Best Burger in Bangkok 2015......

smokie36

Oh and what kind of burgers do the Japanese have at Mos Burger?

The burgers at Mos Burger are a freak show, only Japanese who know no better can consider them palatable. They are like a delivery system for massive amounts of mayonnaise.

Go ahead. Try one. Small meat patties, way too much mayo, bread that you forget even as you chew it.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, Carl's Jr. has been running a Friday promotion for some time now wherein most all of their solo burgers (not their fries and drink combinations) are two for the price of one all day Fridays. They were handing out flyers the other day when I popped by for lunch, so presumably this promotion is going to continue for a while longer. (This promo excludes their philly steak, bacon guacamole and mile high burgers).

post-58284-0-32328000-1433669764_thumb.j

During the time they've been running this promotion, I used it as an opportunity to try some of the other burgers on their menu that I'd never tried before. For a long time, I've been (and continue to be) a big fan of their jalapeno burger, because the jalapenos give it some tartness/zing, the jack cheese is nice, and usually, they serve it with good portions of fresh onion slices, sliced tomato and reasonably crisp iceberg lettuce.

So, I figured, if the jalapeno burger there was good, the others must be pretty good also... Well, I was wrong about that.

Without going into all the burger by burger details, suffice to say, IMHO....

--the "BBQ sauce" they put on some of the burgers here is pretty tasteless and best avoided.

--the cheddar cheese slice they put on their other burgers seems to be the typical (and kind of yucky) processed cheese supermarket type.

--the bacon they serve, to me, doesn't taste at all like bacon and came out flavorless and limp instead of crisp and tasty.

--the chili on their chili-cheeseburger was barely present, despite them raising my hopes by serving the burger in a big box with a plastic fork or spoon. Needless to say, neither the box nor the utensil was required.

So, after all that, I'm sticking with the jalapeno burger, and sometimes even two!!! tongue.png

post-58284-0-39075900-1433671033_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Oh and what kind of burgers do the Japanese have at Mos Burger?

The burgers at Mos Burger are a freak show, only Japanese who know no better can consider them palatable. They are like a delivery system for massive amounts of mayonnaise.

Go ahead. Try one. Small meat patties, way too much mayo, bread that you forget even as you chew it.

Yeah I've been to Mos Burger with the kids in my family.

1.The portions are extremely small. 5 bites and I was done.

2.The prices at 150thb+ are an insult.

3. It's blasphemy to call Mos Burgers burgers at all. They're imported Japanese feces surrounded by lettuce, tomato, a sponge they call bread, and tons of sauce.

I believe the only reason they still exist is because of rich Japanese who don't know any better, and Thai Hiso's who take pictures of themselves eating these abominations saying "Hey, I spent 169thb on original Japanese burgers. As if burgers were native to Japan. And don't even get me started on their so-called french fries...

Hemingway's, Sukhumvit Soi 14.

Outstanding burger, 220g of juicy goodness, pleasantly seasoned, choice of cheeses (I chose cheddar), sesame seed bun (not toasted but could be requested), served with lettuce, onion, tomato, pickles, cole slaw and curly fries. Asked for it medium, it was served medium. 300 thb.

Actually, almost all of the food I've had there is very, very good. June promo is daily Happy Hour, 11:00-20:00.

Outstanding burger, 220g of juicy goodness, pleasantly seasoned, choice of cheeses (I chose cheddar), sesame seed bun (not toasted but could be requested), served with lettuce, onion, tomato, pickles, cole slaw and curly fries. Asked for it medium, it was served medium. 300 thb.

The food I've had at Hemingway's in the past, other than their hamburger, was average at best...

And, any place that serves up their hamburgers WITHOUT toasting the bun first probably isn't going to rate in the "outstanding" category.

Come to think of it, I'd say the chances of finding a truly "outstanding" hamburger anywhere in Thailand are probably pretty slim.

New York Style Steak and Burger on 22

http://nysteakandburger.com/

That's the first I've heard of this place... The website and descriptions looks interesting... But will the burgers live up to the hype???

http://nysteakandburger.com/?p=1

250 baht for a BLT?!?!?!?!? Come on, really? Need to be insane to pay that much for a simple BLT 'with house mayo'. That has to be one hell of a mayo!

