Ethiopian maid accuses WHO official in Thailand of slavery

Lite Beer

There are Ethiopian maids working in Thailand? How could she even get a work permit? I thought maid work was only for Thais, Burmese, Lao, Cambodians and maybe Vietnamese, but not for Europeans, Africans etc.

You don't get a work permit to be a slave.

There are Ethiopian maids working in Thailand? How could she even get a work permit? I thought maid work was only for Thais, Burmese, Lao, Cambodians and maybe Vietnamese, but not for Europeans, Africans etc.

work permit is for people that get paid, slave permits have different regulations perhaps?

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be nice if the workpermit/visa police here could give it a break just for a day??

This case is about a young woman who (allegedly) have been abused, not about her visa status!!

I think the pertinent point of the work permit issue here is:

Since the alleged Ethiopian victim here apparently wouldn't be legally allowed to work as a maid in Thailand, it would seem the Eithiopian couple/WHO official probably ALSO broke the law by bringing a foreigner into Thailand to work in a non-permitted job and presumably without a Thai work permit -- even if they had treated her decently and paid a regular salary.

The Thai police could add that onto the other potential criminal charges -- assuming the WHO offficial/couple involved don't have diplomatic immunity.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be nice if the workpermit/visa police here could give it a break just for a day??

This case is about a young woman who (allegedly) have been abused, not about her visa status!!

I think the pertinent point of the work permit issue here is:

Since the alleged Ethiopian victim here apparently wouldn't be legally allowed to work as a maid in Thailand, it would seem the Eithiopian couple/WHO official probably ALSO broke the law by bringing a foreigner into Thailand to work in a non-permitted job and presumably without a Thai work permit -- even if they had treated her decently and paid a regular salary.

The Thai police could add that onto the other potential criminal charges -- assuming the WHO offficial/couple involved don't have diplomatic immunity.

Uhm according the second OP the Lawyers are actually going to pursue a "Human Trafficking" charge...

>>According to the worker, she was often beaten up by the couple in front of their children. She was not allowed to leave the house compound and was not allowed to enter the house. She said her efforts to get the couple to return her passport were in vain.

On March 8, she alleged that she was hit for unknown reasons and kicked out of the house.<<Quote

How can you get kicked out of a house, you are not allowed to enter??coffee1.gif

It looks like high ranking WHO officials typically do receive diplomatic immunity.

I'm reading a Philippine Supreme Court case that addresses that exact issue, and found as follows:

It is undisputed in the record that petitioner Dr. Leonce Verstuyft, who was assigned on December 6, 1971 by the WHO from his last station in Taipei to the Regional Office in Manila as Acting Assistant Director of Health Services, is entitled to diplomatic immunity, pursuant to the Host Agreement executed on July 22, 1951 between the Philippine Government and the World Health Organization.

Such diplomatic immunity carries with it, among other diplomatic privileges and immunities, personal inviolability, inviolability of the official's properties, exemption from local jurisdiction, and exemption from taxation and customs duties.

http://www.lawphil.net/judjuris/juri1972/nov1972/gr_l_35131_1972.html

From some quick reading on the subject, it seems the higher ranking officials typically are extended complete immunity. While the middle ranking officials typically receive what's called functional immunity, meaning immunity relating to any activities that occurred in connection with their official duties, which presumably wouldn't apply in this situation.

Remains to be seen where the couple in this case fit into that framework.

Meanwhile, if the WHO were smart, they'd probably quickly transfer this guy and his wife to some new post in another country. The WHO these days still has its hands more than full dealing with the Ebola crisis... Perhaps his services could be best used someplace in the thick of the Ebola outbreak.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

As someone posted previously the status of this poor persons work permit is the least of the issues here, she has been physically and (it would appear to me) mentally abused, she has not been paid for her services nor has she been properly cared for.

A few people are perhaps justifiably concerned about the accused being found guilty by media before any trial (if required) It's perhaps fair for those concerned poster's to consider one or two points.

