PM undecided about constitutional referendum

webfact

PM undecided about constitutional referendum

BANGKOK, 8 April 2015 (NNT) - Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has said that he remains undecided whether to hold a referendum on the new constitution, saying it was not yet time to make such a decision.

When asked if the government would revert to past constitutions if the referendum rejected the new charter, the premier said his administration would instead restart the constitution drafting process from the beginning.

General Prayut added that the proposed provision allowing for an unelected Prime Minister should be kept in the new constitution. He pointed out that the past government was not able to function during the political crisis leading up to May 22, when the military finally assumed control of the government.

Therefore, the premier said that allowing for outside intervention in the event of a political deadlock was necessary, after which a new election would be held.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-08 footer_n.gif

Now that would be the ACID test to his administration's success or lack of it - wouldn't it?

Not really its a complete waste of time and non event. People who genuinely disagree with the charter for proper reasons are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Unless they are given a choice of charters to choose, its just a never ending circle.

Reject the charter and back to step one, for another 2 year Constitution drafting, no doubt by the same people. Where would it stop.

Its all very convenient for the powers that be. Say yes, and we get what we want and 'approval' via a referendum, say no and we still get what we want.

For those who genuinely want a return to elections for the right reasons, and vote on the charter on its merits its a complete waste of time. Either agree with it, or we start the process all over again.

• Like 1

Prime Minister, take my advice.

No referendum yet.

The reds are alive and kicking and will vote against it.

I know it will take some time to get rid of them, but patience is a virtue.

Carry on as you are now and you can think of referendums and elections later.

Now that would be the ACID test to his administration's success or lack of it - wouldn't it?

Not really its a complete waste of time and non event. People who genuinely disagree with the charter for proper reasons are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Unless they are given a choice of charters to choose, its just a never ending circle.

Reject the charter and back to step one, for another 2 year Constitution drafting, no doubt by the same people. Where would it stop.

Its all very convenient for the powers that be. Say yes, and we get what we want and 'approval' via a referendum, say no and we still get what we want.

For those who genuinely want a return to elections for the right reasons, and vote on the charter on its merits its a complete waste of time. Either agree with it, or we start the process all over again.

Giving him all the rope he needs - if he wants more. But that would be counter productive because then people will begin to wonder - What TF is going on Here? Dude? Ya can't be serious? Are you really up to the task? Those are the questions he would have to face if the referendum fails to approve the draft charters (assuming that process was free of influence - wink wink).

• Like 1

General Prayut added that the proposed provision allowing for an unelected Prime Minister should be kept in the new constitution. He pointed out that the past government was not able to function during the political crisis leading up to May 22, when the military finally assumed control of the government.

That's a political slippery slope to be going down and there's nothing democratic about installing an un-elected PM. The previous government couldn't function properly when the military and police refuse to take orders to stop the violence which only goes to show what a mess the Thai political scene has become.

This is never going to end ... gov - coup - gov - coup

• Like 1

I think it is doubtful whether a referendum will be held on the new constitution .

As Costas2008 says " The reds are alive and kicking and will vote against it "

The majority of Thai people would not consider the content rationally , they would just vote against it on principle .

The PM needs to be careful , as he runs a risk of building resentments , which will break out at a future date .

It is a mistake to think the Reds will fade away , they won't .

I think it is doubtful whether a referendum will be held on the new constitution .

The majority of Thai people would not consider the content rationally , they would just vote against it on principle .

The PM needs to be careful , as he runs a risk of building resentments , which will break out at a future date .

Why would they vote against it on principle?

They didn't vote against it in the referendum for the 2007 constitution.

No referendum yet.

1_zpsvhef2uqe.png

• Like 2

At any given time about 50% of the stories on the News section are about the inane rambling of this jumped up little dictator.

Is anyone else sick of hearing about his illogical rants?

I say, it's jolly unfair to talk about "Costas2008" like that!

Oh sorry, I see what you're on about now...

Don't want to PM unless necessary and want to rest - then Article 44 replaces martial law - can't remember the film where said "absolute power" now he has it and can do what he wants - as it suits him when and if - he can decide who to appoint to what position for national security - next he will appoint army chief to overlook the education system - I think what he has done and tried to do so far is good but he wants to do everything at once - transport canals human trafficking etc - if he started with corruption first and kept going until sorted - let your minions do the other stuff and if they don't get results - fire them if guilty - not inactive posts and replace them with people working for the country not just lining their pockets Only MPO

Why would they vote against it on principle?

They didn't vote against it in the referendum for the 2007 constitution.

No, they did not vote against it.

They were told the same thing as now. If they don't vote it in with the ever so small change,

There would not be an election. They accepted it out of necessity. They may well not accept this one with so many changes that the people don't understand.

A referendum literally could go either way.

There should be a plan B

No referendum yet.

Umm you do realise the reds are actually tThai people and deserve a vote just like all Thai people.

Or is it your view that they dont deserve a vote until they agree to vote the way you think they should?

• Like 1

No referendum yet.

Costas my deranged Greek friend, you sound like you came from 1930's Europe with that attitude.

My good man. The Reds should not be gotten rid of, but should be allowed to have their opposition convert their way of thinking, it's called canvassing. You know. Offering them alternative views, and outcomes, and then be allowed to cast their votes you Greeks created the foundations of democracy But you just can't get enough autocracy and oligarchy right now can you.

Please spare us the crap about but but but Thakisn will buy their votes, so what, try convincing the reset of the country that did not vote dems either they're wrong too!!

Arrogance almost always leads to a fall.

You are either the biggest piss taker on TFV with your man crush on the PM, or needing to stay off the kool aid as its rotting you're brains ?

I'm going with piss-taker

"...not yet time to make such a decision..."

You've got the be kidding. This decision should be a no-brainer. If the people can't have a say in their constitution then that nails it for Thailand ever seeing any semblance of Democracy for a long time to come.

"Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has said that he remains undecided whether to hold a referendum on the new constitution"

He is not UNDECIDED.

He has reiterated that under the Junta law of the Interim Charter no referendum is cited. He has stated that the Thai people have been allowed to comment and the NRC/CDC has taken such comments into consdieration. He is backed by numerous surveys that support the entire draft charter. When you consider that the 2007 Constitution was passed by only 51% vote, why would Prayut risk any denial from the Thai electorate on a draft constitution that is far more draconian and anit-democratic than the 2007 Constitution?

Prayut has DECIDED.

The draft 2015 constitution will get endorsed without a public referendum just as the Junta's coup and Interim Charter were endorsed to become the law of the land. Democratic participation of the Thai people is just an inconvenience to the Junta's roadmap to its final dominance over the Thai rights and liberties. How else can the military continue its reform of the Thai society into a feudal state?

No referendum yet.

What's the problem with the reds?

Either they have the majority to refuse, then nothing will change.

Or they don't.

Time for us Falangs to start packing our bags will only get worse ,whilst all the neighbouring countries including Burma will be welcoming us with open arms inviting us to spend our wealth with them what's that song ! Should I go or should I stay !!!