Minor criminal conviction traveling to Thailand issue?

I have been travelling to the land of LOS for the past 5 years on a regular basis and love the place . Hoping one day to retire there!! Recently I been had a minor conviction , therefore criminal record .

Called thai consulate in London today to ask if ok to visit LOS for 2 weeks and they stated I need to call Thai immigration in Thailand to find out incase something pops up on the screen through passport control when I get there?? Strange I thought!!

Am looking to go to LOS for 2 weeks soon but worried that my conviction may cause an issue at immigration ..

Hear stories about UK passports using the biometric IPS system when scanned my conviction will pop up on screen at Thai immigration .. Not sure this is true though.

Just wanted to know if my conviction will be an issue entering LOS..

I did not go prison , just a fine . That's if .

Don't want to go all the way and get turned back .

Can the immigration at Bkk find out of my past criminal conviction? Therefore refusing entry? I know the landing card does not ask for past convictions . Just worried my passport might show up my conviction when going through immigration .

Thanks guys

If you have had done something very serious, you would have been jailed and/or even your passport taken away. Have a safe trip and just reflect on your past as what you have learned from your experience so you don't catch yourself doing it again.

• Like 1

I have a old criminal conviction dating back to 1999 which resulted in more than a fine if you know what I mean biggrin.png

I had no problem entering on the 20 or so times I came here on Holiday or the past 9 years I have lived here

You have nothing to worry about OP but I do wonder why after 5 years of visiting you suddenly found the need to call the Thai Consulate to ask about your conviction?

Thanks guys for the advice

Darrensd: On the point of calling the Thai consulate , I was very surprised they said I need to call Thai immi office because when I enter something may pop up on their screen . I think she did not know what she was talking about . The conviction is only recent (6 months) ago, prior to that I been travelling to LOS for 5 years so this will be the first time after my conviction .

what threw me was that when she said something may pop up on the screen when scanning my passport. Lol .. Which I did find very surprising for her to say that .

Once again thanks for all your advice. Can't wait to return back to LOS and hopefully one day retire and move their on a permanent basis .

• Like 1

The only problem is if you are applying for the long stay O-A visa in the UK - you have to provide a police check.

Am not sure if the criminal record is not too serious that will effect the application.

The Thai authorities have no access to British records at immigration, so really do not worry.

Think about it, do you really think all those dodgy geezers propping up bar stools are whiter than white ?

• Like 2

As regards your intention to retire in Thailand, if you apply for the retirement visa whilst in Thailand you will not be asked for a criminal records check as far as I have seen written by Ubonjoe and others on this forum.

Also as GB has a rehabilitation act relating to offenses you might find if your planned retirement is 10 years away or more that the offense will be written off and not appear on the record check. This would depend on the severity of the offense and the time it take to be deleted, the relative information can be found at https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

I'll move this to the Thai visa forum.

But in answer to your question I doubt very much if Thai Immigration could access your police record, the UK Immigration cannot so it's pretty unlikely that the Thais would be able to.

You will certainly be safe for a regular visit as a tourist.

And even if they did they would only be checking to see if you were as slick as they are.

As regards your intention to retire in Thailand, if you apply for the retirement visa whilst in Thailand you will not be asked for a criminal records check as far as I have seen written by Ubonjoe and others on this forum.

Also as GB has a rehabilitation act relating to offenses you might find if your planned retirement is 10 years away or more that the offense will be written off and not appear on the record check. This would depend on the severity of the offense and the time it take to be deleted, the relative information can be found at https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

Think you are incorrect there- all convictions, cautions etc will appear in a police check- they never go away.

Yes in the UK , you don't have to reveal convictions after a certain length of time for job applications etc ; but for example if you are working with children and need a check- they will appear.

The OP needs to avoid the O-A and go for O non immigrant. This is a bit more tricky as I don't think the UK any longer gives out the ' O ' for retirement purposes.

I may be wrong ?

Also am not sure what would constitute a barrier to receiving the visa?

