Rear Dash Cam

tonika

I'm thinking off installing a rear window dash cam, and would like to install the same type I have on the windscreen at present. The trouble is the dash cam I have on my front windscreen, plugs into the single cigarette socket. How would I go about connecting the new one, as it too would have a plug for connecting into the cigarette lighter ?.

Blackvue has front and rear cam which uses single power source. Probably your most expensive solution.

Assume it is for a car (rear dashcam in window of a truck would give you a nice view of the truck rather than the road).

Also when placing the rearcam in the window watch out for those rear screen heater lines...

What sort of car is it?

Many SUV's/PPV's have a rear lighter socket in the trunk, and some cars have a secondary lighter socket inside, or at the rear of the center console (for backseat passengers). Failing that, car accessory shops sell lighter socket "power boards" and "extension leads".

Edited by IMHO

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have a Honda City with only 1 cigarette socket, so I'll try and buy the double socket, suggested by Ij cm .

Hi Tonika, I fancy one of those myself.

The seats give you back-ache - be warned. They used to sell hard foam lumbar support as an extra but they seem to have stopped making them. If anyone knows where I can get one my mate has chronic pain.

I bought one of then double socket extentions and when i plug my camera into it the

camera tells me that i have no memory card installed, plug it back into the normal

lighter socket and it works ok...just some thing to be aware of.

Have a Nice Day.

I bought one of then double socket extentions and when i plug my camera into it the

camera tells me that i have no memory card installed, plug it back into the normal

Have a Nice Day.

That sounds very strange. I don't have that problem. Both camera and GPS works perfect.

Get a two way socket. Shops that sell the cam's have them; or you can buy it from Ali Express.

And it also has USB output, so you can recharge your telephone.

I use one of those for the front of the car only. Connected the dash cam and a second USB charger. Works perfect for the power, but he built in USB charges very slowly.

In a Honda City the recess in front of the cup holders is a perfect place to fit one of these

using double sided tape.

I bought one from Lazada online for 150bt.

You have 3 sockets and can also hard wire it in to your fuse box to allow the standard socket

in the City to be still usable.

post-63109-0-58370100-1427967747_thumb.j

Have a Nice Day.

Maybe there is a bad connection in the unit, so it does not give 12V. Open it and check the wires and soldering.

I would be looking at getting the front camera hard wired, this ensures you never forget to plug it in - which is bound to be just the day an incident occurs.

This has been mentioned in other treads but no harm in repeating it.

Do Not cut off the cigar plug and connect to the car electrics.

The cigar plug on the camera reduces the voltage to about 5v so connecting the camera to the cars 12v system without the voltage reduction would not be a good idea.

smile.png

• Like 2