New Notebook Woes

Gary A

I am going to the US for a family visit and decided to buy a new laptop while I am there. I have spent a lot of time the past four days trying to decide which one to buy. I must admit that Apple was looking pretty good BUT I still have an issue about not being able to run some of my programs, AutoCad for one. I must have looked at fifty review sites and consumer sites. It was interesting that Apple and Lenovo (IBM) have the fewest repair problems. I had pretty much decided on a Toshiba but read on several site that the service sucks. I have now decided on the Lenovo T 60. It gets consistently good reviews and has the dual core processor along with the SATA hard drive. It is a little higher priced than I wanted at $1,399 but it has all the features that I want.

For you Apple fans, what do you do with all your Windows programs? Which Apple can use both Windows and the Apple operating systems?

I am going to the US for a family visit and decided to buy a new laptop while I am there. I have spent a lot of time the past four days trying to decide which one to buy. I must admit that Apple was looking pretty good BUT I still have an issue about not being able to run some of my programs, AutoCad for one. I must have looked at fifty review sites and consumer sites. It was interesting that Apple and Lenovo (IBM) have the fewest repair problems. I had pretty much decided on a Toshiba but read on several site that the service sucks. I have now decided on the Lenovo T 60. It gets consistently good reviews and has the dual core processor along with the SATA hard drive. It is a little higher priced than I wanted at $1,399 but it has all the features that I want.

For you Apple fans, what do you do with all your Windows programs? Which Apple can use both Windows and the Apple operating systems?

ALL intel based apples can run windows and MAC OS X using bootcamp.

The new Core Duo 2 notebooks are just coming out, and are a bit better than the older Core Duo notebooks. However, if you're set on getting a Lenovo, you might have to wait a bit, as these top tier makers usually take a bit of time to get new products out to the consumer.

Here's what I ended up with;

Lenovo T43p

Processor Pentium M 2.26 GHz

Installed Memory 1 GB (DDR2 SDRAM)

Hard Drive 100 GB Ultra ATA 100, 7200 RPM

Display 14.1 in. SXGA+ TFT Active Matrix

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Mobile Technology Intel Centrino Mobile Technology

Chipset Intel 915PM Express

Bus Speed 533 MHz

Installed RAM 1 GB

RAM Technology DDR2 SDRAM

Max Supported RAM 2.048 GB

RAM Speed 533 MHz

Installed Cache Memory 2048 KB

Hard Drive Capacity 100 GB

Hard Drive Rotation Speed 7200 RPM

Storage Controller Type Ultra ATA 100

CD / DVD Type DVD/RW

Optical Drive Read Speed 24x (CD) • 8x (DVD)

Display Tech SXGA+ TFT Active Matrix

Display Color Support 24-bit (16.7 million colors)

Display Max. Resolution 1400 x 1050

Graphic Processor ATI Mobility FIRE GL V3200

Installed Video Memory 128 MB

Graphic Bus Interface PCI Express

External Video Resolution 2048 x 1536

Audio Output Type Headphones • Sound card • Speaker(s)

Audio Input Type Microphone

Expandability 1 x Type I/II PC Card Slot, Docking Station/Port Replicator, 1 x ExpressCard

Expansion Ports 2 x USB 2.0, VGA out, RJ-11 (modem), RJ-45 (NIC), S-Video out

Security Features Finger Print Sensor, HDD Password, Slot For Cable Lock, Power-On Password, IBM Embedded Security Subsystem 2.0, Administrator Password

Input Method Keyboard • Touchpad • Trackpoint • Ultranav

Networking Type Bluetooth • Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card • Infrared Port • Integrated Wireless LAN

Data Link Protocol Bluetooth • Ethernet • Fast Ethernet • Gigabit Ethernet • IEEE 802.11b • IEEE 802.11g

Modem Type Fax / Modem Analog Modulation Protocol ITU V.92

Battery Run Time 5.7 Hour(s).

Battery Technology Lithium ion

Width 12.2 in.

Depth 10 in.

Height 1 in.

Weight 5.97 lb.

Warranty 3 Years International

Since this machine is not the latest and the greatest I got a pretty good price. Retail was $3,300 and I got it for $1,550. Yes, I know I could have gotten the latest and the greatest for the same money but I have faith in the old tried and tested and it is loaded.

