Tips for safe riding in Bangkok over the coming months

Gweiloman

We have been getting unseasonal rain all over Thailand and roads are slippery. Furthermore, Songkran is around the corner and road conditions will be bordering on hazardous in some areas.

Thus, all riders should take extra care in the coming months. This thread is to invite those who ride to share their tips. It would also be useful if you state where you ride so that other riders can determine the difference in traffic conditions.

I live in downtown Bkk which means that I almost never get a clear road. Most of the time, I will be splitting traffic, having to slow down or stop at intersections, continuously watching buses swinging in from the right lane, all sorts of things pulling out from the sois on the left, oncoming food cart in my lane, pedestrians with a death wish, red light runners, cute university girls with short skirts and blouse 2 sizes too small, train track running across main roads etc etc.

To keep safe, on my PCX, I ride with both hands covering both front and rear brakes. I grip the handlebars with just my thumb and the last two (ring and pinkie) fingers and rest my index and middle fingers lightly on the brake levers. Modern bikes have incredible braking power and it's very easy to grab at the brakes with all four fingers in a panic which will almost certainly result in a tumble, especially at the slow speeds in city traffic. Mind you, I am talking here about speeds up to about 50 kmh.

Another safe tip is to always try and get ahead of the traffic at the lights (after making sure that there aren't any red light jumpers) and always try to stay ahead. Don't ride with the flow of traffic - you're on a bike, not in a car. You don't want to mix it up with cars and trucks and buses on busy roads like Asoke and Sukhumvit.

• Like 1

Sounds a bit like scare mongering to me. Dont know why i should "take extra care in the coming months". I will not ride on Songkran and ride like i always do on the other days.

So my tip: Not ride on Songkran. Much too dangerous in the cities.

Another tip: Never drink and ride. Especially on Songkran not.

And a special tip for Gweiloman: Ride a Scooter, they are much safer ;)

• Like 1

I won't be in Bangkok during Songkran, I'll be staying with my wife's family. I plan to leave the CBR parked and covered, I don't need baby powder and god knows what else scratching the shit out of it. If I absolutely need to go somewhere I'll hop on the Wave and take it pretty slow as I'll be on local streets and people will be throwing water etc. Good following distance in case I need to stop suddenly, and be ready to stay straight on even with water being thrown at me... no riding one handed, doing drive-bys with squirt guns for me smile.png

In all probability though I'll be spending most of the holiday in backs of pickup trucks.

• Like 2

Its very dangerous out there.

Over the next few months I recommend wearing only the following;

1. Full face helmet with the visor down.
  2. Good Motor bike gloves.
  3. Crocs
  4. No pants (that includes boxers or Y fronts none)
  5. No shirt
  6. A target on your helmet and back painted in pink.

This will provide the protection needed when navigating the streets of BKK during the next month.

Edited by wow64
  • Like 2

Modern bikes have incredible braking power and it's very easy to grab at the brakes with all four fingers in a panic which will almost certainly result in a tumble, especially at the slow speeds in city traffic. Mind you, I am talking here about speeds up to about 50 kmh

I agree about the brakes being powerful...As for the rest??...This is maybe true in your experience,and for any novice,but any competent,confident rider will not do as you say....

Edited by andreandre

2 fingers on the front brake.

And always make sure you can see the surface ahead of you. If you're riding fairly close behind a car (no choice sometimes), ride just off the rear corner of the car (as opposed to the 'rear middle' of the car) so that...

1) you have an easy escape route down the side if he slams on the brakes unexpectedly.

2) you can see the road surface ahead of you.

3) you can see what's ahead of the car ahead.

Driving the car to Rayong last weekend I was following a pickup and he drove over an old tyre which was in the road - it passed directly under his car between the wheels. It went directly beneath my car as well making no contact, but had I been directly behind that car on my bike (I wouldn't have been) then I would have undoubtedly gone down hard at speed.

PS this is real world advice, if it doesn't comply with UK regulation 102232.32 or whatever then I couldn't give a monkey's...

• Like 2

1. Full face helmet with the visor down.
  2. Good Motor bike gloves.
  3. Crocs
  4. No pants (that includes boxers or Y fronts none)
  5. No shirt
  6. A target on your helmet and back painted in pink.

This will provide the protection needed when navigating the streets of BKK during the next month.

Are you the same bloke, who wears incontinence pants filled with ice cubes? Or rides around with his flies undone and legs up on the handle bars?

