from the year 2000). The Traffic congestion they are talking about is on the trunk routes where cars, buses and lorries pass through Surin Province on their way to other cities. These do get jammed at peak hours especially during Songkran.

Read the article again. It is talking about Surin Province, not the City its self. The population of Surin is 1.38Million with 342,000 registered households. The city of Surin has a population in excess of 46,673 circa 2012. (your figure was from the year 2000). The Traffic congestion they are talking about is on the trunk routes where cars, buses and lorries pass through Surin Province on their way to other cities. These do get jammed at peak hours especially during Songkran.

I did read the article and the goal was to "relieve traffic congestion in the downtown area". Surin the city is the largest of the areas is it not, it is cities / towns that would have downtown areas.

The projects they mention are "widening" certain parts (very limited) of on the 214 which apparently goes through Surin (based on maps). They don't mention it as the city of Surin but from the description I don't think the projects can be anywhere but. If the congestion is caused by regional traffic then widening the highway through Surin the city is not going to accomplish the task, it will only lead to worse problems down the road. The solution would be to move the main highway away from the city (close the 214 through Surin the city to through traffic). It would also be wise to only allow at most 3 on/off ramps on the highway bypassing Surin the city.

Surin is the largest metropolitan area in Surin (that I can see) and although you mention the population of the province. The town I am from is midway between to very large cities (2.5 hours outside each) and had a city with 90,000 next to it and several cities around every 45 to 50 minutes along the way. With all that regional traffic the main highway only required 4 lines (2 in each way). The difference is the highway through was moved outside a long time before. Local traffic would not cause congestion.

I guess what I am saying is they are trying to solve the symptoms and not solve the actual problem.

Take it from me, regardless of the population count, down town traffic is bad. During peak hours, morning and afternoon, the congestion is so bad that the town almost becomes gridlocked. And, if there is a torrential downpour too you might just as well leave your car at home and walk it.

Signed: Surin resident and chaffeur to two school girls who go to school in down town Surin.

• Like 1

How about an airport or does Newin have that sewed up.whistling.gif

I thought that the airport had been made ready for commercial flightst last year ahead of Kan Air leasing a couple of ATR72-500s. However Kan Air appear to have changed their mind. I suspect the developments in Buriram particularly with Air Asia and Nok now scheduling daily flights has shifted the regional demand solidly to Buriram.

• Like 1