Fibre-optic Internet Connection

Rotweiler

Some 2 weeks ago, we were contacted by out local TOT rep and informed of a new promotion they has - fibre-optic lines to our computer; giuaranteed 1.5 MB/s speeds, same monthly price, and only a 500B charge for the equipment upgrade. Sounded too good to be... My wife signed up.

Today TOT arrived. First the fibre-optic cable was run from the street to the house. Nice clean install through the attic.

Installed the new router, and...

Holy crap! A steady fast 1.65MB/s

If you are offered it, accept.

Good for you. Our experience has been completely opposite.

The service worked well for several weeks,,,,, then started degrading.

It is still degrading and some days i am doing well if i can get 20KB/s.

And yes, we have made the usual complaints and have received the usual excuses.

Seven of us in this condo block signed up - and it was expensive.

We wish we had stayed with ADSL.

I have 3BB optic fibre connection : everything OK with average download from European servers around 10 Mb except from Friday evening to Sunday morning...(I guess too many people at home and playing poker online ?smile.png )

Good for you. Our experience has been completely opposite.

The service worked well for several weeks,,,,, then started degrading.

It is still degrading and some days i am doing well if i can get 20KB/s.

And yes, we have made the usual complaints and have received the usual excuses.

Seven of us in this condo block signed up - and it was expensive.

We wish we had stayed with ADSL.

If your domestic speeds are unreliable then you should find a way to escalate a trouble ticket.

It would help if you could identify where the problem originated (ie:, Apartment Building, CO (central office), NOC (network operations center BKK)

What does a Speed Test to the NOC show (using the ISP speed test page from their website)?

No data usage caps.

Yes, unlimited monthly usage.

No throttling.

Dual router - wired to the fibre cable; router has 4 hard wired slots and unlimited WiFi).

Does the internet provider in CR put any kind of cap on your data? Does your monthly fee cover unlimited data, or do they throttle it down after so much? Also, do they give you a wifi router or is it wired?

• 3 weeks later...

I have TOT and there was some trouble at first but after a few calls the 40 MB down and 4 MB up has been perfect.

Are you near town ChaangNoi for this service or further afield?

I'm out of town but on the main road that goes to Wiang Chai (spelling?). I'm on the far side of the new bypass road by about 2 km.

• 1 month later...

Given up on waiting for the TOT F/O so went into CAT head office a couple of weeks back and asked for their connection.

Manager told me it doesn't come out my way.

Came home and took photos of a box on a nearby pole with CAT on it and took them into the shop in Central last week, the girl signed me up on the spot.

They ran the wire to the house yesterday and the A Team turned up today and hooked it up.

They were headed out the door when I asked them to check all the other devices were picking up the wifi signal from the modem which took another half hour and a lengthy call to head office.

I paid for the "Silver " connection, 20mps/3mps, just checked the speed. 1500B a month.

It was 25/2.8 when they left, now 32.5/0.75

Edited by sceadugenga

Good for Scea you finally got something workable. I know you have been trying for a while. Last month I got Tot to install regular with Wi-Fi @20mbps for 900 per month but it has its moments. I am in Canada now but just before I left I saw the fiber cable being strung again around Wiang Chai and my village Ban Tri Keaw. So I will check into it when I get back. Because even with 20mbps there must me a choke point because it bogs down a lot. And streaming is out of the question and YouTube is difficult at times. So great news to hear all and all Randell

• 4 weeks later...

My first CAT bill arrived today, it's only 700B plus tax, less than half the quoted price.

Clearly states it's for 20mbs/3mbs.

I'll go in and complain later. wink.pngsmile.pngcool.png

Gotta wonder if that's pro-rated for a partial month.

The CAT Internet FTTx ON NET service pricing shows

Home Use 15mbps/1mbps 690 thb

Silver 20mbps/3mbps 1500 thb

Did they issue you both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses?

My neighbour who knows everything seems to think it's a partial bill as well, I suppose I'll find out in a months time.

Not sure about the IP addresses, until I got the bill I had no paperwork at all.

Why do you need the internet, if you have a neighbor who knows everything? smile.png

The sites I tried were pretty constant for Thailand 23.1/3.1 but the international connections varied, upload still around 3 but download speed as low as 5 in some cases.

Maybe if you suggest a test site?

Edited by sceadugenga

I use http://www.speedtest.net

As you can see the internet speed within Thailand is usually close to the advertised speed... The problem is that the vast majority of the "Internet" is not in Thailand and your access speed in areas where the internet is is usually only a fraction of what you paid for...

post-23568-0-19604600-1437033831_thumb.p

post-23568-0-31644700-1437033851_thumb.p

Edited by sfokevin

That's interesting, my main problem with TOT broad band was that over the last year or so it never came near the advertised speed.

When I complained to the manager at the main office he advised me to avoid using international websites. blink.png

I'm currently happy with the CAT f/o because while I have no great need for a lightening fast download speed the TOT upload speed was always ridiculous.

• 8 months later...

ps very slow when browsing anything outside Thailand, specifically USA and UK, I don't know why folk make the distinction of International vs local, what are they browsing locally? Even most Thailand websites are hosted in Singapore and Hong Kong!