Yellow house book. Whats that for

has anybody used it for proof of address at Trendy for British Passport renewal ?

Yes I have. When my wife and I went for my GB passport ar Trendy I had to have the yellow book translated downstairs into English as proof of where I was staying in LoS.

I still don't know why as what has where I live got to do with getting a new passport but as usual I just shut up and go with the flow.

• Like 1

Thai Civil Registration Act (No.2) B.E. 2551

Given on the 15th day of February, B.E. 2551 (2008),

Being the 63th Year of the Present Reign

His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej has been graciously pleased to proclaim that:

Whereas it is expedient to revise the law on civil registration,

This Act consists of some provisions limiting personal rights and freedom in conformity with Section 29 with Section 34, 35 and 56 of the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand.

Be it, therefore, enacted by the King, by and with the advice and consent of the Constituent Assembly in the capacity of the National Assembly, as follows.

Section 21. Section 38 of the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534 shall be repealed and replaced by the following:

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons.
The Director of Central Registration shall make profile registration for persons without Thai nationality besides those under paragraph one in accordance with the declaration of the Cabinet.

chrisinth, on 04 Apr 2015 - 12:02, said:

As i understand it, the yellow book was introduced for Thais (not falangs) that were working out of Provence as a means of proof of their temporary address. This saved them the hassle of being added to the blue book of the address they were temporarily staying.

It works the same for foreigners in the respect that it is a temporary addition to the relevant blue book for the address they are staying at.

Your first sentence is probably true Chris. The Act was amended in 2008 to allow all foreigners with temporary permission to stay in Thailand to register their address and obtain a Yellow Tabian Ban.

Your second sentence is correct. The Yellow book is also recorded on the Blue book of the principal Thai resident.

• Like 1

Pattaya46, on 04 Apr 2015 - 13:47, said:
Faz" data-cid="9267832" data-time="1428114399" data-date="Today, 09:26 said:

If your going to stay in Thailand it's worth considering the effort to get your own proof of address as it can save so much time, effort and cost in the long run

Hi. In my case it costed me a lot of time and 3 visits to try and don't manage to get it at Pattaya. The employee 3rd time admited I would not get one because not married to a Thai... It was in 2008, and I since heard of single guys who managed to get one though... Maybe I could try again?

But after 8 year living here, I would have need it only once: to buy my bike. A letter from immigration was OK. So I can't say the Yellow Book would be useful for me.

The Act was amended in 2008, so you either applied before the change or your Amphur were not aware of the change.

Doesn't matter if your single or married, as long as you have or had a Visa. (Visa exempt stamps do not qualify)

Your second sentence is correct. The Yellow book is also recorded on the Blue book of the principal Thai resident.

And exactly how does that record show up.? There is no record of me in my wife's book.

There is no need. Both books have the same number and belong to the same house.

Chris is probably right in what he says that blue books are for permanent residents and yellow books for temporary residents of a particular property.

I use mine when renewing/extending my Supporting Thai Wife visa.

When I did my extension the IO asked if I had one, when I said yes she then asked to see it, she then wanted a copy and attached it to the documents.

Obviously it is not a requirement, but it does make you wonder why they ask.

With the yellow book you can get on to the 30 baht health system......all my visits to hospital and tablets the only charge I receive is 30 bht.....I have had x-rays numerous blood test, tablets every month and the charge is 30 baht...doesn't cover any dentist work....

I am sure that the yellow book do not mean free health care. I think your hospital might not know the rules - so good for you - but I would like to see some official documentation on that ? cheers!

sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 15:11, said:
Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:52, said:

And exactly how does that record show up.? There is no record of me in my wife's book.

Chris is probably right in what he says that blue books are for permanent residents and yellow books for temporary residents of a particular property.

Sandy you and your wife are probably joint owners living at the same address hence your house registration number is the same.

Both books will still be registered at the local Amphur.

Many foreigners don't own their own homes.

If you live in the wife's home, or are fortunate and lucky enough to still be single and rent, then the Yellow Book has a different registration number to the Blue book owner, and the blue book number is recorded in the yellow book. Similarly the Yellow book registration is recorded at the Amphur under the Blue Book.

