TRUE Internet keeps dropping out

Forkinhades

I have recently moved to TRUE as my ISP provider, because everyone was saying how good they are.

Well it started very good, for about 2 weeks, but now it just keeps on dropping out, so I did a ping test at command prompt ping -t 8.8.8.8 and the output confirmed that at regular intervals i got the message 'request timed out'

post-45135-0-72802900-1428366576_thumb.j

What recourse do I have? Probably none, but the question needs to be asked

FWIW We've had issues with our True Fibre service here in Chiang Mai (Hang Dong) over the weekend and today, with the connection intermittently timing out for 5 mins at a time. Running a ping test today to US Google servers shows around 10% packet loss.

Well called TRUE this morning, they said engineer will call tomorrow, got a phone call about an hour ago to say that engineer coming now.

I showed him the packet loss, he did a wifi scan, and quite a few of the neighbours have TRUE, and are sharing the same channel, so just changed the 'wifi' channel. Everything now good.

Did not get a chance to test the wired pc's, will test later, but no packet loss at the moment. :)

Occasional packet loss/delay is expected and even built into the tcp/ip spec.

Good that the TrueInternet guys were able to diagnose the issue as being localized to your WiFi interface. WiFi is kinda like having competing Buddhist Wat parties occurring at the same time, speakers blaring, and you trying to listen to classical music out on your porch.

wifi.analyzer.crowded24-100389092-orig.g

Poor little Channel 14 there looks so lonely. :((there's usually a reason for that)

If you have a smartphone you can download a WiFi Analyzer that will let you see which of the 3 main available channels have the most shared users.

Though, if there are way too many and you can become the loudest of the scrum then you may be better off switching everything from 2.4GHz to 5GHz.

So, the problem was not True but probably local Wifi interference. Definitely install a Wifi analyzer (varioius ones out there) as it might surprise you in how many Wifi signals are around you like RickCor's picture above shows. Probably worst for folks living in high rises/in the city...but even folks in houses like me pick up Wifi signals from the neighboring homes. Adjacent channel conflicts are the worst. inSSIDer Home is a free PC program which you can still find on the web for download...it does a good job of showing you Wifi signals around you, signal strength, names, etc. It's very similar to Wifi Analzyer that Richcor shows above. A bunch of different Wifi analyzers out there...some better than others.

Here's a webpage link to metageek which produces various Wifi analyzer programs...this webpage just give you some info on Wifi signal conflicts. I don't think you can download inSSIDer Home from their website anymore but it's still out there on other websites like TechSpot. It runs on Win 8.1 also as I have it on my Win 8.1 'puter.

• Like 1

Indeed, I now have an wifi analyser, was amazed at how many channels were being used up, even though we are on an housing estate. Also shocked that the router only has 11 available on the 2.4gh range.

Indeed, I now have an wifi analyser, was amazed at how many channels were being used up, even though we are on an housing estate. Also shocked that the router only has 11 available on the 2.4gh range.

Always been that way...that's the standard. But someone being on the same channel as you does not automatically mean interference for both of you...it gets more technical than that...nearby Wifi folks can coexist on the same channel perfectly fine....it's the adjacent channel interference that is more damaging to a good Wifi connection.

Occasional packet loss/delay is expected and even built into the tcp/ip spec.

Good that the TrueInternet guys were able to diagnose the issue as being localized to your WiFi interface. WiFi is kinda like having competing Buddhist Wat parties occurring at the same time, speakers blaring, and you trying to listen to classical music out on your porch.

wifi.analyzer.crowded24-100389092-orig.g

Poor little Channel 14 there looks so lonely. sad.png(there's usually a reason for that)

If you have a smartphone you can download a WiFi Analyzer that will let you see which of the 3 main available channels have the most shared users.

Though, if there are way too many and you can become the loudest of the scrum then you may be better off switching everything from 2.4GHz to 5GHz.

Arrgh....

That chart just initiated an epileptic seizure....

2 threads on this same topic today, and I've spent the last week (especially, but often anyway) cursing at the internet in Thailand.

But don't you think it has anything to do with ISP's being put in charge of monitoring by beatufiful leader? I do. Every time his admin makes statements about how ISP and military are monitoring people on Facebook and Line (which they are now, and much more directly and I think less stealthily than NSA) the internet in Thailand seems to get worse.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well called TRUE this morning, they said engineer will call tomorrow, got a phone call about an hour ago to say that engineer coming now.

I showed him the packet loss, he did a wifi scan, and quite a few of the neighbours have TRUE, and are sharing the same channel, so just changed the 'wifi' channel. Everything now good.

Did not get a chance to test the wired pc's, will test later, but no packet loss at the moment. smile.png

Actually he would be a Technician not an Engineer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Did not get a chance to test the wired pc's, will test later, but no packet loss at the moment. smile.png

Actually he would be a Technician not an Engineer

Actually you would be a pedant.

Thais often use the word engineer for a technician, probably because it's easier for them to pronounce. Everyone understands what they mean so where's the problem?

Thais often use the word engineer for a technician, probably because it's easier for them to pronounce. Everyone understands what they mean so where's the problem?

Thais refer also to university for everything higher than primary school whistling.gif

Thais refer also to university for everything higher than primary school alt=whistling.gif>

They do not!

It is just that in Thailand they have 2 Universities. One is the standard, where you get a B.A. for example, and in which you know, and one is a Technical University, which you do not know. In other countries you may call them Technical Colleges.

Who says you have to graduate from a University with a B.A. to be classified as an Engineer in your country?