The Board of Investment Approves 700 Projects

Thailand’s Board of Investment (BoI) has approved 700 projects. All of the projects are valued at a combined investment of 110 billion baht. The goal is to help boost Thailand’s economy through the approval of new investments.

The BoI approved 700 billion baht in investments last year and hopes to approve 1.4 trillion baht in 2015. These investments would be distributed among an estimated 1,600 projects.

The 700 projects approved so far are software, medical appliance, cloud computing and auto parts-related. This is aligned with the BoI’s policy of helping support the technology and service industries in the country.

Prayut Chan-o-cha created a 6 year plan last year that would run from 2015 to 2021. The plan is to help Thailand shift into a digital economy and relieve Thailand’s dependence on low-cost labor.

According the BoI, this year’s investments will help the country’s economy next year. Privileges are granted to companies that reside within special economic zones. These companies will have a tax exemption on income for 7 years and a 50% tax reduction for 5 years on net profits derived from investment.

Companies that fall within these zones will also be able to claim double tax deductions on transport, water and electricity.

tvn.png
-- 2015-04-03

And not one mention of the following projects I was hoping to hear about.

1. National program for accident prevention and traffic safety improvement. Greater enforcement of traffic laws with roving patrol cars and/or motorbikes.

2. Road improvement and extensions into rural areas.

3. Universal garbage collection

4. Nationwide recycling programs

5. Clean water projects for rural Thailand.

6. Electricity brought to every home in Thailand.

7. Massive investment in better education at all levels.

Well I think you can see where I'm going with this. I was frankly shocked to see nothing in these programs that would directly and immediately improve the lives of the poor and disadvantaged Thai citizens of this country. This government has completely lost sight of its low income citizens.

And not one mention of the following projects I was hoping to hear about.

1. National program for accident prevention and traffic safety improvement. Greater enforcement of traffic laws with roving patrol cars and/or motorbikes.

2. Road improvement and extensions into rural areas.

3. Universal garbage collection

4. Nationwide recycling programs

5. Clean water projects for rural Thailand.

6. Electricity brought to every home in Thailand.

7. Massive investment in better education at all levels.

Well I think you can see where I'm going with this. I was frankly shocked to see nothing in these programs that would directly and immediately improve the lives of the poor and disadvantaged Thai citizens of this country. This government has completely lost sight of its low income citizens.

No, they have not "lost" sight. They were never in sight. I keep track for a while and counted 18 separate plans, all urgent, to help rural people, mostly farmers. The latest is "forgiveness of debt." That is easy and it is the Thai middle class who pay taxes who will pay for it.