Best Burger in Bangkok 2015......

smokie36

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well as most of you probably know Daniel Thaiger has moved to Sukhumvit Soi 23 outside Craft.

Popped in there tonight and had a cheeseburger...less the sauce and tomato as I knew at 169 Baht I was in for a greasy messy style burger and that is what I got.

post-78923-14367073793624_thumb.jpg

The bun is excellent....the burger itself was chargrilled and oozing with flavour....very nice indeed!

Its a sloppy mess....but a glorious one for 169 Baht.

Would I eat it again?

Absolutely....very nice in the cheap end of the burger world...not the best in Bangkok but well worth a visit.

Smokie, how long/much of a queue/wait did you encounter there, if any?

I almost went there Sunday myself, but my wife was hungry and couldn't wait to eat until their afternoon opening time... sad.png

At 8pm no wait to order....only cooking time.

For you Bangkok guys, Chiang Mai's Beast Burger truck will be in Bangkok next week, 17-19 July, at the Ekkamai Rooftop. I've haven't tried it yet as I generally get my burgers at one place here but I've heard good things about it and people rave about it on TA.

https://www.facebook.com/beast.burger

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293917-d7290687-r281343141-Beast_Burger-Chiang_Mai.html#REVIEWS

Well John thanks for the info.....when I get back next week I'll be trying the burger truck on Soi Rambuttri if I can get over that way...I hear good things.

Smokie, did you get around to trying Pauly Bee's yet?

Not been over that way yet...its a bit of a hike from Petchaburi!

No mention of the Japanese chain.... actually it seems to me the burgers there are sterile.. tasteless..

Compare their standard cheeseburger to a McDonalds cheeseburger. The Mos burger is much better, freshly made

This will be short but not so sweet. While Smokie was enjoying a Daniel Thaiger burger or burgers yesterday, I decided to take a break from what had been a series of 300-400 baht hamburger offerings for what I thought would be a more economical choice, in line with my recent visit to Fatty's Bar & Diner. After all, a decent hamburger even in BKK should not always have to cost more than $10 U.S.

Thus, I headed over to the V8 Diner on Suk Road near the Times Square Building, where I'd had a not bad hamburger and fries for, as best as I can recall, 159 baht back in 2012. Well, nowadays, that regular burger and fries at V8 is priced at 229++ baht, and the cheeseburger set that I've been ordering as the standard choice for burger reviews here was priced at 269++ baht. So, with tax and tip automatically added, their cheeseburger set ends up at about 315 baht net, thus not quite so economical as I had hoped.

post-58284-0-56276900-1436754202_thumb.j

As for their cheeseburger, I won't be going back again for a return visit. The burger itself might have been OK, but the taste of the entire affair was dominated by what appeared to be a slice (or slices - the menu says two) of processed cheese that really tasted like processed cheese, pretty much overpowering everything else. The bun was a standard grocery store variety served dry with a small cup of mayo on the site, some onion and tomato slices, and a lot of cos lettuce, which really doesn't suit me as a good choice to go on burgers.

post-58284-0-55248900-1436755327_thumb.j

post-58284-0-89073100-1436754203_thumb.j

The french fries with the burger were pretty good, a la McDonald's style, thin and a bit crispy. And V8 does have the advantage of being open 24 hours and having a nice and large outdoors covered patio eating area equipped with lots of fans and even a water fountain. Unfortunately, they're also located on a site where the adjoining businesses are being demolished to make way for some kind of big new construction. So, I might give one of their other burgers a try sometime in the future if I'm there already for some reason and they're still open, but their cheeseburger's going to be a definite NO-GO for me.

https://www.facebook.com/MotherTruckerBKK

Hands down this is the best burger in BKK (and better than any burger I have had in Australia).

At the moment they have a truck in Pinklao however checkout their facebook page and have a look where they are setting up. Prior to having this burger I liked the burgers at T24 however they are $500 baht. The Mothertrucker burgers are only about $280 baht and well worth it.