That's why the landlord/ or owner of the blue book has to attend and sign the application form.

I use mine when renewing/extending my Supporting Thai Wife visa.

When I did my extension the IO asked if I had one, when I said yes she then asked to see it, she then wanted a copy and attached it to the documents.

Obviously it is not a requirement, but it does make you wonder why they ask.

They can ask for anything. I am from Wichien Buri, and last week at Immigration for my extension the Officer said "where's my chicken?"

Ghostnigel, on 04 Apr 2015 - 11:25, said:
janpharma" data-cid="9267600" data-time="1428110502" data-date="Today, 08:21 said:

The yellow book simplifies life...you can buy a car in your own name...it also counts for proof of address...it's easy to get through some administration processes.wai2.gif

My car is in my name, and I haven't got a yellow book, no need

Do you tax and Insure your car every year Nigel?

Who's name is your electric bill in?

Who's name is your internet bill in?

Do you have a store card in your name to collect the benefits and discounts.

What documents do you take to Immigration as proof of address?

Should I continue?

The point being Nigel although there are other methods to prove one's address, it's repartition and copies of various documents all the time.

One book, one copy, works for everything.

Nobody needs it.......but it sure comes in handy and saves a lot of time and effort.

Just done my 9th retirement extension,never once been asked for proof of address. Just write it down on back of TM7.

It is not wanted at Immigration or at 90 day reporting. They just pass it back to you.

Banks don't like it. They only want to photocopy passports.

Sometimes Banks or others like it because it shows local address written in Thai. Big Freakin Deal. If you have an electric bill you could use that instead.

I seem to recall one situation over the years where it was actually useful. What was it.... ? To sit on the board of my condo? No. They wanted my wife's book and marriage details, etc. No need for mine, even though I am co-owner on Chanote.

It was a bit of a pain to acquire - required 3 or 4 visits and the last one we needed a witness. The brother in law sat and said he knew me and I was me and a good guy.

Oh. it can be used to renew drivers license. But so can passport and other documents that prove residency such as electric bill or work permit, even. I got a drivers license by telling them my address and showing the work permit with its address. Both were recorded and on the license it showed my real address.

Years later I lost the license and had moved. Went to get a new one, since I had new passport number and in Thailand no govt agency wants to see an expired passport, they did a new one. This time I gave my pasport and Tambien Baan (yellow book) and they liked that.

I have since stopped carrying it with me to use as ID of any kind. Passport is what they all want to make a photo copy of.

I tried to renew my licence last month. I was told I had to get a letter from immigration to prove I lived where I did. Presented yellow book and was given back. No good. Anyone else had this issue? New rules she told me from the new 'government.'

I tried to renew my licence last month. I was told I had to get a letter from immigration to prove I lived where I did. Presented yellow book and was given back. No good. Anyone else had this issue? New rules she told me from the new 'government.'

No comment on what is acceptable by DLT but the "new rules" is BS, used all the time as easy way to dismiss with an easy escuse.

Edited by paz

paz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 19:19, said:
thequietman, on 04 Apr 2015 - 19:16, said:

No comment on what is acceptable by DLT but the "new rules" is BS, used all the time as easy way to dismiss with an easy escuse

Should have asked to see a superior. New rules my backside.

And how does a Thai renew their DL............ID card and Tabian Ban.

Thanks

I got driving licence so im orite.

I saw somewhere some requirements when applynfor visas like bring ur wife house book but i guess thats her book in that cases.

You are orite until need to renew.

Then you will need 2 more letters from immigration for both licenses. Also had to have one to transfer a vehicle to my name.

The Yellow book is also recorded on the Blue book of the principal Thai resident.

I don't understand the "principal Thai resident" part ?

What about a Farang who owns his condo?

He has a Blue Book (without his name rolleyes.gif) but no necessary a Thai around...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

With the yellow book you can get on to the 30 baht health system......all my visits to hospital and tablets the only charge I receive is 30 bht.....I have had x-rays numerous blood test, tablets every month and the charge is 30 baht...doesn't cover any dentist work....

I am sure that the yellow book do not mean free health care. I think your hospital might not know the rules - so good for you - but I would like to see some official documentation on that ? cheers!