The maids case was taken up by an NGO after they had reviewed the facts, when passed to the Law Society they have instigated a review to confirm her case and support her.

I would respectfully suggest that those two points are more than enough for any reasonable person to form a damning opinion on this maid's employers, I for one see this as a terrible example of exploitation at it's worst (trial or not)

The few concerned people who want to ensure justice is done can wait for the legal process to finish, to me they are both as guilty as sin and deserve whatever they get...

• Like 1

Maybe the bosses are Ethiopian.

The blacks have always sold other blacks into slavery.

But this is Thailand.

I don't see much justice for this woman considering how she was working in a profession foreigners aren't allowed to work in (except for Lao, Burmese, Cambodians and maybe Vietnamese). She'll probably be charged with working illegally in a restricted profession without a work permit and deported.

Unfortunately you are right - The maid dont have any Brown envelopes and WHO will do anything to cover this up and if you want something covered up then this is the place to do it ...

• Like 1

Unfortunately they're both related and pertinent to the case JOC, with a work permit and visa people would have known who she was and where she was and she could have reported this earlier.

Domestic abuse to a person not in the system is all too common these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if this couple constantly jabbers about Thainess and high moral standards at dinner parties of the HiSo circles. They should be sentenced to pay the maid tenfold and do 12 hrs community work a day in a home for disabled for two years to pay back for their shameful behavior.

Edited by Lupatria

Except for maybe an ambassador diplomatic immunity doesn't sheild anyway from criminal acts. It means that they must be allowed to do their jobs without interference from country governments. Certainly no one at WHO has a get out of jail free card.

What I find ironic is that her allegations warrant spontaneous cries for justice which if they're true shouid happen, but when there's an allegation of torture by the authorities it's all lies and damn lies!!

All allegations shouid be investigated until proven true or false, not summirally dismissed out of hand.

There's a few discrepancies in this woman's stories but I'm willing to give here the benefit of the doubt, and hope that justice prevails, however of these abusers are of an Africsn decent and have diplomatic immunity they will walk and just leave the Kingdom with a do not return stamp.

It makes you wonder how many other officials in Thailand are doing the same.

Of the NGO's probably very few.

The people I know with domestic help Thai/Burmese all treat them very well.

Pay them a decent salary, regulated working hours and often a little present/bonus.

The b*****rds in the OP are hopefully an exception!!

This happens everywhere, even in Singapore where many of the Filipino maids are better educated than their employers.

• Like 1

Except for maybe an ambassador diplomatic immunity doesn't sheild anyway from criminal acts. It means that they must be allowed to do their jobs without interference from country governments. Certainly no one at WHO has a get out of jail free card.

No... that's simply not true. The concept of full diplomatic immunity, including from criminal prosecution, is not reserved only for people at the ambassador level. It is reserved, though, for officials at the upper levels of bureaucracy.

• Like 1

I have been looking for the neo liberal (uber conservative) take on this. At least she had a job and food. She was paid what the market would bear. Had she done a brilliant job, I am sure people would have heard about it. Then she could have been swamped with offers paying B3300 or more per month.

Edited by Cats4ever
  • Like 1

VERY INTERESTING !

The WHO Representatve in Thailand is Ethiopian, a Dr Yonas Tegegn.

He is the only personnel listed on their local website.

Interestingly, his previous assignment was in North Korea. As we well know, a country which uses institutional slavery.

This is probably why the police are slow to take action.

If General Prayut has any balls, he should use his special powers, and make an example of the accused.

There have been a number of similar cases in London, all Third World diplomats.

• Like 2

NGO bigshots are some of the worst scum in SE Asia.

Sadly, I must agree with you. I have met representatives from several high profiled NGOs all around in this region, and a good number of them strike me as first and foremost interested in (or exploiting) their own privileged lifestyle than actually working to make a change in the country where they are deployed and hiding themselves behind diplomatic passports and their compounds.

