South Korea bans Thai charter flights, affecting 10,000 passengers

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm really interested to know, what safety measures the Thai planes do not implement.

There must be something really wrong that the Japanese and now the Koreans don't like.

I started thinking if I should ever fly again on Thai planes.

Anybody can help here?

Costas, I'm sure that Thai airlines are operated just as well as Thai railroads, Thai tour buses, Thai highways, and Thai bar fights.

Cheers

That's just it. Transport standards are appalling in Thailand. In Korea, Japan and most other countries the mini-vans that kill countless every year would be off the road or heavily overseen, and a death toll on the roads like Thailand's would be a matter of national urgency. Kids of 10 in multiple numbers on bikes without helmets filling the roads would be likewise.

I know these sorts of things go on in India, Indonesia (where the road toll has been cut and rules increasingly enforced) and parts of Africa but Thailand is not a third world country infrastructure or development wise, whereas most of those are. This new lot, after initial mumblings about sorting this sort of thing out, are no better than any government before them when it comes to addressing any of this. The minister's words above show he's as clueless as the rest.

Exactly; start to cash in - like someone wrote few days ago - really high fines, say for example for wrong side driving.
Now, would that possibly piss off myself too, meaning a hell of a lot - ah, 'detours' ...?
But if every other time a friendly Brownie would be plucking me off my bike and insistently (& legally wink.png ) be asking for say a fiver (grand THB) i would probably reconsider in due time ...
Not that different in aviation i guess ...

Sadly they're too busy wasting millions on unneeded toys submarines to worry about things like road safety. Given that it's Songkran and all ...

But why does it need article 44 to sort? Why not sack those responsible for not carrying out the procedures ? Is it because those responsible are "connected" and have been caught out in positions they're NOT qualified for, or is it simply the blind leading the blind with THAI ?

It quite clearly doesn't need Art.44 at all. It's excuses to justify the unjustifiable.

But why does it need article 44 to sort? Why not sack those responsible for not carrying out the procedures ? Is it because those responsible are "connected" and have been caught out in positions they're NOT qualified for, or is it simply the blind leading the blind with THAI ?

It quite clearly doesn't need Art.44 at all. It's excuses to justify the unjustifiable.

Quite so. Those 'connected' are still connected, Article 44 or not. In fact, 44 makes it harder for whistleblowers and those who want to tell the truth as it can be perceived as 'harming the nation'.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm really interested to know, what safety measures the Thai planes do not implement.

There must be something really wrong that the Japanese and now the Koreans don't like.

Anybody can help here?

Not so much point taking the piss out of the Thais but more important to concentrate on the real cause of the problem.

Costas , Make sure you only fly on carriers that a IATA members, Thai International is a member and has passed it's current audit certification, it's budget fleet apparently is not a member, the main issue is the Government's aviation watchdog and the issuer of Airworthiness certification failed their Audit and they issued 22 airworthiness Cert over a 12 month period.

Edited by chainarong
  • Like 2

after a warning I got again from TV, I would comment like this !

I wish all Thai air traveller the best, hope and luck,

go temple before your boarding !

Lawyers say, make your last will in time !

Thai airplanes safety and securaty measures are all well implemented and done on best knowledge of the staff and bosses !;

It is only the bad competition which wants to make Thai Aviation bad

and try to give them a bad name;

Me, for my self booked the next 3 long hall flights not with any Thai airline or charter !

• Like 1

Anybody can help here?

Not so much point taking the piss out of the Thais but more important to concentrate on the real cause of the problem.

Dear Costa, you want advise ?

I did fly for 12 years mostley , nearly exclusively Thai Airways, Bk Airways, Nok Air;

My next 3 long hall flights from Eu to BKK will not be with Thai airways !!

You as greek might be even more confuse, that currently we even trust

Turkish Airline more than some others !!

Dont worrie about IATA regulations !!

Thai security staff taken them even more strictly;

By IATA rules , its not allowed to have any cutter, knife, cissor - or similar item,

which have a longer cutting edge than 34 mm;

More than 3 times they took me off my nail cissor with a cutting lenght of 26 mm,

But that the cissor will not reach again BAD hands,

the officers take them immeditely in there own pocket !

Experianced 2 times in K Samui, Surathani and 2 times in BKK Swampy,

where they getting very angry, when I handed back the cissor to my wife ! :-)))

Once I asked a main officer to see,

he explained me that here I'm flying under Thai rules and not under IATA -

so you may know what they ansered when International investigation arrived there !!

You still wonder what's going on ??

So 3 times you have been checked for nail clippers before boarding fights and you lose the plot?

So you never learnt your lesson the second time, and didn't bother reading the prohibited articles list on your itinary or the security checks I other words you Blame the airline for your own stupidity and lack of knowledge about the rules and regulations on prohibited items.

Yeah okay, maybe a reality check and get your shit together before flying might be a better idea than to spit dummies out??

• Like 2

Bit heavy handed by Korea. The Japanese gave the DCA two months until the end of May to resubmit a new plan to address the ICAO concerns and to meet their requirements.

