Baby elephant exploited for drunk tourist rager

webfact

If you consider an elephant a domestic animal then what is the difference of riding a horse or an elephant? Does riding a horse or having it perform in a rodeo exploit the animal? What about pony rides at carnivals? The elephants at the elephant trekking places or the elephant shows probably have a much harder life than this elephant going to a party. Elephants are exploited by working in the forests, carrying tourists in the trekking camps and performing in shows. Performing at a party with a bunch of drunks is probably a better gig than hauling logs all day. Many weddings book an 'Elephant blessing' where the elephant comes to the wedding and does a little performance and has it pictures taken with all the guests while they feed it its favorite food. I suppose you could consider this 'exploiting' the elephant too. Either elephants are a domestic animal or they are not. To me 'exploiting an animal is doing something that causes harm or injury to the animal. Giving tourists rides at a swimming party doesn't seem all that exploitive to me.

• Like 1

while I am normally critically on the use of elephants, but this picture is no proof of any abuse.

It could be that the elephant liked it, they like to play with water.

Or the elephant could be very scared.

But impossible to see from the picture.

And I doubt the elephant cares if they are drunk or not, it isn't the moral police.

its always abusive. the thai trainer stands there and hits and pokes the animal with a sharpened hook. its just how its done. some even think its funny.

While I am against holding elephants I have seen several owner without it and I have seen elephants making jokes on their owner, surely not afraid of them. As well I have never seen an elephant with visible wounds due to sharpened hooks.

A time ago two with an elephant always passed by and wanted money.....complete filled up with lao kao....letting the elephant stay at an unsuitable place alone for days eating grass....but even these I didn't see doing something harmful to the elephant.

I am not telling it doesn't happen, nor do I tell that there should be elephant shows, but it isn't all black and white.....

If you consider an elephant a domestic animal then what is the difference of riding a horse or an elephant? Does riding a horse or having it perform in a rodeo exploit the animal? What about pony rides at carnivals? The elephants at the elephant trekking places or the elephant shows probably have a much harder life than this elephant going to a party. Elephants are exploited by working in the forests, carrying tourists in the trekking camps and performing in shows. Performing at a party with a bunch of drunks is probably a better gig than hauling logs all day. Many weddings book an 'Elephant blessing' where the elephant comes to the wedding and does a little performance and has it pictures taken with all the guests while they feed it its favorite food. I suppose you could consider this 'exploiting' the elephant too. Either elephants are a domestic animal or they are not. To me 'exploiting an animal is doing something that causes harm or injury to the animal. Giving tourists rides at a swimming party doesn't seem all that exploitive to me.

Elephants are definitely not domesticated animals. Even babies born in captivity need to be "broken" to be able to be around humans and offer rides, etc. And that "breaking" process is incredibly cruel. Not to mention that most of the young elephants have been poached from the wilds with their mothers probably being killed so the poachers can safely steal the baby.

Can't help you with horses.

RELATED TOPIC:

Phuket Nikki Beach Club promises, 'No more elephants'
Alasdair Forbes

1427688369_1-org.jpg
The photos which were posted on Facebook have drawn criticism from many.

PHUKET: -- Nikki Beach Club – faced with a rising storm of criticism after it posted pictures on Facebook of a baby elephant being ridden by beer-drinking customers – has vowed not to use elephants at the club again.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/813153-phuket-nikki-beach-club-promises-no-more-elephants/