Of course there are also honest people who try to put the mission before themselves - but most of those, I have met, tend to be locally hired staff who do not receive the benefits that the international staff does.

"They (the official and his wife) have been accused of human trafficking, tricking her to work, failing to pay her and abuse," Police Colonel Mana Tienmaungpak, head of investigations at Pakkred police station in Nonthaburi, told AFP.

And despite chose charges, they only have "invited" the couple to the police station next week!!

Arrest them, and let them taste a little of their own medicine!!

Another typical TV knee-jerk. Are you saying that anyone accused of a crime should be arrested without investigation?

Slavery and human trafficking is a terrible crime and should be punished to the maximum... which I (sadly) acknowledge does not happen enough here.

However, if we automatically presume someone guilty without trial we should go back to the middle ages where alleged witches were subject to "dunking" (the original version of water-boarding) to prove their innocence!

The "accused" can prove their innocence in court, at the time the Police need to prove their guilt. Isn't that the function of a court? So go ahead and arrest them!

But, then again, does the WHO official have diplomatic immunity? If he suddenly leaves the country a good guess would suggest he was guilty. Otherwise he could stay and prove his innocence. coffee1.gif

Oooops, one more choice - he could be transferred to an "inactive" post? Sorry, could not help that one, just my lateral sense of humour.

Edited by lvr181

I expect she is working for an Ethiopian or African WHO official.

In many parts of Africa the hierarchical society and use and expectation of maids as low class, worthless beings is even more prevalent than areas of south east Asia.

I expect she is working for an Ethiopian or African WHO official.

Thaivisa Sherlock!!

The second OP states:Law Society lawyer Surapong Kongchantuk said that the worker, 24, said she was employed by an Ethiopian couple

Only read the first one. That figures. Nothing like being shafted by your own nationals. In any country, new residents are more at risk from their own countrymen that locals. Happens everywhere.

The maid has accused the High Level WHO guy of torture, slavery etc.

We leap to the conclusion that the High Level Guy is wrong and the maid is in the right.

This same thing happen to the French guy a few years ago in NYC when a maid/hooker accused him, ruined his chance at a run for president.

Subsequently it was found she lied hoping to get money.

If the High Level Guy accused the maid of misbehavior, poor performance, and generally inferior work we would likely blame the High Level Guy of being stupid, but not blame the Maid for her performance, or even support the maid for her best efforts.

What has happened to our opinions of successful people, we leap at the first opportunity to destroy them for any and all reasons.

Yet we support those who have demonstrated totally shit behavior and criminal activity because dad was a bad guy...

We have lost our way...

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if this couple constantly jabbers about Thainess and high moral standards at dinner parties of the HiSo circles. They should be sentenced to pay the maid tenfold and do 12 hrs community work a day in a home for disabled for two years to pay back for their shameful behavior.

You've lost me here. Why would this couple constantly jabber about Thainess? Because they are senior UN officials? Or because they are in Thailand? If the latter, can we assume that all foreign nationals resident in Thailand constantly jabber about Thainess? I don't think I do!

Don't be a prat. He/She asks a perfectly relevant question in the context of the case.

If this young woman has been abused, her visa status will be required. Employers of maids have a duty to ensure correct visas, extensions, reporting her address and 90 day reporting. If this has not been done correctly, this should be another charge against the employer.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

You've lost me here. Why would this couple constantly jabber about Thainess? Because they are senior UN officials? Or because they are in Thailand? If the latter, can we assume that all foreign nationals resident in Thailand constantly jabber about Thainess? I don't think I do!

Why would this couple constantly jabber about Thainess?

Sorry to bother you with my personal experience with so called Hi-So folks in Thailand constantly talking about Thainess and high moral standards. Do you need names?

Edited by Lupatria

Why would this couple constantly jabber about Thainess?

Sorry to bother you with my personal experience with so called Hi-So folks in Thailand constantly talking about Thainess and high moral standards. Do you need names?

Your personal experience with Hi-Sos of all nationalities? I'm impressed by the breadth of your experience.