Sure the DCA ,to say the least , has draged its feet over this issue for several years. The country has been going through political upheaval throughout this time which may be a factor.

The matter has now come to a head and a fire has been lit under the DCA and PM Gen Prayut to get this matter resolved . The Koreans could have been a little more graceful over the matter and given another two months before pulling the plug and disrupting so many peoples travel plans. Afterall these concerns have been ongoing for years.

It's very interesting that South Korea are banning these charter flights, since both Asiana and Korean air both have very bad safety records. Korean air is on 50th place of airlines based in Asia and Asiana are some numbers above and so is Thai Airways also, but Korean are on last place.

Bit heavy handed by Korea. The Japanese gave the DCA two months until the end of May to resubmit a new plan to address the ICAO concerns and to meet their requirements.

Sure the DCA ,to say the least , has draged its feet over this issue for several years. The country has been going through political upheaval throughout this time which may be a factor.

The matter has now come to a head and a fire has been lit under the DCA and PM Gen Prayut to get this matter resolved . The Koreans could have been a little more graceful over the matter and given another two months before pulling the plug and disrupting so many peoples travel plans. Afterall these concerns have been ongoing for years.

And that would have nothing to do with it being high season?

"Civil Aviation Department director general Somchai Piputwat disclosed that Thai civil aviation team flew to South Korean on April 2 to talk to the Korean authorities on the international Civil Aviation Organisations safety concern on charter flights"

Mr Somchai declined to comment on why he and the aviation team elected to fly Korean Airlines to the meeting.

• Like 1

So thailand is not that special or different.

Maybe, but they seem to have managed to convince the Japanese to allow the flights according to this report.
only certain flights with "certain" (newer) planes are allowed, no plane or time changes allowed. it is simple,... nobody trusts that the aged thai fleet is being maintained according to factory & international "air time specs" . :-)

Next step Thailand bans South Korean tourists. 2 months later TAT report S Korean tourists figures have doubled.

just claim Thais !

US manager do not better,

they come to rescue a company,

they fire 50% workers of the factory, selling off the stock which produced by the 100% before,

Company 100% profitable !!!!

The manager leave with a high BONUS ;

the rest of 50% labour under high pressure, cant produce enough or good products,

the company is banrupt and close:

the compan

Civil Aviation Department director general Somchai Piputwat disclosed that Thai civil aviation team flew to South Korean on April 2 to talk to the Korean authorities on the international Civil Aviation Organisation’s safety concern on charter flights operated by by Thai airlines.

There's your problem right there. DON"T let anyone with the name "Somchai" run anything!

w00t.gif

Edited by Fullstop
  • Like 2

Sadly they're too busy wasting millions on unneeded toys submarines to worry about things like road safety. Given that it's Songkran and all ...

Took the submarines for a pair of old shoes but no, an article from January '15 popped up, impressive ... i can see, at least 15 new generals - no wait, admirals - per piece for proper supervision, makes sense to me ...

South Korean civil aviation authorities understand the problem that Thailand is facing

​OK, I fly Thai International 12 times a year, what is the bloody problem Thailand is facing ? No money for maintenance, no maintenance engineers ?? What is the RISK ? Why are the talks only involve charter flights ?

How about some over-paid government official come clean and fully explain to the customers, the situation. Are the planes that I fly SAFE ? It is easier enough for me to swap back to Singapore Airlines, I could not care less about an extra 2 hours in Singapore. Far far better airport anyway, and Duty Free you can trust.

Anybody can help here?

the air craft must be maintained to the standards set by the maker. "air frame" & " power plant" make up the plane, every part has it own "life" in hours before change out. this includes every powerplant & mechanical function ,as well as electronic eye ball inspection of every panal & rivet, as well the frame. each part has its own lifetime, in flight hours or hours from dob, ( date of build ) .it takes thousands of man hours & millions of dollars to keep up with the schedules of parts change out on a single plane. i suspect there is a problem with the logs that show the work being done. this cannot be fugged as replacement part #s are a link to part supply services. the plane parts are to expensive to keep on stock for any airline , just saying :-)

Good logical answer, thanks Mikiea.

Prime Minister Park isn't playing games. She wants the traveling public in Korea to be safe. She cleaned house after the ferry disaster and her administration doesn't give two-hoots about some lousy charter outfits in Thailand. They put the daughter of a powerful executive at Korean Air in jail for having "nut rage." Why should they continue to let them fly in their airspace if they're not safe?

• Like 1

Anybody can help here?

Costas, I'm sure that Thai airlines are operated just as well as Thai railroads, Thai tour buses, Thai highways, and Thai bar fights.

Cheers

I noted in the article that Thai regular flights will continue and that it is just CHARTER flights affected by the ban.

What I find interesting is that KAL had a similar issue some years ago. They resolved their problem by bringing in outside help in training, safety and the cockpit. If THAI is to get themselves out of this they should seriously consider doing the same.