Edited by peterb17

Hope this assists OP - received my initial OA Retirement Visa from Consulate in Oz. An essential, basic, requirement was a national police check which is quite detailed. Touch embarrassed I was as I had a page of 'issues'. Said Thai Consul was understanding and said 'we ain't all perfect' - depends on the offence(s). Visa obtained and I've had continuing extensions ever since. Use CDF, unless you're in the sights of your own country for a significant indiscretion, or, more widely INTERPOL, relax, enjoy, be nice in this LOS..........

• Like 1

Think you are incorrect there- all convictions, cautions etc will appear in a police check- they never go away.

Yes in the UK , you don't have to reveal convictions after a certain length of time for job applications etc ; but for example if you are working with children and need a check- they will appear.

The OP needs to avoid the O-A and go for O non immigrant. This is a bit more tricky as I don't think the UK any longer gives out the ' O ' for retirement purposes.

I may be wrong ?

Also am not sure what would constitute a barrier to receiving the visa?

Not true the UK uses the step down model when creating police record certificates and any record classed under this as rehabilitated will not appear

quote from the acpo

What will show up on my Police Certificate?
All convictions, warnings, reprimands and cautions recorded on UK Police Systems. When preparing the Police Certificate, we apply the principles of the ACPO Retention Guidelines for Nominal Records on the Police National Computer, which incorporates the Step Down Model. Please note that Scottish convictions are not subject to the Step Down Model.
AS regards working with children a different system is in place for this not the standard police certificate

The only problem is if you are applying for the long stay O-A visa in the UK - you have to provide a police check.

Am not sure if the criminal record is not too serious that will effect the application.

The Thai authorities have no access to British records at immigration, so really do not worry.

Think about it, do you really think all those dodgy geezers propping up bar stools are whiter than white ?

I obtained my O-A retirement visa twelve years ago, at the time it was a requirement that I obtain a police report from (Thames Valley) police beforehand. What the rules are today I don't know but I suspect they are not too different from back then..

So yes, those alleged "dodgy geezers" probably are pretty white, is my guess, the villages around Maidstone is another subject!

Thanks for the in depth advice guys.

As previously said my main concern was me turning up at Bkk airport and when going through immigration all of a sudden my conviction pops up upon the passport scan this causing am issue. But I take it this is total garbage .. Lol

Thanks again

Don't know how long it will be before all Countries know of convictions. Between US and Canada both Immigration systems have access to each other citizens offence records and if you have a Felony conviction e.g. Drug related or DUI, you can be refused entry for a long time.

Sir, There is 100% way around this. If you reply private, I'll send you the document that you may not need but would have if you did.

It is simple and no brain er.

Chok Di and Sabai.

I'll be away from this machine until later today or tomorrow. It isn't a problem for you.

Don't know how long it will be before all Countries know of convictions. Between US and Canada both Immigration systems have access to each other citizens offence records and if you have a Felony conviction e.g. Drug related or DUI, you can be refused entry for a long time.

So a stock DUI in the US is a felony conviction ? :blink: think you got that one wrong

So a stock DUI in the US is a felony conviction ? blink.png think you got that one wrong

I stand partially corrected, to enter the US from Canada it requires several DUI's (numbers not given), To enter Canada from US it requires only one DUI, see this link https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/402/~/entering-the-u.s.-and-canada-with-dui-offenses

The point I was trying to make is that the Worlds computers are being connected, and who knows when you enter a country what the Immigration Officer will see when he/she reads your electronic passport, and personal details from other Countries.

I'll move this to the Thai visa forum.

But in answer to your question I doubt very much if Thai Immigration could access your police record, the UK Immigration cannot so it's pretty unlikely that the Thais would be able to.

You will certainly be safe for a regular visit as a tourist.

The only thing scanning his passport will be bring up on any screen is your personal details IE: what is already printed on your bio page. As far as accessing criminal records go that is a very in depth process and would leave you standing there for hours if not days.

