Prayut ponders martial law lifting

webfact

This is just a con trick. Such is the attention span of many people around the world, that a headline "Thailand lifts martial law' would really look good and most people would not be interested in reading the small print on what replaces it.

I'm afraid it appears simply like window dressing for external newspaper/media consumption.

I suppose we will end up with 'Absolute Power Tourism' as the next slogan.

• Like 2

One notes that under any circumstances the Prayuth -O one still has absolute power , for that to be so the country of Thailand is so far from Democracy it is sickening, one man has absolute power, dangerous days indeed. coffee1.gif

If he keeps on mouthing off like he's been doing so regularly i would suggest he starts looking over his shoulder.

He says martial law / absolute power is needed becauset here are evil forces around and how many of his opponents will start coming from within his own handpicked pals ?

Edited by Caveat Emptor
  • Like 1

Scarier by the day.

Be very careful what you say on this forum.

The forum management will have no choice than to reveal real names etc if they are told to, if it has not happened already in some cases.

Members have the right to express themselves on this forum, some with transparent motives,

However I will not shed a tear if certain members are taken to task for continually using derogatory words, unsophisticated descriptions (which border on the obscene) and cowardly verbal attacks on people (who have no right of reply).

"keep it civil"

Actually I don't think members have the right to express themselves, certainly on this particular subject. For sure there are many things I would like to say but cannot for fear of possible retribution.

I am sure I am not alone in this.

• Like 1

strong words propagated by a news report from the nation which in my opinion has become another tool of the Shins since the CPL involvement

The only sentence contained in the article that actually reads correctly IMO is this - He insisted that security law was needed to replace martial law because those who have ill intent still exist.

There are people with ill intent in every country on earth, and yet most countries manage to avoid non-stop martial law. Quite a few even manage to live with freedom of press, freedom of speech, political gatherings, people reading "1984" and eating sandwiches in public, and quite a lot else.

I get the impression that after martial law is lifted that political gatherings will still be banned, the press will still be censored, people still won't be allowed to criticize the coup or call for elections, detention without charge will still be a standard procedure, and in every other way nothing will change.

Of course the Prayuth fan club will be praising him for his benevolence, or criticizing him for his leniency, but that's not really a change.

Now IF the Martial Law was lifted WITHOUT other laws or decrees put in it's place then we would be (almost) back to normal.

IF Martial Law is lifted only to have an Emergence Decree or Internal Security Act activated then gatherings of more than four people are most likely still be prohibited. Main difference would probably be 1. no seven day detention by the military, 2. no civilians brough to military courts, 3. ???

Of course it might be interesting to see the Martial Law lifted and have a review after two months. As some told me the existing government may call upon the Martial Law and apply as seen fit if necessary.

All speculation as 'we' are still pondering wink.png

I get the impression that after martial law is lifted that political gatherings will still be banned, the press will still be censored, people still won't be allowed to criticize the coup or call for elections, detention without charge will still be a standard procedure, and in every other way nothing will change.

Of course the Prayuth fan club will be praising him for his benevolence, or criticizing him for his leniency, but that's not really a change.

Now IF the Martial Law was lifted WITHOUT other laws or decrees put in it's place then we would be (almost) back to normal.

IF Martial Law is lifted only to have an Emergence Decree or Internal Security Act activated then gatherings of more than four people are most likely still be prohibited. Main difference would probably be 1. no seven day detention by the military, 2. no civilians brough to military courts, 3. ???

Of course it might be interesting to see the Martial Law lifted and have a review after two months. As some told me the existing government may call upon the Martial Law and apply as seen fit if necessary.

'Now IF the Martial Law was lifted WITHOUT other laws or decrees put in its place then we would be (almost) back to normal.' Rubi.

The interim constitution paves the way for the establishment of a national legislature to exercise the legislative power, a provisional cabinet to take charge of public administration, a reform council to execute extensive national reforms and approve a draft new constitution, and a constituent committee to draft the new constitution. But the constitution does not state a fixed time frame for all these works.

Even though the constitution recognises Thailand as a democratic state and the people as the sovereign, the constitution grants amnesty for all past and future military actions concerning the coup and invests the NCPO with vast powers, including the power by which the NCPO leader can issue any order at will for the sake of the reforms or security and all orders so issued are considered lawful and final. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_interim_constitution_of_Thailand

That is not back to normal?

As the General said, he has special powers. This can mean anything and dose so under immunity.hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJL

• Like 1

'Now IF the Martial Law was lifted WITHOUT other laws or decrees put in its place then we would be (almost) back to normal.' Rubi.

The interim constitution paves the way for the establishment of a national legislature to exercise the legislative power, a provisional cabinet to take charge of public administration, a reform council to execute extensive national reforms and approve a draft new constitution, and a constituent committee to draft the new constitution. But the constitution does not state a fixed time frame for all these works.

Even though the constitution recognises Thailand as a democratic state and the people as the sovereign, the constitution grants amnesty for all past and future military actions concerning the coup and invests the NCPO with vast powers, including the power by which the NCPO leader can issue any order at will for the sake of the reforms or security and all orders so issued are considered lawful and final. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_interim_constitution_of_Thailand

That is not back to normal?

As the General said, he has special powers. This can mean anything and dose so under immunity.hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJL

Which part of "(almost)" didn't you understand? Also I'm just referring to the Martial Law and it being contentious. With or without the NCPO would continue with the reforms and constitution 'updating', the NLA stays in place till the general elections are announced, etc., etc.

If you think nothing will really change lifting the Martial Law, it's lifting will only be the result of the USA Envoy's advise to the government to work on 'perception'. IMHO.

Edited by rubl

like hell he does. he is not giving up one iota of the power he has amassed.

and martial law is a mere technicality at this point, completely irrelevant in light of the fact he has the NLA stacked and can pass ANY law he wants unimpeded by any opposition.