gypsum board benefits

canopy

I have noticed some gypsum walls....in the cheaper townhouses but not in the place of rendering so my guess is to hide wires and or so they can do a piss poor rendering and not worry about cracks when the structure settles.???

I don't think there is any benefit. A properly rendered wall is infinitely better than a gypsum board finish (to whatever level).

Rendering however requires skills and is costly; putting up boards can be done by any Joe.

Edited by Morakot

I don't think there is any benefit. A properly rendered wall is infinitely better than a gypsum board finish (to whatever level).

Rendering however requires skills and is costly; putting up boards can be done by any Joe.

There you go, try to find a Thai renderer who can do a half decent job.

I think the main purpose of the gypsum board is that you can easily fit Styrofoam insulation behind, they even sell it as on piece, and at the same time have a inside wall that looks smooth.

Talking about catching two birds with one stone.

It depends on what you're talking about....

If you mean whole walls made of nothing but gypsum on both sides - that saves cost, saves weight (important for new walls w/out a supporting beam), and saves time.

If you mean cement + block walls veneered with gypsum, that's about achieving a higher quality finish.

Edited by IMHO

I think the main purpose of the gypsum board is that you can easily fit Styrofoam insulation behind, they even sell it as on piece, and at the same time have a inside wall that looks smooth.

Not ideal having the insulation inside.

If you mean cement + block walls veneered with gypsum, that's about achieving a higher quality finish.

A higher quality would be achieved through an added layer of skim plaster over the render.

"gypsum veneer" is not really an established method and the opposite to quality, IMHO. Plus how would one affix the board to a masonry wall?

Edited by Morakot

Can't see how a fully plastered finish could come up better?

Not the best photos, but check out how neat the rendering is done to create a mantel piece.

This was merely done with cement render, without even having a skim plaster top layer.

post-155923-0-58940000-1427795176_thumb.

post-155923-0-66410700-1427795183_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

Not ideal having the insulation inside.

A higher quality would be achieved through an added layer of skim plaster over the render.

"gypsum veneer" is not really an established method and the opposite to quality, IMHO. Plus how would one affix the board to a masonry wall?

Very easily....

Plus how would one affix the board to a masonry wall?

c-line goes on first, gyspum screws onto the c-line. Can't see how a fully plastered finish could come up better?

I agree...no matter how good the plasterer....you can never get the finish of a sheet made in a factory.....Straight and cheaper.

I just done my house with a truss roof system . I have 18 metre beams and have plaster walls with studs .I have insulation between the outer brick wall and the plaster . It is great for the hot weather. You get a very good finish , and painting is alot easier as well as the paint goes on smoother. There are only 2 inside columns in the whole house.The ceilings are 4 metres high . It is the same system they use in Australia .With the plaster board you can make columns (hallway pic) and selves (hallway pic)

post-164407-0-88444800-1427901603_thumb.

post-164407-0-25498700-1427901673_thumb.

post-164407-0-60487100-1427901778_thumb.

post-164407-0-92695700-1427901936_thumb.

Edited by kevvy

I just done my house with a truss roof system . I have 18 metre beams and have plaster walls with studs .I have insulation between the outer brick wall and the plaster . It is great for the hot weather. You get a very good finish , and painting is alot easier as well as the paint goes on smoother. There are only 2 inside columns in the whole house.The ceilings are 4 metres high . It is the same system they use in Australia .With the plaster board you can make columns (hallway pic) and selves (hallway pic)

Kevvy, is that an optical illusion, or are those doorways really small? To me they look like 70cm wide at most.

Anthony

It looks that way , but here are some more pics. The entrance on the left is to the hallway , straight ahead goes straight into the island bench and the right side goes to the family room.This made from plaster board .It still needs some more work , shirting around the bottom.The last pic is when it was first designed.

post-164407-0-54560100-1427957888_thumb.

post-164407-0-98128900-1427957908_thumb.

post-164407-0-79145400-1427957924_thumb.

post-164407-0-55617200-1427957947_thumb.

post-164407-0-06825100-1427958032_thumb.

Hey canopy,

I used gypsum in my condo for noise and heat reduction as I insulated the exterior walls. It was easy running power points and gave the room a overall softer feel then rendered block. I also made a built in wardrobe in a unusable bit of space and just threw in mirrored doors. Nice work there Kevvy, great design you must of had good builders that understood how you wanted your finish.

• 6 months later...