The hospital know the rules.....you need your yellow book, one photo, a blood test, urine test, x ray and a yearly fee of 1900 bht....this gives you access to the 30 baht scheme........many of my friends are on the scheme....a german friend smashed his ankle in 4 places....3 operation, two rods in his foot....had a bill for 65000 bht...he showed his thai medical card.....bill reduced to 30 bht...............so its not free health care as you said....its a yearly scheme....for 1900 baht and 30 baht a visit which covers everything apart from any dental work....

sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 15:11, said:
Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:52, said:

Sandy you and your wife are probably joint owners living at the same address hence your house registration number is the same.

If you live in the wife's home, or are fortunate and lucky enough to still be single and rent, then the Yellow Book has a different registration number to the Blue book owner, and the blue book number is recorded in the yellow book. Similarly the Yellow book registration is recorded at the Amphur under the Blue Book.

That's why the landlord/ or owner of the blue book has to attend and sign the application form.

Say something often enough and you consider it to be fact.

sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 22:28, said:
Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 15:46, said:
sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 15:11, said:sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 15:11, said:
Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:52, said:Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:52, said:

Say something often enough and you consider it to be fact.

Actions speak louder than words.

It is not wanted at Immigration or at 90 day reporting. They just pass it back to you.

Banks don't like it. They only want to photocopy passports.

Sometimes Banks or others like it because it shows local address written in Thai. Big Freakin Deal. If you have an electric bill you could use that instead.

I seem to recall one situation over the years where it was actually useful. What was it.... ? To sit on the board of my condo? No. They wanted my wife's book and marriage details, etc. No need for mine, even though I am co-owner on Chanote.

It was a bit of a pain to acquire - required 3 or 4 visits and the last one we needed a witness. The brother in law sat and said he knew me and I was me and a good guy.

Oh. it can be used to renew drivers license. But so can passport and other documents that prove residency such as electric bill or work permit, even. I got a drivers license by telling them my address and showing the work permit with its address. Both were recorded and on the license it showed my real address.

Years later I lost the license and had moved. Went to get a new one, since I had new passport number and in Thailand no govt agency wants to see an expired passport, they did a new one. This time I gave my pasport and Tambien Baan (yellow book) and they liked that.

I have since stopped carrying it with me to use as ID of any kind. Passport is what they all want to make a photo copy of.

Yes, happened to me at Pattaya last year. You have to go immigration and show them the yellow book then pay 300 baht for a piece of paper to give to land transport.

nongsangcity, on 04 Apr 2015 - 22:13, said:

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Firefan, on 04 Apr 2015 - 15:26, said:
nongsangcity, on 04 Apr 2015 - 11:42, said:

The hospital know the rules.....you need your yellow book, one photo, a blood test, urine test, x ray and a yearly fee of 1900 bht....this gives you access to the 30 baht scheme........many of my friends are on the scheme....a german friend smashed his ankle in 4 places....3 operation, two rods in his foot....had a bill for 65000 bht...he showed his thai medical card.....bill reduced to 30 bht...............so its not free health care as you said....its a yearly scheme....for 1900 baht and 30 baht a visit which covers everything apart from any dental work....

Please read this topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/739396-health-cards-for-foreigners-ceased/

That scheme finished last year and was never meant for foreigners, it was for workers from Cambodia, Loa and Myanmar.

I think your friend has just been lucky, there is no access to the health care system for western foreigners, including ones working and paying taxes.

I think your friend has just been lucky, there is no access to the health care system for western foreigners, including ones working and paying taxes.

Yes there is.

• Like 1

Yes there is.

I don't think so. Explain, link, prove your point please ?

No link, personal experience.

You can learn a great deal by talking to real people who provide a real service, and real people who use it.

Google does not know everything.

• Like 1

Yes there is.

There is a very small amount of truth in what you claim!

It is true that some expats were successful in being included in a health insurance scheme intended for Migrant Workers (Burmese etc) The Government has since clarified the "rules" of this scheme which now specifically excludes ex-pats.

This link will explain !

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/714022-refunding-money-paid-for-expatgovernment-health-insurance/

Many other threads can be found using the "search" function most of which will confirm that you are mistaken in insisting this scheme remains available !

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1