I set up killing of monk, cop says

Lite Beer

I set up killing of monk, cop says
KAMPANART LA-ONG
THE SUNDAY NATION

30256965-01_big.jpg?1427582049589

BANGKOK: --Officer alledges that Udon hospital boss paid him Bt300,000 to arrange murder

POL SR Sgt-Major Charnchai Soisangwan, apprehended last week after fleeing to Laos, has alleged Ek Udon Hospital chairman Banjerd Chatphaithoon paid him Bt300,000 to arrange the murder of revered Udon Thani monk Phra Bundit Supanditto on March 1.

Charnchai also claimed he didn't know the hospital boss until former Udon Thani police chief Maj-General Boonlue Korbangyang assigned him to follow a female |doctor in relation to her alleged |inappropriate contact with Phra Bundit, who was the abbot of Wat Ban Pa Seesiad.

He said he followed the doctor for about a month and didn't see anything suspicious.

He claimed Banjerd gave him negative information about the monk and hired him to arrange to have Phra Bundit shot dead.

Charnchai said he arranged the murder for the money. But he believed his former chief Boonlue had no knowledge of the plot and he didn't tell Boonlue about Banjerd hiring him.

Charnchai said he initially paid janitor Panja Chareesaen Bt50,000 to buy a gun and kill the monk then paid him another Bt110,000 following the murder.

He also paid Bt55,000 to Bunnag Hongsakham, a driver with an |irrigation office, to serve as a lookout for the murder and advised him on an escape route.

Charnchai spoke at a press conference yesterday at the Royal Thai Police (RTP) headquarters in Bangkok, in which only he and Bunnag, the driver, were present.

National police chief General Somyos Poompanmuang affirmed that everyone involved in the murder would be punished, without exception.

Hospital chairman Banjerd has maintained his innocence and refused to take part in yesterday's conference, saying he would only testify in court. Somyos said that was Banjerd's right and the case would be forwarded to the Crime Suppression Division to ensure transparency.

Somyos said, based on the suspects' testimony, the case may have stemmed from jealousy but it had been established on solid evidence, some of which couldn't be revealed to the press at the moment.

He said it was unlikely that Boonlue, who recently commanded the special training division at the Border Patrol Police Bureau, was involved in the murder plot.

Boonlue told him that Banjerd had asked for help to arrange a subordinate to follow the doctor, he said. Subsequently, Boonlue told Charnchai to observe her, and after Banjerd kept asking Boonlue for updates, he told him to talk with Charnchai directly.

Somyos said last week's transfers of Boonlue and Udon Thani police chief Maj-General Chaiyat Saithin to the RTP's operations centre was to ensure transparency in the matter so the public had confidence in the process.

After the press conference, it was reported that Somyos signed an order reinstating Boonlue and Chaiyat to their previous positions.

And the three suspects were taken back to Udon Thani to conduct a crime re-enactment.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/I-set-up-killing-of-monk-cop-says-30256965.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-29

• Like 1

Hasn't Bonlue got an abuse of office case to answer? Or is it OK to assign a senior NCO to follow a mate's wife for a month as some sort of personal favour?

There could even be an accessory case considered.

Elsewhere it would be misuse of official police resources, and a serious misuse at that, but if i read the story correctly he's got his old post back again !

Will they get death punishment for this?

it's apparently the done thing to plead guilty and give information that ' helps ' the investigation / the court and that takes the death penalty off the table.

The koh tsao murderes who killed 2 tourists got death punishment, i would think killing an abbot is far worse in the eyes of Thai culture. On top of that if was the boss of a hospital plus the police who did it.

I would have never believed it if anybody told me this happened in thailand.

it's apparently the done thing to plead guilty and give information that ' helps ' the investigation / the court and that takes the death penalty off the table.

The koh tsao murderes who killed 2 tourists got death punishment, i would think killing an abbot is far worse in the eyes of Thai culture. On top of that if was the boss of a hospital plus the police who did it.

The KT suspects haven't been convicted yet so no sentence but the suspects and victims are non-Thais so ... !

I'm sure the average Thai is appalled at the murder of a monk but as we've seen so many times ' justice ' here can be very skewed and doesn't apply to everybody equally.

Please get your facts straight.

The 2 Burmese scapegoats are awaiting trial.

Postponed until September in hope of the public interest in the case will go away.

Judged by your post, it is working...................coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Please tell me you don't mean that last sentence.

May I respectfully request that the chap is paraded naked in front of his legal team, a few police officers and one or two members of the public? Just to make sure he doesn't slip in the shower, or falls down stairs, or so.

Please get your facts straight.

The 2 Burmese scapegoats are awaiting trial.

Postponed until September in hope of the public interest in the case will go away.

Judged by your post, it is working...................coffee1.gif

You may wish to "get your facts straight" as well.

It looks like people plead guilty to get 50% off the sentence, then fight it properly in the appeals court where the publicity is less and (presumably) buying your way out or calling in favours is easier.

This '50% off' rule is ridiculous. I wonder how many innocent people have pleaded guilty because they don't trust the legal system.

It looks like people plead guilty to get 50% off the sentence, then fight it properly in the appeals court where the publicity is less and (presumably) buying your way out or calling in favours is easier.

This '50% off' rule is ridiculous. I wonder how many innocent people have pleaded guilty because they don't trust the legal system.

50% reduction of sentences, or taking the death penalty off the table isn't an absolute rule.

The 'CULT' of hiring an active police officer by civilians to observe or monitor is shocking.

As the culprit another 'serve and protect' guy , picks up a 300 K pocket money murder of a? Monk!

Would you believe it?

Now who is gonna protect me when i need to be served and protected?