Phuket Nightlife: Gforcejunky-style

Gforcejunkypkt

great video, I'd prefer that kind of nightlife to the usual kind any day wink.png

Thx @kekalot -- and yeah, maybe like yourself and many others I've been there and done that with the usual kind (and would never judge others who do enjoy it), but have since moved on to 'safer' endeavors :)

Are you loris hunting? A quiet drink in a bar on Bangla Road would be safer. Also no head aches or carpet burns grass rash in the morning. I always believe in the Boy Scout motto for my adrenalin-rush nitelife activities. (Be Prepared)!!! 555

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

Borriiiiing!!! You need to find some female company and party!

Ha ha BSJ, a debatable but certainly very arguable point. However, as alluded to in a post above, I did that pretty hardcore for about 7 years, 4-6 nights/mornings a week (after working at my company all day) and could tell some stories that would make even most TV members blush :) But like many others I eventually just got pretty tired of it all...

And now I have a young daughter who threatens to 'runaway' every time I wonder aloud if I should get a girlfriend -- of course she's just kidding but I know for sure she wouldn't appreciate having a chunk of her toy/clothes/gadget money going toward taking care of some bird's papa's sick buffalo or whatever...it would be trouble in the Gforcejunky household for sure; it's pretty laid back now and that's the way we like it :)

You should just post this on face book for your chums, maybe they will appreciate it.

Thanks for the advice @BadBouy but it already is on FB -- in fact I've also posted it here on TV specifically so non-Facebook friends/others might enjoy it, while also seeing something a bit different from the usual "where to buy/eat/drink" or "visa/neighbor/GF problems" etc. posts, important as those are... Of course anyone not into such things doesn't need to click on the post or the video link smile.png

Edited by Gforcejunkypkt

Looked like someone made a hash Run trtail to follow !

A local MTB club or 2 runs competitions at this course area @TheWizardofRnR -- and perhaps not so suitable for running because even the 'flat' sections are very twisty and up & down -- it would be something of an ankle breaker if moving at speed on foot -- but I know you Hashers do some pretty hard runs so who knows!

Edited by Gforcejunkypkt

next time walk better ...more action ....without lights .....cowboy.gif

Ok, I'm right behind you... wink.png

On second thought, I would like to highlight that there's a difference between calculated risk and plain craziness -- we should at least wait til the next full moon...

On second thought, I would like to highlight that there's a difference between calculated risk and plain craziness -- we should at least wait til the next full moon...

Fair play, but what is your contingency plan to deal with said "calulated risk?"

Fair play, but what is your contingency plan to deal with said "calulated risk?"

Well I was kinda joking around with the poster, but good question you ask (though takes a bit to explain in writing, plz excuse the length):

1) Nearly 40 years experience in adventure & extreme sports (as participant and instructor). Also where I grew up in Alaska if you go out into nature (which means 10 ft from your house), don't respect Mother, don't prepare properly and don't have contingency plans, there's a good chance you will die, simple as that. Given this scenario such practices become ingrained in your character. For the record, I most likely would not do such a nighttime ride in Alaska -- just too much chance of running into/surprising a bear or moose.

2) Knowledgeable and trained in First Aid (requisite of my job) + Search & Rescue techniques / good First Aid kit in backpack during all adventures, day or night (also 2 knives, MTB toolkit & mozzie spray -- I never leave the house on any adventure without these.)

3) Quite powerful lights, with back-up batteries (despite in-video joke).

4) Close friend/adventure mate in Phuket notified pre-trip and following my journey in real-time using a very handy GPS tracker and our mobile phones (extra powerbank in the backpack:). Said buddy has instructions that if my movements were to stop more than 1 hr and he could not make phone contact with me after several attempts, he (and nurse wife) would mount a S&R with my (adventure co.) staff. GPS tracker accurate to within about 10-20m depending on signal strength. Of course it's incumbent on me to not lose or break my phone (carried in good protective case), the admitted weak link in the chain. Might all sound like overkill if not overly dramatic but we take it seriously.

5) Finally, one of my best clients for over 8 years is a company called International SOS -- they could get me out of just about anywhere in the world if called upon 24/7.

Guess that about covers it for a little 2-hour adventure wink.png

Edited by Gforcejunkypkt

Mountain biking and dirt bike riding through the hills around Chaing Mai are some of the fondest memories I have of Thailand. Hills and trails are much shorter in Phuket.

Good stuff @NomadJoe, you bet, Phuket can't really compare to Chiang Mai (or Krabi) for biking and riding given geographical features (though it's sad though to see the air pollution getting so bad in CNX:( Anyway if you have any cool pix or video clips from your adventures would welcome them to the thread (or anyone else's for that matter, as long as they're in Thailand).

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick Thx for watching, commenting and 'liking' this thread/video -- while loads of fun it's actually quite a bit of work to make these videos so it's nice to get some positive feedback -- soon as my shoulder's a bit better you might see a climbing/bouldering version of Phuket Nightlife...G'nite and safe adventures to all.

Well I was kinda joking around with the poster, but good question you ask (though takes a bit to explain in writing, plz excuse the length):

1) Nearly 40 years experience in adventure & extreme sports (as participant and instructor). Also where I grew up in Alaska if you go out into nature (which means 10 ft from your house), don't respect Mother, don't prepare properly and don't have contingency plans, there's a good chance you will die, simple as that. Given this scenario such practices become ingrained in your character. For the record, I most likely would not do such a nighttime ride in Alaska -- just too much chance of running into/surprising a bear or moose.