I would probably have had no qualms about getting an older gen notebook a few years back, but with Vista around the cornder and it's demanding CPU and graphics requirements, you're not going to enjoy the "Vista Experience" very much.

The thing about notebooks is that they come as underperformers compared to desktops, so their life is even shorter than that of desktops. Buying an older generation means that you're not going to get much useful life out of it before you're going to need to replace it to keep up.

Quite frankly if MS is going to wait for me to buy Vista when XP Pro still has bugs they will be waiting a LONG time. By the time I decide to buy Vista that laptop will be old enough to throw away. :o

Quite frankly if MS is going to wait for me to buy Vista when XP Pro still has bugs they will be waiting a LONG time. By the time I decide to buy Vista that laptop will be old enough to throw away. :o

Go ahaed with the Lenovo. IBM is like Coca Cola: everywhere around the world. The service is exelent.

It's not really realistic to expect or demand software without bugs. They don't exist. Unless you're only talking about a few lines of code, which can't be expected of an operating system. OSX has bugs. Linux has bugs. Unix has bugs. Solaris has bugs. In other words, there is no OS out there without plenty of bugs. So if you're going to wait for a bugless OS, you'll probably be waiting until the end of time.

But of course, a purchase is a matter of personal decision/preference. For me, I don't buy into planned obscelesence.

Here's what I ended up with;

Lenovo T43p

Processor Pentium M 2.26 GHz

Since this machine is not the latest and the greatest I got a pretty good price. Retail was $3,300 and I got it for $1,550. Yes, I know I could have gotten the latest and the greatest for the same money but I have faith in the old tried and tested and it is loaded.

Smart choice. I love my Core Duo but I do miss the decent battery life and 5.7 hours with a Fire GL installed is nothing short of incredible! Display resolution / size / battery life all taken into account, I would say this is an excellent machine for an excellent price.

I have an Acer TM8204, probably faster but it's also much bigger, much worse battery life, and was more expensive. I do need the big screen of course (1680x...)

But of course, a purchase is a matter of personal decision/preference. For me, I don't buy into planned obscelesence.

I take it you don't have a computer or a car, then? :o

Vista is going to ship - realistically - sometime around 2009. And frankly, knowing Microsoft, and despite anything they say, it's going to be Windows XP with new OS-X-like graphics. Why Vista will apparently have very high requirements for the hardware it's running on is a complete mystery of course. What's it going to do?

The only thing we heard of that they think will take lots of power is graphics. Now, no matter what fancy stuff Vista can do over what's already in OS X, it's not going to be any strain at all on any half decent graphics card you can buy today. All of OS Xs nice screen effects run in OpenGL, on the graphics card, the processor is not involved. Vista will do the same thing.

ALL intel based apples can run windows and MAC OS X using bootcamp.

That won't get you around the fact that Apples are designed to look pretty rather than work properly - you'll find you're paying for expensive (and easily damaged) finishes and weird latches and hinges that won't last the course. They are however well-practiced in RTB warrenty repairs :o

Since I am here in Thailand I wanted something I thought would be very dependable. Lenovo and Apple are the top two brands as far as reliability. I have an old Thinkpad that is a P3 300 and other than the keyboard took a crap it still works great. My wife likes the remote keyboard anyways because it has the Thai characters on it. It has been a good one.

I hope to be using an operating system other than MS in the near future so I am not concerned with Vista at all.

CPU's for laptops have finally matured as of just now. Within the last week Intel rolled out the mobile Core 2 Duo's and AMD the Turion 2. What this means is both brands offer dual core, 64-bit processors with low power consumption. Preliminary indicators is Intel is faster, more power efficienct, and perhaps even cheaper than AMD. If you don't want an obsolete box, these two processor lines should be the minimum. They have got it all.

I would not base my choice simply on some reliability statistics mayor brands are pretty reliable today and still you can have problems like the recent Apple battery recall.

Buy only Intel Core 2 Duo (Merom) processor based laptop, this CPU is the best on the market price/performance/power consumption-wise. Get at least 1GB RAM better 2.GB. Get a DVD burner, Get Bluetooth. Get at least an 80GB disk. (If not enough you can buy always a USB/Firewire external disk. (webcam and mic is useful too)

Choose the screen size do you want portable go with 12-13 inch screen, do you want more of a desktop replacement get a 17” laptop, want a compromise get something 14-15”. Do you use CAD or want to play 3D games you will need better graphics card then the standard shared memory based.

