ATM Withdrawel Fee

Bt180 now for Visa/Mastercard at Thai banks. If by small chance you have an American Express card you can withdraw at Bangkok Bank ATMs for only Bt50...I don't think other Thai bank ATMs allow withdrawals using an American Express card, but if they do I don't know if they charge Bt50 like Bangkok Bank or the typical Bt180. AEON ATMs are still Bt150 as far as I've heard but you are limited to max Bt20K withdrawals where some Thai banks like TMB, Krungsri and a few others allow Bt30K...the remaining banks allow Bt20K or Bt25K max withdrawals.

When I say the ATM allows XX baht max withdrawal that's based on that ATM's limit...if your "card-issuing bank" has a lower max withdrawal then of course the card limit overrides the ATM limit. Max withdrawal should be a consideration...would you rather withdraw Bt20K and then Bt10K in order to get Bt30K in two ATM withdrawals which incurs two Bt180 fees or withdraw the Bt30K in one withdrawal which incurs one Bt180 fee. And don't forget any foreign transaction fee your "card-issuing" bank may apply...don't blame that fee on the Thai ATM...blame that fee on your card-issuing bank.

• Like 1

I get charged atm fees at both ends. I use it 3 times a month each time 180 baht here and $5 in Canada. The $5 Canada now is about 125 baht so every time I use the atm it costs me 305 baht at 3 times a month that 915 baht a month not a lot of money but over the year 10,860 baht. Now that starts to add up after 10 years or so. But if a guy lives here he has to take the good with the bad.

I get charged atm fees at both ends. I use it 3 times a month each time 180 baht here and $5 in Canada. The $5 Canada now is about 125 baht so every time I use the atm it costs me 305 baht at 3 times a month that 915 baht a month not a lot of money but over the year 10,860 baht. Now that starts to add up after 10 years or so. But if a guy lives here he has to take the good with the bad.

No, he should get a new bank in Canada that doesn't charge such outlandish fees and not accept the " bad ". Every time one of my US banks tries this kind of usury, I change banks

You are too good to banksters. To me, the Bt915 for one month would have me looking seriously at another way to get money...I couldn't bear the thought of paying such a fee for a year or 10 years.

Now, I'm sure banksters (on both ends) would argue Bt915 per month is not that much to have the freedom of pulling money whenever you want and having it immediately in-hand.

But, to each his own in how they get money from their home country...it's a free country (not totally applicable to Thailand).

2711...... The Thai charges will likely be a small percentage of the total bank "take". US banks will charge you extra for a foreign transaction, but at least now they are legally required to show that on your statement rather than hiding it like they did in the past. Just do a withdrawal and see what the fees are. You won't be sweating the difference between 150 and 180 baht!