For you Bangkok guys, Chiang Mai's Beast Burger truck will be in Bangkok next week, 17-19 July, at the Ekkamai Rooftop. I've haven't tried it yet as I generally get my burgers at one place here but I've heard good things about it and people rave about it on TA.

https://www.facebook.com/beast.burger

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293917-d7290687-r281343141-Beast_Burger-Chiang_Mai.html#REVIEWS

Beast Burger is very good. Had one last week, trying to trim down but could not take another day of rabbit food. Washed it down with a 500ml Can of Chang followed by an ice cream cone from 7-11.

I used to say Bangkok Burger Co. (Saladaeng and Paragon) is the best, but now that they've removed the bigger beef option, it's not as a good of a deal any longer, it's simply too tiny. However, in terms of taste, it's still pretty damn good.

Carl's Jr would get my vote.

Does anyone know... re Bangkok Burger Co...

When I reviewed them some time back, it was for their Thong Lor Soi 10 location, and I believe they also had a location at Mega Bangna...

But lately when I was looking at the co's website because of the discussion here, there was NO listing of Thong Lor or Bangna at all that I could find...

So does anyone know, do they still have branches at Thong Lor and Bangna...or.... perhaps their website is just horribly out of date???

Does anyone know... re Bangkok Burger Co...

When I reviewed them some time back, it was for their Thong Lor Soi 10 location, and I believe they also had a location at Mega Bangna...

But lately when I was looking at the co's website because of the discussion here, there was NO listing of Thong Lor or Bangna at all that I could find...

So does anyone know, do they still have branches at Thong Lor and Bangna...or.... perhaps their website is just horribly out of date???

TripAdvisor listing for the Thong Lor location lists it as closed.

The company's Facebook page - updated four days ago with a new post - only lists a location in Silom.

TripAdvisor listing for the Thong Lor location lists it as closed.

The company's Facebook page - updated four days ago with a new post - only lists a location in Silom.

thanks for that... Re the Thong Lor branch, when I visited there, I had poor service and a mediocre burger, so perhaps I wasn't the only one.

Kind of makes me wonder if they're doing any better at their other/surviving locations. But I'm not a glutton for culinary punishment who's too anxious to find out....

How about the truck on Soi 38?....is that any good?

Daniel Thaiger truck.. over greasy, the bread used in the bun was not great

Very popular tho which left me scratching my head

Then I tried the DT restaurant at the top of Thonglor, different story, burgers were much better but the staff were so completely UP THEMSELVES I will never go back

Funny....looking at both those burgers John I'm not tempted by either of them...I like the burger to be the same size as the bun for a start...and the wagyu thing doesn't impress me.

Walked past the new place on Soi 22 today....upstairs of the wine place opposite the being refurbished hotel....I could easily have missed it had I not had decent directions from this thread.

Burger there looks better so I will try that sometime soon.

Had a great burger on Saturday in Amsterdam for 550 Baht equivalent....with thrice cooked chips....way better than any of the anaemic rubbish posing as fries/chips on here.

Come on Bangkok....get everything right....not just one or two components!

I love those thrice cooked fries.

The best burger place for fries is Firehouse in my opinion...their burger is also decent in quality...but the bun is awful...and the staff....well....lol

Firehouse .. potentially excellent but staff don't know the word 'service'. Also if its busy they don't want to take a next table free reservation. Thats really bad if you've made the effort to go and then have to search Soi 11 for something else.

After all the hype, I figured I finally needed to get out and try Daniel Thaiger's hamburgers, especially now that his burger truck on wheels has relocated to the CRAFT brewery pop-up outlet on Sukhumvit Soi 23 just before you get to the Taipan Hotel, about a 5-10 minute walk from the nearby BTS Asoke Station.

Tried both his regular Thaiger Burger (the base burger on the menu) for 139 baht and the special of the day Chili Cheese Burger for 229 baht net. Came away feeling OK about the two burgers, nothing wrong, but nothing that made me want to jump up and start shouting these are the best burgers in Bangkok. If they are, then I'd argue that Bangkok has a lot of culinary work to do.