If so, do you have a website for this stuff?giggle.gif

• Like 1

Sounds a bit like scare mongering to me. Dont know why i should "take extra care in the coming months". I will not ride on Songkran and ride like i always do on the other days.

And a special tip for Gweiloman: Ride a Scooter, they are much safer wink.png

Lots of people advise not riding during Songkran due to the extra risks during that period. Nevertheless, I took a long distance trip from Bangkok to Nan and back a couple of Songkrans ago. I was fully aware of the risks but figured that as an experienced motorist, I could manage them safely.

Sure enough, I had a great time. I slowed down and even stopped on many occasions as I allowed myself to be drenched (in many instances, it was particularly refreshing even). I kept an eye out for any drivers that seemed erratic in case they were intoxicated. All in all, I had a wonderful insight and experience into how songkran was being celebrated in many different parts of Thailand.

Thanks for your tip by the way but in my opinion, it's much safer on a big bike than a scooter, Songkran or not. When you graduate to riding big bikes, you will understand.

Modern bikes have incredible braking power and it's very easy to grab at the brakes with all four fingers in a panic which will almost certainly result in a tumble, especially at the slow speeds in city traffic. Mind you, I am talking here about speeds up to about 50 kmh

I agree about the brakes being powerful...As for the rest??...This is maybe true in your experience,and for any novice,but any competent,confident rider will not do as you say....

In my experience, I'm glad to report that I've not grabbed my brakes with all four fingers in a panic. But what you have to understand is that not all posters / readers of this forum are as experienced, knowledgeable and skilled as you are. That's why this thread is entitled Tips for safe riding. This thread and forum is for the benefit of all, including new riders, not just experts like us.

Lots of people advise not riding during Songkran due to the extra risks during that period. Nevertheless, I took a long distance trip from Bangkok to Nan and back a couple of Songkrans ago. I was fully aware of the risks but figured that as an experienced motorist, I could manage them safely.

Sure enough, I had a great time. I slowed down and even stopped on many occasions as I allowed myself to be drenched (in many instances, it was particularly refreshing even). I kept an eye out for any drivers that seemed erratic in case they were intoxicated. All in all, I had a wonderful insight and experience into how songkran was being celebrated in many different parts of Thailand.

Thanks for your tip by the way but in my opinion, it's much safer on a big bike than a scooter, Songkran or not. When you graduate to riding big bikes, you will understand.

Btw. i "graduated to riding big bikes" decades ago. You think you get bonus points in this forum for owning big bikes? At the end it only counts what people write, not what people ride.

Regarding Songkran, i rode at Songkran more than once and first it was great fun. And i saw people lying dead on the streets on Songkran and as i dont like this it got less fun. And all this water and powder and Lao Kao got boring quickly. So i will stay at home on Sonkran and do some office work. After Songkran, when Thai people start working again, i will go out riding again. Maybe one afternoon i will join the party in my street, drink some beer at daylight and sit in front of my house with the water hose in my hand while playing loud music. Maybe, maybe not. Not that important for me.

My suggestion: Go out and have fun if you never joined Songkran or you enjoy such parties. But better leave the bike at home. People want you to drink with them and its not friendly to say no in Thailand tongue.png

• Like 1

• Full face helmet with the visor down.
  • Good Motor bike gloves.
  • Crocs
  • No pants (that includes boxers or Y fronts none)
  • No shirt
  • A target on your helmet and back painted in pink.
Are you the same bloke, who wears incontinence pants filled with ice cubes? Or rides around with his flies undone and legs up on the handle bars?

If so, do you have a website for this stuff?giggle.gif

Yeah I am the first bloke with the ice in the pants.. Kinda invented that which I am very proud..You can get some Other cool Songkran ideas at this website: www.meatspin.fr Edited by wow64
  • Like 1

Btw. i "graduated to riding big bikes" decades ago. You think you get bonus points in this forum for owning big bikes? At the end it only counts what people write, not what people ride.

Regarding Songkran, i rode at Songkran more than once and first it was great fun. And i saw people lying dead on the streets on Songkran and as i dont like this it got less fun. And all this water and powder and Lao Kao got boring quickly. So i will stay at home on Sonkran and do some office work. After Songkran, when Thai people start working again, i will go out riding again. Maybe one afternoon i will join the party in my street, drink some beer at daylight and sit in front of my house with the water hose in my hand while playing loud music. Maybe, maybe not. Not that important for me.

