Sweating the Bed

chiangrai

Surely it is first thinking about where you come from and what maximum temperatures you can handle. If someone comes from UK for instance I would say anything above 26 might cause discomfort. Your body might simply be set to operate at much lower temperatures.

Even if you live in a village, a fan and light bedding is the absolute minimum.

put a pair of towels on the sheets then if they are wet in the morning dry or replace them

Experience has taught me to put a big towel under the (tightly tucked in) sheets and it don't move about. Much easier to wash the sheets and a towel than having to deal with a wet mattress.

I am on longterm medication and I supose it's from that.

If my wife is not sweating while in the same bed that means the temperture is o.k.

What Neocon said stopped me in my tracks.I sleep on a laytex matress

topper on a sheet of plyboard.

Could it be that I need to buy a new matress aswell

That your wife is not sweating doesn't mean anything.....Had a girlfriend in Europe that had 25 degree for sleeping. My mother sleeps at 15 degree. There are big differences...Usually women like it warmer than men. Usually Thai people warmer than westerns, usually thin people warmer than fat one, usually smoker warmer than non smoker. (Just from my experiences....)

Dial down the Aircon 2 degree and check if it reduces sweating.

• Like 1

Surely it is first thinking about where you come from and what maximum temperatures you can handle. If someone comes from UK for instance I would say anything above 26 might cause discomfort. Your body might simply be set to operate at much lower temperatures.

Even if you live in a village, a fan and light bedding is the absolute minimum.

At 26 degree I wouldn't sleep and soak the bed. My mother would get an heart attack (she must have ice bear genes).

Just play around with the fan the air and the weight of blankets. We are not designed for this climate. I can't stand a fan close to me. I sleep happily if it's a slight breeze. I get a sore throat with the air on. A quilt makes me sweat badly. One of those small blankets they give you on a long haul flight and the fan in the corner of the room buffered by my mrs is about perfect.

I had this problem and ignored it at first thought must be drinking to much or maybe changed the duvet to early after two weeks went to the Doctor he sent me to the hospital for blood test and x-ray found out I had Lung cancer and had had it for some time even before the night sweats anyway had operation to remove part of my right lung to remove a tumor don't ignore it go to the doctor just to put your mind at rest, now my ordeal is over in part, hope it don't come back cause I'm coming to Thailand on the 25th April to retire.

Good Luck chiangrai

Edited by DB2

If I understand correctly, you are sleeping without a/c, under covers, next to your wife, in Thailand at the hottest time of the year.

Heat naturally increases during the night when under covers as the body heat generated is retained, all the more so when there are two of you.

Before thinking there is some medical problem, I suggest you try sleeping with a/c and no covers (i.e. only a sheet) and see if that solves it. It very well may.

• Like 1

May I suggest that you have your testosterone levels checked. I had night sweating issues for about two years and I finally did some online research, for my symptoms. Came to the conclusion that it was possibly hormonal. Went to a doctor described my symptoms and asked him to have a blood test done to check my levels. The normal testosterone level for an adult male is on average between 270-1100 ng/dl. My level was 239. He started me on a testosterone replacement medication, a topical gel. Three weeks later my level was up to 289 and the night sweating disappeared. If your levels are low and require medication, you will have to continue to take it as prescribed or your level will go back down. Downside, it is not cheap. Upside, after having been on the medication for several months, I feel better than I had for several years. I have more energy and less body fat.

I would try the easy experiments before going to the doctor. It's very likely that it's just hot for you at night.

Sleep without a blanket (some people have a problem with that), or just a sheet.

Don't eat late at night, digestion increases body heat.

Stop drinking for a period of time.

Cool the room a bit.

Try these in different combinations, and all at once.

It might be annoying but I wouldnt worry about it unless you sweat when it's cold out. :)

• Like 1

You say mattress is on a sheet of ply, i have always used slats, which are thin strips of timber, this allows the mattress to breathe better also have mattress protector and overhead fan so have no problem,

If really hot a cold shower before bed seems to last a while

I have 2 types of night sweats.

One is due to the conditions in the room. I rarely use the air-con and rely on fans which is quite adequate. I bought a timer for the fan and timed it so it goes off 1 hour after I go to bed. Constant air circulation over me all night will cause a cold and respiratory problems. I sleep best without covers. I will sweat due to the heat but my sweat is fairly odorless. It is not a problem for me.

The other type leaves a strong odor often described as "cheesy". I go through these periodically. Not sure of the cause but it is definitely internal based - hormonal imbalance, infection etc. To my relief, in time they pass. I found that as I exercise and stay physically active, they occur less. Perhaps simply because my overall health has improved.

Edited by arend

As I am not a Dr I cannot comment on the possible medical causes.

As regards methods of preventing damp sheets.... I have for the last 5 years always slept on a towel. It has 2 effects.... it wickers sweat away and if it is cold adds an extra layer of insulation.

Also make sure your bedding is 100% cotton as the nylon mixes don't breathe as well.

As I am not a Dr I cannot comment on the possible medical causes.

As regards methods of preventing damp sheets.... I have for the last 5 years always slept on a towel. It has 2 effects.... it wickers sweat away and if it is cold adds an extra layer of insulation.

Also make sure your bedding is 100% cotton as the nylon mixes don't breathe as well.

Good point...there are some cheap bedding everyone sweats like a pig. Even when you feel cold you are wet.....checking the bedding quality.....

• Like 1

night sweats are common with many type of cancer

What a prick of an answere idiot. He does not need that advice.

Yeah, I didn't need it either. right up until I was diagnosed with stage 3 hodgkin's lymphoma. someone told me about

night sweats and cancer...saved my life.

Who's the idiot?

Edited by mamypoko
  • Like 1

Assume it is not a Water Bed with a slow leak ?

If you have a sweating problem do not sleep on Latex or Foam Mattresses or anything that resembles a foamy material... they just don't breathe.

An innerspring mattress with a PURE COTTON mattress protector must be used.

Also remember the softer the mattress the more body contact hence a warmer sleep.

A firmer innerspring mattress will give a cooler sleep.

Night sweats are indicative of some underlying medical condition, sometimes serious, sometimes not... I know, because I too have had periodic episodes of night sweats for many years... My condition was brought on by a combination of low thyroid and being borderline leukemic... Best option is for the OP to get routine blood work done as a precaution if nothing else...

night sweats are common with many type of cancer

What a prick of an answere idiot. He does not need that advice.

I don't agree. Night sweats are a symptom of many types of cancer. It is a possible root cause and should not be ignored. It may be unlikely but forewarned is forearmed.

Night sweats are also common and to be expected when one is hot and we know OP is sleeping without a/c, in April, and under covers. Still suggest a night in an air con cool room as a trial. If still night sweats then yes, a basic check up inc. T levels would be wise.