For my taste, the Thaiger Burger is a good burger, especially for 139 baht, and in the economy burgers category, it's clearly better than the standalone Whopper at Burger King that happens to have an identical price. I'd absolutely rate Daniel Thaiger's burgers as a PASS that merit going back for more. But if I had to decide between the Thaiger Burger alone vs. the Fatty's burger and fries set for 170 baht, on the basis of taste and value alone, I'm not sure which way I'd decide. And that comes as a surprise to me, considering all the hype that's swirled around Thaiger burgers.

post-58284-0-82951800-1436876245_thumb.j

In terms of overall impressions, I'm a bit mystified. Before I went today, over quite a period of time, I had been periodically perusing the internet and looking at photos of what looked to be HUGE burgers coming out of the Thaiger shop. And that impression was reinforced today when the Facebook page photo they posted of their Chili Cheese Burger fit that same mold, as follows:

post-58284-0-68747700-1436876981_thumb.j

In contrast, both of the burgers I received today were pretty modest in size, relatively flat and unassuming, and looked nothing like a lot of the burger photos I've seen. Somehow, I managed to leave my smartphone at home this afternoon by mistake, so I don't have any of my own photos today. But this one I found on the internet more resembles the burgers I was served, although my Thaiger Burger had pretty modest portions of both tomato and lettuce by comparison.

post-58284-0-32814200-1436876987_thumb.j

As for taste, I too, similar to another poster above, thought the burger buns at Thaiger are a bit too much on the buttery/oily side, although the flavor and the texture were fine. The beef itself struck me as OK in taste and texture, but nothing remarkable. The two burgers I had both came by default with grilled onions, which ended up being cooked quite soft and almost having their flavor disappear into the burgers. Afterward, I asked the staff and they advised that they'd serve raw onion slices instead upon request, which I'd certainly choose on any return visit. The Thaiger burger also came with their version of a Thousand Island sauce. Overall, my impression was that the burger flavors seemed to all melt together, rather than having distinct, distinguishable flavors in my mouth.

As for the setup on Soi 23, it's obviously better than Thaiger's former home on the street in Suk Soi 38. At CRAFT, the Thaiger burger truck is parked off the street in the patio area of CRAFT, which is partly open-air and partly covered. There are plenty of tables right there to sit and eat burgers only, or eat burgers from Thaiger and order beers from CRAFT. If you don't want any beer, you can still sit and eat burgers at the tables. The CRAFT-Thaiger location makes for interesting people watching just up the soi a ways from the back entrance to Soi Cowboy.

post-58284-0-30308000-1436876995_thumb.j

Thaiger takes cash only. CRAFT will also accept bank cards for payment. Thaiger opens at 5 p.m. on weekdays and 3 p.m. on weekends and continues until they sell out, which usually seems to be between 9 and 10 p.m. It may be different on weekends, but I was there today from about 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. and didn't encounter any line/queue at all, similar to what Smokie reported above.

Thanks for that info John....I prefer the onions raw so I'll get that next time.

I had my burger without the sauce and tomato specifically so I can taste the burger and cheese more clearly.

Try it without the sauce...the burger definitely has a good flavour then.

Well as most of you probably know Daniel Thaiger has moved to Sukhumvit Soi 23 outside Craft.

Popped in there tonight and had a cheeseburger...less the sauce and tomato as I knew at 169 Baht I was in for a greasy messy style burger and that is what I got.

Smokie, now that I've been there.... so you didn't order their regular 139b Thaiger Burger then...

If you paid 169 baht, you ordered their Mr. Steve Burger that comes with the extras of bacon and cheese???

I know you like bacon on your burgers, but I didn't want to order that for my first time, because I wanted the more basic burger for judging the basic burger taste and to keep it comparable with the other places I've been tasting.

Although they do have daily specials, Thaiger's basic menu is pretty limited, so not a lot of choices on offer. Given your order, in retrospect, it's kind of funny because when I went to order, the lady there seemed surprised I didn't want to order their Mr. Steve Burger and instead just the regular Thaiger Burger. Hmmmm....

But either way, for me, the bun's still going to be the same, and the burger's still going to be fried. Ohh... BTW, do they have any french fries on their menu, because I didn't notice or see any???

post-58284-0-71117600-1436931545_thumb.j

Archived