My suggestion: Go out and have fun if you never joined Songkran or you enjoy such parties. But better leave the bike at home. People want you to drink with them and its not friendly to say no in Thailand tongue.png

I cannot avoid Songkran and the Songkran parties all around me, living in downtown Bangkok. I enjoy them tremendously, have done so for many years and will mostly likely continue to do so. It has become, like it or not, part of today's Thai culture and since I made the decision to live in Thailand, I believe in taking the bitter with the sweet.

Sometimes the noise and music gets a bit much and therefore, I take my bike out for a spin to get some peace and quiet. Without a shadow of doubt, I will take the big bike rather than the scooter as it is overall, much safer for the many reasons mentioned on the other thread. I have never been forced to drink against my will and it is highly unlikely that that will happen anytime in the future. Could be because that I am able to refuse diplomatically without offending the other party.

But this is going off topic. Songkran celebrations is just one of many hazards facing motorcyclists in the coming months, with the onset of wet weather. I started this thread in the hope that those of us that ride and have experience riding in Thailand would share our observations and experiences with newer riders on this forum. It seems however that the more regular riders have already left the forum and thus not contribute their experiences and tips and the ones. Seems like those who are left are more interested in trolling. Sad.

^

Gweilo, so why did you come back? To attack the members who still like this forum?

I didn't realise that I had left. (DELETED) And whom did I attack? If you were really objective, then it would be obvious to you who's really "attacking".

I started two threads that I felt were of benefit to all riders. Do you disagree? If so, why not just ignore?

I don't know about you but I consider myself a rider. I like riding and I do ride. I go touring, I do track days, I even do some off roading. I also commute. So I ride a scooter around Bangkok for short rides and one of my bigger bikes for longer rides. It seems to me that there are certain posters (not you, by the way) who are rather envious and/or have some unseen axe to grind. I merely ignore them as best as I can.

In any case, like I said earlier, this is rather off topic. This thread was started with good intentions, for the benefit of all riders and I can only hope that the trolls do not come along and force the closure of this thread as they have done on many others in recent weeks. I am hoping that there are still some posters left who cares enough for their fellow riders.

^

Seems like those who are left are more interested in trolling. Sad.

You call all remaining members trolls and then you ask me why i not just ignore that? Great contribution to this forum. Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

^

Seems like those who are left are more interested in trolling. Sad.

You call all remaining members trolls and then you ask me why i not just ignore that? Great contribution to this forum. Thanks a lot.

My bad. I meant to say some of those who are left, not ALL remaining members.

Posts Removed and Edited for Troll / Flaming.

If you want to ask present or past posters their reasons for staying or leaving this forum, the PM function is the appropriate venue.

Why people post or do not post, or why they no longer post, has no place on the public forum, as inevitably questions will be raised which are against forum rules.

Please keep the Forum Rules in mind when posting on Thai Visa.

Thank you

papa's tips for safer Songkran:

1. Install VERY LOUD horn.

2. Ride your loudest motorcycle.

3. Fullface helmet.

4. When they step into the road to get you,

pull in clutch and coast directly toward them revving the shit out of the engine and laying on the horn.

thumbsup.gif

Very fun way to play Songkran!

clap2.gif

When possible... leave the bike at home..

Join in the fun if it pleases you...

Teach the water throwers not to hit the bikes..

Not possible and must ride.

Expect to get wet..

Eyes alert..

Plan your rides, go early, and avoid the routes with heavy water activities..

Remember it is their THANG..

For me, I stay in... years ago in a tuk tuk, did not see the water coming with ice cube, broke my glasses had a nice red mark on my face for a day...and a headache.. should have worn my helmet in the tuk tuk...

stay safe everyone...

Edited by Rhys

When possible... leave the bike at home..

Join in the fun if it pleases you...

Teach the water throwers not to hit the bikes..

Not possible and must ride.

Expect to get wet..

Eyes alert..

Plan your rides, go early, and avoid the routes with heavy water activities..

Remember it is their THANG..

For me, I stay in... years ago in a tuk tuk, did not see the water coming with ice cube, broke my glasses had a nice red mark on my face for a day...and a headache.. should have worn my helmet in the tuk tuk...

stay safe everyone...

In my experience you get much less water if you wear rain gear on Sonkran. Most of the water throwers realize that you dont want to be part of the game and accept it. But there are always some drunk idiots who... so be careful on your bikes and go slow.

• Like 1