New taxi scam reported.

sniffdog

This was reported to me by a friend and is possible a new trend by taxi drivers to earn more money.

Today, my taxi driver I got at the MBK taxi queue out the bottom floor door in the back, and one I've used many times in the past with no problems, immediately turned off the air conditioner, rolled up all the windows, and while driving said "air costs bt100 extra", referencing he would not turn on the airconditioner unless I paid him an extra bt100, and he had locked the electric windows so they couldn't be rolled down.

I was thinking this was just a rouge driver, but two hours later my Thai girlfriend had the same thing happen to her, so it isn't targeting just foreigners.

Both times there was no problem turning on the meter, but for the airco it was an extra bt100, and no rolling down the windows. Has anyone else had this taxi cab scam happen to them just recently anywhere else, as this is the first time I've heard or experienced it in 12 years? They turn on the meter, but now want extra money, during this starting hot season, to turn on the AC. I called the complaint line, but they were at a loss as to what to do, because the driver did turn on the meter, and there were no threats, or anything done that would have been technically illegal.

So make sure if air conditioning is included in the price before getting in.

Edited by sniffdog

That's a good one!

However I would have made the taxi stop somewhere where there more more obliging taxi's available and given him an ultimatum..

I would record the incident on my phone and threaten to upload to You-tube where he would have been made an example of by the authorities.

It's not too difficult to work your way out of these situations.

He was trying it on and simply in response to the crack down on MBK as of late..

He doesn't want any hassle!

If it was night time I would have suggested he turn off his headlights to save petrol!

stop, open the door and get out. easy solution.

any refusal or hesitation to stop can be recorded on your phone if you have one and dealt with accordingly.

its entrapment if they dont let you out and you can go ballistic. just give a minute to pull over, if not go off.

i had a mini van driver not pull over right away when i requested to get out. i let him know in no uncertain terms that he had one chance to stop the van whereby he did stop after that.

This does not surprise me at all. Thailand is so friendly and honest .... NOT !

because some are idiot dosent meen everybody are in Thailand, because you are negative dosent mean everybody from where you come from are same. please dont be so negative.

Everyone has a phone now days, take a photo of the taxi ID displayed and send the photo to your self.Now you have a record of being in the vehicle, driver has nothing. lets start using all the tools to stop the corruption and scams.

They are afraid of cameras, it is Proof and Exposure. As usual they can't stand the Exposure.

• Like 1

Just film it, upload to youtube and make a thread about it on TV forum.

We all give it likes (in the topleft corner of this screen) and it will come up on top in Google searches.

If the General reads that it will soon be stopped.

• Like 1