I would include in my list Fujitsu, Dell and HP as well.

I see some nice units from HP dv9000t – 17” , dv6000t – 15” , dv2000t – 14”

I would not base my choice simply on some reliability statistics mayor brands are pretty reliable today and still you can have problems like the recent Apple battery recall.

Buy only Intel Core 2 Duo (Merom) processor based laptop, this CPU is the best on the market price/performance/power consumption-wise. Get at least 1GB RAM better 2.GB. Get a DVD burner, Get Bluetooth. Get at least an 80GB disk. (If not enough you can buy always a USB/Firewire external disk. (webcam and mic is useful too)

Choose the screen size do you want portable go with 12-13 inch screen, do you want more of a desktop replacement get a 17” laptop, want a compromise get something 14-15”. Do you use CAD or want to play 3D games you will need better graphics card then the standard shared memory based.

Note to all: The OP already has bought his laptop. Anyway, others will be following this with interest so here's my 2c:

- Dell good if you get the business models (Latitude), service is crap as of late.

- Fujitsu, depends on where it was made, made in Malaysia are crap, made in Japan are very fine machines.

- HP, very spotty quality, but good service, at least they fix it when something goes wrong, quick and painless.

I want to add Acer to the list, great quality in the business lines (== the expensive models), so-so or outright bad quality in the consumer. Excellent A-grade service. They had a turnaround of less than 24h for most problems.

zoltannyc. great advice ! Gary go back to the start line , ask youself "what am I going to use this computer for on a daily basis ?" "What do I really need ??" When you have done that , buy the best by shopping around, there are plenty of deals around.

zoltannyc. great advice ! Gary go back to the start line , ask youself "what am I going to use this computer for on a daily basis ?" "What do I really need ??" When you have done that , buy the best by shopping around, there are plenty of deals around.

The bottom line is that I have purchased the computer already. I use Bluetooth and it is built in. WIFI is also built in. I would have liked a SATA hard drive and the duo Processor but since I have absolutely no interest in the new Vista technology the latest processor doesn't interest me at all. I already have an old Thinkpad ant it still works great. I want to connect with WIFI and or Bluetooth and this machine has both. I wanted a fast boot machine and the 100 gig 7200 rpm hard drive does that. A gig of ram is more than I need for sure. I am convinced that this machine will suit my needs for the next several years. After a LOT of study I am convinced that this machine will do everything I want from it and more. The three year international warranty helps too. Right, wrong or otherwise I have chosen a Lenovo and rely on that reputation.

The bottom line is that I have purchased the computer already. I use Bluetooth and it is built in. WIFI is also built in. I would have liked a SATA hard drive and the duo Processor but since I have absolutely no interest in the new Vista technology the latest processor doesn't interest me at all. I already have an old Thinkpad ant it still works great. I want to connect with WIFI and or Bluetooth and this machine has both. I wanted a fast boot machine and the 100 gig 7200 rpm hard drive does that. A gig of ram is more than I need for sure. I am convinced that this machine will suit my needs for the next several years. After a LOT of study I am convinced that this machine will do everything I want from it and more. The three year international warranty helps too. Right, wrong or otherwise I have chosen a Lenovo and rely on that reputation.

I think for the price you paid you got a nice Notebook with a lot of stuff installed...even better the 7200rpm ,100gb hard drive...I used to have IBM before and they have the best global Service. Here in Thailand that may be Acer. But one Company that you should stay away is Toshiba...while they have nice Products but in case something ever happens you are alone.On my Notebook that was "repaired to death by them" only with a good amount of Force i got their BKK Office (Chatuchak) to move their asses ...

anyways,good luck with the new Notebook, :D

rcm :o

Edited by rcm

did the switch to apple last year - not even for a millisecond i'm tempted to go back to windows.

the stability, intuitivity of the programs, simply everything is just easier, better, nicer.

one company builds the whole thing (hardware, softwares), whereas with windows computers you end up with inputs from many sides.

do the switch. 99 percent of what is available on windows is available by now on macs.

and pantip offers great prices for great softwares.