Digger Wanted

solent01

Hi Japhrodisiac

I think I know the auction site you have mentioned, they get a lot a machinery there but mostly no good, most of the diggers have been bracking concrete with brackers where the bucket should be, it kills them, shakes the machine apart. Really I'm looking for a machine thats been working a guarry, or working on farmland, maybe I should just buy new, the MK VI and VII are very new machines, so I'm guessing wont find for sale secand hand yet.

Sol

Hi Japhrodisiac

I think I know the auction site you have mentioned, they get a lot a machinery there but mostly no good, most of the diggers have been bracking concrete with brackers where the bucket should be, it kills them, shakes the machine apart. Really I'm looking for a machine thats been working a guarry, or working on farmland, maybe I should just buy new, the MK VI and VII are very new machines, so I'm guessing wont find for sale secand hand yet.

Sol

I am also interested in buying a digger in auction etc - budget up to 1.5million baht, but the auction site in BangNa seems the #1 place in Thailand?

How would you know/tell if the digger has been used for braking concrete etc? They seem to have 1000s of machines going through there.

As always its always a bit off-putting in buying something second hand, but renting is 20,000+ a day and I need one for 6 months.

Hi Palm

For 1 1/2 mill your looking at a late Komatsu MkIV or early MkV if you up your budget to 2 mill you should get a 4 or 5 year old MKVI, CAT's are too much money, designer digger if you like, your just paying for the name, Kobelco is another good make, but the swivel gearing is stronger on the Komatsu.

OK, you need to look at all the joints on the boom, especially around the bucket, look for to much play, look carefuly at the hip, lift one track up in the air with the boom, the swivel gear should have no play in it. if the top unit moves but the tracks stay planted on the ground don't buy it. Both these indicate its been braking, also tends to shake the engine mounts apart. Engine should not smoke under full power, but that may only mean dirty injectors, spares for Komatsu are pretty cheap ie. 3000 bht for a new roller, fuel and oil filters less than 1000 etc etc. Grease the boom every time you use it (I get my staff to grease the boom every evening before they go home), and keep the tracks tought (you know how to do that I take it? If not just ask very simple job).

20,000+ a day is way too much, you can get a local for 1300 an hour, I operate new machines and go out at 1500 an hour (you can expect a fuel burn of around 20 lts an hr, I budget 600 bht an hour which of course comes out of your hourly rate), but I prefer to work on long contracts so tend to go out on a monthly basis.

This time of year you should be thinking about wide tracks, if your working in mud standard tracks get bogged in, for this reason the locals I know don't work during the rain season, they only have standard, my machines have wide, so I can work all year.

So whats the project? When your done, if you don't want to sell the machine and you've got a good operater I may be able to put some work your way, if you don't mind the machine being anywhere in the country that is.

Sol

need to add, that the MKIV and early MKV have problems during the hot season, they over heat, later MK's not a problem

Edited by solent01