farming frogs commercially

Tai777

Hello Thaivisa members.

I have my own plot of land in NE Thailand and I'm interested in farming frogs to sell at the markets.

First of all I'd like anyone to share their experiences with frog farming if you have some.

I need to know what the name of the common frog species found in rice paddies is so I can research its diet and breeding habits. I am not talking of the striped chubby frog but of the larger more aggressive types, though I am open to raising the chubby frog too.

I have about 25 rai so I think I have enough space.

Please share your methods as well as any useful information, thanks.

Visit the Kings Project at Doi Saket, Chiang Mai, they teach frog farming there and help people to set up their own farm. The whole place is well worth a visit not just for the thousands of frogs there but many other projects as well for farmers.

Visit the Kings Project at Doi Saket, Chiang Mai, they teach frog farming there and help people to set up their own farm. The whole place is well worth a visit not just for the thousands of frogs there but many other projects as well for farmers.

Lo and behold the frog idea, unfortunate. Great idea---but a huge amount of

bacteria, seems frogs live in mud which contain Listeria---NO GO

Fresh frog legs from France are clean ---and expensive----more so than lobster. All frogs from Thailand are full off pesticides and human shit.

Wonder why you have diarrhea after eating local food-----its because you are eating there dire shits----Its not the spices!

Just about every house septic tank in a Thai moo baan has hundreds of frogs in it. With 25 rai, sounds like the OP is talking mass production. Have a feeling he may run into officialdom on such a scale.

I live in Mahasarakham my in laws and all around us raise just the tadpoles. Season is about mid March to end of July. They average about 100 bt per kilo. you can get from 40to 100 kilo per hatch. About 14 days from hatch to sell. As to what kind of frog don't know. The sell the hell out of them.

I raised what I believe are called Asian bullfrogs for a season. They aren't difficult, nearly any plan will work, I did mine in concrete tanks, 4x3 meters. Wouldn't bother doing the tanks next time, as all you really need is a frog proof fence. The are horrible cannibals though. You have to keep them with similar sized buddies.

I would have to say that my project was unfinished as we had the inlaws take care of them and they didn't really put in any effort. We sold some and ate some, but we lost a lot to poor care.

I will do it again, but too many irons in the fire at the moment.

Fresh frog legs from France are clean ---and expensive----more so than lobster. All frogs from Thailand are full off pesticides and human shit.

Wonder why you have diarrhea after eating local food-----its because you are eating there dire shits----Its not the spices!

I read this with concern. Fortunately there were more posts thereafter that contained personal experiences raising the non-French frogs.

The illnesses one can acquire comes not only from contaminated food, but sometimes from contaminated thinking.

I don't use pesticides on my field, and I am sure there's no human faeces. As for Doi Saket, I will go check it out when I have time.

I will not have anyone else do the work for me as I have learned from previous endeavors. They simply don't put in the time and effort.

I used to have (sorry no longer) some videos from Kaesesart Uni on how to raise frogs.

We showed them to a group of farmers and one chap ran with the idea,

Very successful, he now teaches others regularly,

He has a great eco-farm, about 25 rai also where he does all sorts of fruits and insects, frogs etc,

He even had solar power but recently connected to mains. Still uses the solar I think when I was last out there.

Amazing little farm that I am very envious off, great guy, and if you are near Sawang Daen Din I could see if he's available, however he speaks zero english.

The only <deleted> is the <deleted> you talk j7general. We are a government accredited frog breeder in northeast. With that it require testing of water, testing of frog flesh for any pesticide etc, and i can tell you they are looked after with best quality food. So know facts before sprouting. Ok granted old mum and dad doing in a hole in the ground may not be the best quality but do not think all produce is bad.

Hi Tai777,

I hope you are able to sort through the info from folks with experience with those of folks with too much time on their hands. Go to You Tube and search "Frog farming in Thailand" and you will come up with dozens of informative videos. Take a look at Obob farms as they are quite good. We still have some of the pens here at my house and out on the farm (we have too much going on at the moment) if you want to visit Petchabun. Also in Petchabun we have a government hatchery for fish and frogs and they are quite knowledgeable, but you can probably find a hatchery closer. One concern would be do you have the market. We live a couple of KM outside of Petchabun and I can tell you that a couple of thousand frogs a month would be difficult to move for a new farmer here. As for bacteria, you need to make sure your pens have some amount of sunlight as that will help, but a good water source will also be needed. On the plus side, they have a decent fcr so a profit is doable.

Good Luck

I saw the videos, thanks.

I was talking to a Thai and they said I might not be able to sell well because "people these days only want to eat hot dogs, meatballs and fast food."

I'm sure most people 30+ in Isaan still eat frogs don't they?

Raising frogs is not difficult. I'm mostly familiar with frog farms that use concrete basins that can be drained and cleaned easily. I would suggest, though, that before you start, you research the market thoroughly. Where I live there are already many frog farms and the market gets pretty saturated after the first growing season. Generally, you can start growing frogs in February, after the cooler months are behind us. Then 3 months later, around May, the frogs are of a reasonable size to sell. However, it's the same for every other frog farm. So the market gets saturated from May on and the price per kilo goes way down. If you are thinking of selling directly to the market, it could be difficult as most people that sell frogs at the market already have a supplier lined up. So you will be trying to nudge out somebody else who is already established. Good luck!

i have not seen ''big bull frogs'' in my experense here, perhaps i am looking in the wrong places and those served up on the platter i dont even consider bull frog.. i am referring to what we call the arkansas/midwest bull frog with a drumstick the size 0f chicken legs.you cook the whole frog as meat on back, front legs etc is pleantful.

i ventured into raising them in the real world 30+ years ago. i captured, transported, segregated, tried to feed, care for, fo a couple seasons/years. great learning experience, but not a sucussful venture on my part.

they only eat live or what appears to be live food

they are cannibals to the extreme

they mate singularly/very protective of personal space

they have a tendency to do walk abouts, no apparent reason

a deasease caqlled reed leg can take huge toll

unwelcome guests, human and animal consider them delectable also

seperate ponds, good clean water supply, and restraint/fence around all required

and thats is just the good parts i remember,

the chinese are reported to be somewhat succsful using silk larva as food source

i had other business intrests and just did not have time to pursure the project as required, on paper it looks like an investment dream and actually had peop;ple who wanted to hear about investment oppurnities and this came from them overhearing me relating my failure over a few drinks to some friends.

i have good memories and chuckle ever now and again just from the memories.

• 4 weeks later...

In his village, my father in law is the frog man - he has bred and sold them for years. We've had 4 / 12sq mt frog ponds in for several years now and he happily tends them for us, feeds the family and makes a little money too, so I would recommend giving it a try.

Main requirements are separating the sizes, water changes every few days (no chlorinated), a shady spot with protection from birds/snakes and a handful of feed pellets every second day. My wife's small shop has a good customer base and are in demand.

Archived