New York Style Steak and Burger on 22

http://nysteakandburger.com/

That's the first I've heard of this place... The website and descriptions looks interesting... But will the burgers live up to the hype???

http://nysteakandburger.com/?p=1

Similar style to Firehouse....hope the buns are better...WAY better....cos that let Firehouse down badly imho.

The food I've had at Hemingway's in the past, other than their hamburger, was average at best...

And, any place that serves up their hamburgers WITHOUT toasting the bun first probably isn't going to rate in the "outstanding" category.

Come to think of it, I'd say the chances of finding a truly "outstanding" hamburger anywhere in Thailand are probably pretty slim.

That's what makes the world a great place....different people have different tastes and opinions.

The No Idea restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 22 has a very good Australian Wagyu burger. Not cheap but good quality and nice atmosphere.

Completely agree (and I've mentioned it earlier in the thread.) Just had one last Saturday night, in fact.

That's what makes the world a great place....different people have different tastes and opinions.

As you said...

Based on the positive recommendations here, I tried the No Idea burger a couple weeks back. Can't recall the price exactly, but believe it was in the 350-400 baht range.

Overall, I wasn't impressed and wouldn't go back for another. For me, the meat had a kind of odd flavor, the french fries were soft and tasted like they'd come straight out of a frozen food bag, and the pickle on the burger seemed to be a thin sliced cucumber.

Perhaps there's a Brit/Aussie vs American hamburger style bias going on here... but their burger did nothing for me.

post-58284-0-66653200-1433837351_thumb.j

post-58284-0-94377500-1433837354_thumb.j

On the other hand... just before the Siam Discovery mall closed for remodeling recently, I went over and tried the Outback Steakhouse burger I'd had in the past. When the Outback restaurant reopens again when the Siam Discovery mall reopens, their Outbacker Burger for 359 baht is definitely one I'd be going back for.

The meat tasted like real hamburger, the fresh veggies and real dill pickle garnishes were good, the bun toasted, two slices of cheese, a small but tasty portion of crisp, hot, seasoned fries, and a complimentary warm roll of Outback's pretty good brown bread. Overall, one of the better restaurant hamburgers I've had in Bangkok, and nice to see that they were consistent from my prior burger visit a year or two ago and my most recent one.

post-58284-0-56692500-1433837872_thumb.j

post-58284-0-96390300-1433837897_thumb.j

Likewise, someone here above had positive comments about the 390b Wagyu Grilled burger at the new Chop restaurant in the EmQuartier mall. Anytime I try a burger someplace for the first time, I tend to want to try their basic burger without any fancy add-ons, since in my experience that tends to be a better indicator of just what they're serving.

So, instead of the Wagyu, I tried their basic The Chop burger for 280 baht. Their menu describes it as grilled Angus and says it comes with "our signature sauce." Overall, I thought the burger plate was OK, not as good as Outback, but much better than No Idea's burger. The meat tasted fine and was nicely grilled, the garnishes were fresh, and the french fries were crisp and hot.

The only downside for me was their so-called "signature sauce" which was slathered on the bun and apparently also used as a grilling sauce on the burger. To me, it was a pretty nondescript, overly sweet sauce that reminded me a lot of the so-called BBQ sauce that Carl's Jr. puts on some of their burgers. Next time, I'd ask the Chop to leave off the sauce entirely, and I'd come away with a pretty decent burger. Their dining room also is pretty nice in terms of ambiance, although the restaurant was empty when i stopped by there late on a weekday afternoon.

post-58284-0-37032200-1433839139_thumb.j

post-58284-0-06890300-1433839149_thumb.j

post-58284-0-82277800-1433839166_thumb.j

post-58284-0-05333600-1433839328_thumb.j

On the other hand... just before the Siam Discovery mall closed for remodeling recently, I went over and tried the Outback Steakhouse burger I'd had in the past. When the Outback restaurant reopens again when the Siam Discovery mall reopens, their Outbacker Burger for 359 baht is definitely one I'd be going back for.