2) Knowledgeable and trained in First Aid (requisite of my job) + Search & Rescue techniques / good First Aid kit in backpack during all adventures, day or night (also 2 knives, MTB toolkit & mozzie spray -- I never leave the house on any adventure without these.)

4) Close friend/adventure mate in Phuket notified pre-trip and following my journey in real-time using a very handy GPS tracker and our mobile phones (extra powerbank in the backpack:). Said buddy has instructions that if my movements were to stop more than 1 hr and he could not make phone contact with me after several attempts, he (and nurse wife) would mount a S&R with my (adventure co.) staff. GPS tracker accurate to within about 10-20m depending on signal strength. Of course it's incumbent on me to not lose or break my phone (carried in good protective case), the admitted weak link in the chain. Might all sound like overkill if not overly dramatic but we take it seriously.

5) Finally, one of my best clients for over 8 years is a company called International SOS -- they could get me out of just about anywhere in the world if called upon 24/7.

All good, but don't forget point number six.

6) A big bank account to pay for any, and all injuries incurred, whilst undertaking an extreme sport, which is probably not covered by insurance, in which the Phuket medical system will seek to extract the maximum amount of money out of said bank account. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

All good, but don't forget point number six.

6) A big bank account to pay for any, and all injuries incurred, whilst undertaking an extreme sport, which is probably not covered by insurance, in which the Phuket medical system will seek to extract the maximum amount of money out of said bank account. smile.png

Wise words to be sure, but frankly that's why it's good to have a couple of very long-time buddies back home with literally more money than they know what to do with, and would assuredly help out if needed -- which really isn't anything extraordinary if you think about it: many of the world's greatest adventurers (which of course I'm not:) were/are not really rich or even well-off kinda people. And yes, it's also very hard to come by insurance policies that will cover for extreme sports -- so they have often been sponsored by wealthy patrons or corporations.

Would I still engage in extreme sports even if I didn't have such dependable friends? Yes, most probably, as I've had some kind of dopamine-depedency since I was about 6 yr. old and survived w/o significant injury getting smashed by a Camaro going about 65 mph (ironically I was playing Super Man at the time:) -- I just can't seem to shake it, and the "older but wiser" stuff seems to have so far passed me by sad.png

Wow! 48 years old and still fit enough to do the Free Sole Climb at Chalong Bay!

I have found a new hero. biggrin.png

And thanks for the info about the camera as I had assumed it was a Go-Pro.

Thanks @JetsetBkk for your nice words and reference to my other adventure (and I have to say it helps being a naturally slender/wiry kinda dude :)

Regarding camera, yes of course Go Pro's are by far the most popular of action cams, and for good reason, they're generally considered to be the best overall. But at the same time to me it's also a bit of an 'Apple-like popularity' thing (and awesome marketing:) with the Sony Action Cam (and a couple of others) being very close in quality (even superior in some areas).

The reason I finally chose the SAC is primarily due to it's superior stabilization, which no Go Pro's even had until the very latest Hero 4 models finally incorporated it (though I haven't read any reviews about how good it is). Sony' great stabilization system, which it easily ported over from it's other cameras, makes a huge difference, esp. with doing things like mountain biking and riding motorcycles.

The other reason I went with the SAC is that while overall the capabilities & specs of the Go Pros are arguably better (more pros use them) -- to really tap into these you have to take the time (and have good knowledge of) to do more in-depth post-production editing. In many people's opinion the SAC's video is better straight out of the camera, and usually doesn't require any kind of (or very little) post production editing -- with most of my videos I just have to cut segments and add transitions, titles and music -- that's it (though this can still take a long time choosing what and how to put it all together).

Anyway maybe I'll start an 'Action & Dash Cam' thread or the like, as more and more people are using these devices nowadays and it would be good to see people's different perspectives/experiences or sharing of knowledge.

Thanks @JetsetBkk for your nice words and reference to my other adventure (and I have to say it helps being a naturally slender/wiry kinda dude smile.png

Regarding camera, yes of course Go Pro's are by far the most popular of action cams, and for good reason, they're generally considered to be the best overall. But at the same time to me it's also a bit of an 'Apple-like popularity' thing (and awesome marketing:) with the Sony Action Cam (and a couple of others) being very close in quality (even superior in some areas).

The reason I finally chose the SAC is primarily due to it's superior stabilization, which no Go Pro's even had until the very latest Hero 4 models finally incorporated it (though I haven't read any reviews about how good it is). Sony' great stabilization system, which it easily ported over from it's other cameras, makes a huge difference, esp. with doing things like mountain biking and riding motorcycles.

The other reason I went with the SAC is that while overall the capabilities & specs of the Go Pros are arguably better (more pros use them) -- to really tap into these you have to take the time (and have good knowledge of) to do more in-depth post-production editing. In many people's opinion the SAC's video is better straight out of the camera, and usually doesn't require any kind of (or very little) post production editing -- with most of my videos I just have to cut segments and add transitions, titles and music -- that's it (though this can still take a long time choosing what and how to put it all together).

Anyway maybe I'll start an 'Action & Dash Cam' thread or the like, as more and more people are using these devices nowadays and it would be good to see people's different perspectives/experiences or sharing of knowledge.

Interesting that you mention the Sony image stabilisation. I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-WX350. It's just a pocket camera that can take HD videos, so I occasionally stick it on my dashboard and record whatever is happening. But the surprising thing is, even though my pickup is bouncing up and down, the image is quite stable and the bonnet (hood) at the bottom of the video is the only thing that appears to be going up and down.

Here's a short clip that shows this:

• Like 1