Austria firm eyes new opportunities in Thailand

webfact

Austria firm eyes new opportunities here
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION

30257206-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- AUSTRIA-BASED Doppelmayr Cable Car is seeking new business opportunities in Thailand for its automated people movers (APMs) and cable cars, as the country expands its investment in the transportation sector and the tourism industry grows.

"We are currently [actively] following five projects in Thailand, one of them being an APM project at Suvarnabhumi Airport and the other four cable-car projects at sites in Bangkok and the provinces," chief executive officer Markus Schrentewein said yesterday.

For APMs, the group is targeting Thailand as its first market in Southeast Asia, and hopes to win a concession for APM lines and maintenance works at Suvarnabhumi Airport, which is owned and operated by Airports of Thailand (AOT).

The group began talks with AOT about this urban transportation system for the country's main airport before the military coup last year, but progress on the plan was halted due to the change of government, he said.

However, Doppelmayr Cable Car recently met with the transport minister and plans to return for further discussions with AOT in the coming weeks to follow up on the proposed project, he added.

Schrentewein said the company's cable-propelled APM system would enable the authorities to reduce the immediate investment cost by up to Bt1 billion.

The initial plan announced by AOT entailed an investment cost of Bt2.89 billion.

He said the lower cost was down to a number of key strengths in Doppelmayr's APM cable-based system.

It requires no form of on-board engine, the lines and train are lightweight, maintenance costs are relatively low, it uses less energy, and it entails reduced operating costs compared with other systems, he explained.

At least two direct competitors offering a cable-propelled system and at least three operators offering a self-propelled system are expected to be in the race for the AOT concession.

"We are ready to bid for the APM project in Thailand at the lowest possible investment cost," he said.

Suvarnabhumi Airport's second-phase expansion plan is set to increase passenger capacity from 45 million to 60 million travellers per year.

Aside from the Bangkok project, the group is interested in bidding for similar investment projects at Chiang Mai Airport, Khon Kaen Airport and Phuket Airport, where such facilities are needed to serve the growing number of tourists.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Austria-firm-eyes-new-opportunities-here-30257206.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-02

Good, start with the duty free zone on the departure level after you exit passport control at Suvarnabhumi. I hate walking through all those overpriced branded retail outlets.

Huh are they overpriced? They should be cheap and taxfree.

I 've never been into one of those shops because they still remind me to that couple who was accused of stealing (which wasn't true) and they missed their flight.

But good to see that the Aussies can come here to build something new. I trust them more then the chinese for safety.

Good, start with the duty free zone on the departure level after you exit passport control at Suvarnabhumi. I hate walking through all those overpriced branded retail outlets.

I 've never been into one of those shops because they still remind me to that couple who was accused of stealing (which wasn't true) and they missed their flight.

But good to see that the Aussies can come here to build something new. I trust them more then the chinese for safety.

Think you'll find there's a difference between Aussies and Austrians.

I don't hate. I just keep on walking.

a cable car in thailand ? or the airport ???

who's got money to burn ?

and in related news, Austrian manufacturers of competition skis are expecting to flood the Thai market following the huge international success of that famous Thai, Vanessa Mae, in the winter Olympics recently.

Carryboy has already designed a special ski-rack designed especially for the alpine downhill sport which will take off in a huge way as soon as the first ski-lifts are completed in Khao Yai.

The Minister for Sport and Culture has announced he expects the 2020 Winter Olympics to be held in Thailand., probably Krabi.

Think you'll find there's a difference between Aussies and Austrians.

Yes and it might help if they used the correct term for those country folk.

Next we'll see them using 'Thailanders'

I don't hate. I just keep on walking.

Not so much that the shops are the problem ( although I wouldn't dream of buying any of the retail price PLUS crap they flog) as the nuisance people who insist in congregating in the corridor between them, making passage difficult. Were I not good-natured I'd be tempted to lash out at them with my stick.

Probably a pure coincidence, the very same day article 44 is invoked, an Austrian company enters the stage??

Please, JOC, don't overstress yourself with such brilliant thinking.

Started worrying about you.

True, all those negative waves.

Which reminds me, what happened with a previous deal an Austrian company had with a Thai government. The 'fire truck' issue.

The problem with companies like this one when it comes to bidding on government contracts is the requirement that they can demonstrate familiarity with Thailand laws and regulations. In other words, they have to have previous business dealings in the country to be qualified.

This policy has locked out successful foreign companies and starup domestic companies. Thai governments seem more comfortable dealing with existing Thai companies than new competitors, even when they have a global track record. This may become a barrier with the ASEAN Community companies that will try to enter the Thai business sector at the start of 2016.

Edited by Srikcir

Probably a pure coincidence, the very same day article 44 is invoked, an Austrian company enters the stage??

Please, JOC, don't overstress yourself with such brilliant thinking.

Started worrying about you.

True, all those negative waves.

Which reminds me, what happened with a previous deal an Austrian company had with a Thai government. The 'fire truck' issue.

Still waiting for the "final solution"...................................coffee1.gif

(sorry, couldn't resist)

• Like 1