The meat tasted like real hamburger, the fresh veggies and real dill pickle garnishes were good, the bun toasted, two slices of cheese, a small but tasty portion of crisp, hot, seasoned fries, and a complimentary warm roll of Outback's pretty good brown bread. Overall, one of the better restaurant hamburgers I've had in Bangkok, and nice to see that they were consistent from my prior burger visit a year or two ago and my most recent one.

Interesting that of the burgers you've tried the one you liked the most was served at a chain restaurant (that's not intended as anything other than an observation.) I say that since many, if not most, chain restaurants generally try to serve a rather homogenous product that will appeal to a broad cross-section of the public - as such, that product tends to be....blander? less creative?...I'm not sure of the exact phrase/description I'm trying to express but least common denominator comes to mind.

Thanks for the photos. I took a couple at Hemingway's but it was at night and the camera didn't have a flash so they came out too dark. That looks a lot like my burger at No Idea though your fries do look a bit undercooked. (The pickle on the burger is a dill pickle sliced length-wise, at least that's what I thought it was.)

Happy hunting!

Funny....looking at both those burgers John I'm not tempted by either of them...I like the burger to be the same size as the bun for a start...and the wagyu thing doesn't impress me.

Walked past the new place on Soi 22 today....upstairs of the wine place opposite the being refurbished hotel....I could easily have missed it had I not had decent directions from this thread.

Burger there looks better so I will try that sometime soon.

Had a great burger on Saturday in Amsterdam for 550 Baht equivalent....with thrice cooked chips....way better than any of the anaemic rubbish posing as fries/chips on here.

Come on Bangkok....get everything right....not just one or two components!

Bit off topic but I was in the new mall opposite Emporium yesterday and bumped into the Greek guy working at one of the meat spots in the basement.

Their roast beef sandwiches are worth a mention with lashings of horseradish....lot of options there and will find somewhere more appropriate for a fuller review soon no doubt.

Funny....looking at both those burgers John I'm not tempted by either of them...I like the burger to be the same size as the bun for a start...and the wagyu thing doesn't impress me.

Walked past the new place on Soi 22 today....upstairs of the wine place opposite the being refurbished hotel....I could easily have missed it had I not had decent directions from this thread.

Had a great burger on Saturday in Amsterdam for 550 Baht equivalent....with thrice cooked chips....way better than any of the anaemic rubbish posing as fries/chips on here.

I love those thrice cooked fries.

I love those thrice cooked fries.

The best burger place for fries is Firehouse in my opinion...their burger is also decent in quality...but the bun is awful...and the staff....well....lol

Well, if you don't mind the drive, the Hilton EDGE serves up some mean cheeseburgers on Wednesdays as it is meat day.....you put on your own fixings and away you go.....best beef I've had in LOS....they must grind their own??

I go for the burger without the bun and after go face down in the dessert buffet....?

how do you eat it when your in that position ?

Well, if you don't mind the drive, the Hilton EDGE serves up some mean cheeseburgers on Wednesdays as it is meat day.....you put on your own fixings and away you go.....best beef I've had in LOS....they must grind their own??

I go for the burger without the bun and after go face down in the dessert buffet....

how do you eat it when your in that position ?

Amazing what some will do for a carb rush.

Well, looks can be deceiving, in both good and bad directions sometimes. I've seen photos of burgers at different places on one of the burger blogs here that looked pretty good from the photo, but when I tried them in person, the taste/ingredients and/or preparation just wasn't there. So I always go by the actual tasting vs. what a photo says...

Also, as far as Outback and Chop were concerned, their burgers did pretty much fill out the width of the bun...not sure what you're seeing in my photos re that. Part of it may have to do with things sliding around on the burger and/or me moving things to get a better visual of the ingredients for the photo. If anything, when I look back at the photos I took of No Idea, Chop and Outback, the No Idea burger appears to be the smallest in width relative to the bun.

BTW, I didn't post on or eat anyone's wagyu burger. That was someone else here.

The best burger place for fries is Firehouse in my opinion...their burger is also decent in quality...but the bun is awful...and the staff....well....lol

Funny you should mention that... When the wife and I went there sometime back, I thought their burgers (meaning the whole dish) were just so-so, and not especially to my liking. But, the service we had from their staff that day, a weekend mid-afternoon when they weren't especially busy, was so bad that we basically decided not to ever come back. Not many places earn that distinction from me based on service alone.