Quote>(Hear stories about UK passports using the biometric IPS system when scanned my conviction will pop up on screen at Thai immigration .. Not sure this is true though).<unquote

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the advice

Darrensd: On the point of calling the Thai consulate , I was very surprised they said I need to call Thai immi office because when I enter something may pop up on their screen . I think she did not know what she was talking about . The conviction is only recent (6 months) ago, prior to that I been travelling to LOS for 5 years so this will be the first time after my conviction .

what threw me was that when she said something may pop up on the screen when scanning my passport. Lol .. Which I did find very surprising for her to say that .

Once again thanks for all your advice. Can't wait to return back to LOS and hopefully one day retire and move their on a permanent basis .

"Darrensd: On the point of calling the Thai consulate , I was very surprised they said I need to call Thai immi office because when I enter something may pop up on their screen ."

She was being cautious. It is not the embassy but Immigrations who makes the final decision as to whether or not someone can enter Thailand. Although you mentioned a minor conviction, for all she knew you might have greater issues or be on some list of criminals being sought via Interpol. She's not likely to announce that Thailand welcomes people with criminal records with open arms and someone wanted by the police probably wouldn't mention that when calling the embassy.

Basically she was saying the decision to admit you or not admit you was up to immigrations and not for her to make a call about. Different ministries for embassies and for immigrations.

As everyone has said above, unless there's been some international notification that you are on the run from the police somewhere, you shouldn't have a problem, but the only person who can say that with absolute certainty is the Immigrations officer to whom you hand your passport at the airport, not the embassy or Thai Visa readers.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

This topic is related to an issue I'm wrestling with myself.

I'm an American able to meet the requirements for retirement in Thailand. In preparation to apply for a "long stay O-A" visa I mailed my fingerprints off several months ago for an FBI criminal check. Well, the results arrived yesterday and to my shock a pot arrest in 1979 showed up! The charge on the report is "narcotic drug offense" and even though the case was dismissed and this is reflected on the FBI report I'm worried about showing this to Thai Immigration officials. My concern is that my "long stay O-A" visa will be denied but more than that I'm also worried that this may become part of my permanent record barring me from visiting Thailand. Are these valid concerns? Will the Immigration officials note the distinction between an arrest and a conviction? Should I just abandon the idea of getting a long stay visa?

I plan to travel using Bangkok as a base but would prefer to choose my dates instead of being tied to the "every 90 day" border runs. I'm ticketed to depart the US on May 19.

Thank you in advance for any help/guidance you may provide.

Scott

This topic is related to an issue I'm wrestling with myself.

I'm an American able to meet the requirements for retirement in Thailand. In preparation to apply for a "long stay O-A" visa I mailed my fingerprints off several months ago for an FBI criminal check. Well, the results arrived yesterday and to my shock a pot arrest in 1979 showed up! The charge on the report is "narcotic drug offense" and even though the case was dismissed and this is reflected on the FBI report I'm worried about showing this to Thai Immigration officials. My concern is that my "long stay O-A" visa will be denied but more than that I'm also worried that this may become part of my permanent record barring me from visiting Thailand. Are these valid concerns? Will the Immigration officials note the distinction between an arrest and a conviction? Should I just abandon the idea of getting a long stay visa?

I plan to travel using Bangkok as a base but would prefer to choose my dates instead of being tied to the "every 90 day" border runs. I'm ticketed to depart the US on May 19.

Thank you in advance for any help/guidance you may provide.

Scott

Getting a FBI check is a bit of overkill for getting a OA visa. You could of gotten one from the local authorities quicker and easier.

If it shows it as dismissed it will not be a problem.

The application and the FBI check will go no further than the office where you apply for the OA visa. It will not be a problem later.

Just be mindful that immigration officers have at discretion the right to refuse. If they know u have a conviction they can refuse u (not saying they will). To avoid scrutiny just behave like a good little boy and don't piss them off for any reason. You'll be fine.