Thaivisa's Ad For Illegal "Driver's Licence" Scam

Sviss Geez

Thaivisa's own forum rules ban discussion of illegal activities yet the banner advert for the past couple of days has been a US company offering to provide an unofficial translation of driving licences with the suggestion that is an "International Driving Licence" that would permit the purchaser to drive anywhere.

This is nothing but a scam being promoted by our dear forum which is making advertising revenue from anyone who is foolish enough to pay for the worthless piece of plastic. Even thought it states in the ad that the translation is not an official document the intent is clearly to mislead and defraud those who do not read everything as they should, i.e. 90% of Thhaivisa posters.

There is no such thing as an International Driving Licence and certainly no US company or even DMV could ever issue any authorisation for holders of non-US licences to drive internationally'

One rule for them and one for us, eh?

• Like 1

I agree, anything advertised as an "International Driving Licence" carries no weight as a driving document.

If you would like to post a screenshot of the offending advertisement (which is likely a Google ad) anything illegal will be removed.

Moving to Forum Support.

• Like 1

Yes there is such a thing as international driving licenses.

I can walk into an RAA here in Australia with my Aussie drivers license and be issued one for a small fee. It is a legal license. Legally I can drive in any country then including Thailand.

I agree, anything advertised as an "International Driving Licence" carries no weight as a driving document.

If you would like to post a screenshot of the offending advertisement (which is likely a Google ad) anything illegal will be removed.

Moving to Forum Support.

Wouldn't know how to post a screenshot but why don't you just look at your own forum and read it? It's not hard to find a banner ad across the top of this page.

Edited by Sviss Geez

I can walk into an RAA here in Australia with my Aussie drivers license and be issued one for a small fee. It is a legal license. Legally I can drive in any country then including Thailand.

That's a permit for holders of Australian licences to drive internationally. Australia, or any other country, cannot issue permits for holders of non-Australian licences to drive anywhere. The banner ad on here is suggesting that their translations will permit those daft enough to send them money to do just that, "drive a vehicle anywhere in the world".

Edited by Sviss Geez

Moving to Forum Support.

Wouldn't know how to post a screenshot but why don't you just look at your own forum and read it? It's not hard to find a banner ad across the top of this page.

They are targeted ads depending on viewing history and as such will not necessarily be seen by everyone. For example, I see an ad for laboratory grade Laser Diodes at the top of this page as I have been doing a lot of Google searching for them recently.

Thus the need for a screenshot by the member who sees it. Hit Print Screen key, open a paint program such as MS Paint, paste into it, save it then use the Attach File feature. Or just use the built in windows app Snipping Tool located under Accessories in the Start menu.

Moving to Forum Support.

They are targeted ads depending on viewing history and as such will not necessarily be seen by everyone. For example, I see an ad for laboratory grade Laser Diodes at the top of this page as I have been doing a lot of Google searching for them recently.

Thus the need for a screenshot by the member who sees it. Hit Print Screen key, open a paint program such as MS Paint, paste into it, save it then use the Attach File feature. Or just use the built in windows app Snipping Tool located under Accessories in the Start menu.

Or, much easier, you could just Google "international driving licence" and maybe see the ad yourself as you seem to know your way around a computer, I don't. Incidentally prior to seeing the ad my viewing history had no connection whatsoever to dodgy licence translations.

Anyway this has got too long-winded for me, you just continue allowing ads for illegal products to be foisted on your members for George's betterment, I'm out of this one now.

You are so wrong

It's true there is no such thing as a International Driving License, however there is an "International Driving Permit" This applies on a country by country basis,below is the UK version issued by the RAC (a well respected UK organisation) The AA (Automobile Association) also do a "International Driving Permit"

both of which state countries which the permit is legal.

http://www.rac.co.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit/

Just now, I happened to see an ad of the type mentioned by the OP on this page:

post-21260-0-87332700-1428529514_thumb.p

When opened in a new tab (using Chrome), the ad's URL is
pagead2.googlesyndication.com/simgad/5746066315579874876
and the ad shows as an animated GIF, with the bold text alternating between
DRIVE A CAR IN THE USA AND MORE THAN 200 COUNTRIES
and
INTERNATIONAL DRIVER LICENSE

However, when I click on the ad, the web page www.international-license.com/?gclid=COiiipTV58QCFQsnjgodQR0AZg that opens mentions no license but instead "INTERNATIONAL DRIVER'S DOCUMENT" and includes the text "Our translation has no official status and does not confer any legal privileges or rights on consumers."

A bit dodgy, I should think.

post-21260-0-06541400-1428530569_thumb.p

P.S. On the same page, there is a slightly larger version of the same ad with the URL

pagead2.googlesyndication.com/simgad/8270632811833730453

post-21260-0-73984800-1428531478_thumb.p

Edited by Maestro
added postscipt
  • Like 1