Jail visit Phuket

Laserlala

I visited a fellow countryman of mine in prison in Bangkok once a week for about 8 months. I didn't know him but a "Nun" friend of mine asked me to accompany her, he had nobody else in Thailand, he was in for a murder he had committed. I would not have been allowed to see him except for the fact that the Nun had a bit of "pull". I tried to bring along others on occasion but they were not allowed to see him as they were not family.

PS.....he got released by way of the King's Pardon, went back home and died a short time later.

Maybe he doesn't want to be found by the OP, and is not even in gaol.

I agree.

My friend call for me. Find out he is in Phuket provincial court and I can visit so I got a Thai person to call again 3 hours later and he is not there anymore. They now say only police station will tell me where he is now. I don't want to go back there as I seen him in the cells and it was nightmare for me. I will now try to have someone call the police station or come with me as they do not understand English. It's very strange he would be at the court on a Saturday and then be moved.

I agree.
My friend call for me. Find out he is in Phuket provincial court and I can visit so I got a Thai person to call again 3 hours later and he is not there anymore. They now say only police station will tell me where he is now. I don't want to go back there as I seen him in the cells and it was nightmare for me. I will now try to have someone call the police station or come with me as they do not understand English. It's very strange he would be at the court on a Saturday and then be moved.
What is your friend facing court for? What's the offence?

I agree.
What is your friend facing court for? What's the offence?

And, how much money has your friend asked you for? biggrin.png

Do peoples somewhere actually spell it gaol?

Is "people" plural, or is it "peoples?" biggrin.png

In this context "peoples" is acceptable. "The peoples of ancient England spelled (or spelt for you limeys) "jail," "gaol."

Do peoples somewhere actually spell it gaol?

Is "people" plural, or is it "peoples?" biggrin.png

In this context "peoples" is acceptable. "The peoples of ancient England spelled (or spelt for you limeys) "jail," "gaol."

Yes, that would be "The Queen's English" you speak of. :)

Now, who says the use of the word "peoples" is acceptabe, really? :)

Sure peoples is acceptable, when referring to groups of people from multiple ethnic, cultural, racial, or national backgrounds.

So in the context here I think 'peoples' is simply a mistake, but it does exist.

Sure peoples is acceptable, when referring to groups of people from multiple ethnic, cultural, racial, or national backgrounds.

So in the context here I think 'peoples' is simply a mistake, but it does exist.

Nope. I used it intentionally and exactly as you you described. Is there a group of people who spell it "gaol"? wink.png

I honestly wanted to know of there are places where jail is spelled gaol. I have seen it before but I think only on this forum. Since this is an international forum, I naturally, occasionally, come across English words, spellings or phrases which I have never encountered, as we don't use them in the states. Having lived abroad for so long with many British and European friends I guess I take an interest in learning these and thus am curious when I encounter a new one of which Google does not help me determine if it is still widely used somewhere. So my question remains unanswered.

Edited by NomadJoe

No my friend is Thai from Thailand! I am from the uk.

I have a very nice (thai) lawyer friend that would probably be able to find out about your friend and help you to visit him. Let me know

Hi greenchair.

Does the lawyer speak English? I would be very interested to find out how I go about this. It has been almost a week now. Just turning up at the prison is not going to help if they won't let me see him. I have tried to call several times but no luck. I aM just a good friend trying to help him. Let me know.

Nope. I used it intentionally and exactly as you you described. Is there a group of people who spell it "gaol"? wink.png

I honestly wanted to know of there are places where jail is spelled gaol. I have seen it before but I think only on this forum. Since this is an international forum, I naturally, occasionally, come across English words, spellings or phrases which I have never encountered, as we don't use them in the states. Having lived abroad for so long with many British and European friends I guess I take an interest in learning these and thus am curious when I encounter a new one of which Google does not help me determine if it is still widely used somewhere. So my question remains unanswered.

May sources online, just did a google.

Best explanation I can find is this one, from http://grammarist.com/spelling/gaol-jail/.

Gaol is an obsolescent spelling of the word now usually spelled jail. Other than the spelling, there is no difference between the words. Gaol was common outside North American until fairly recently (it was stamped out of American English in the early 19th century, and dropped out of Canadian use about a century later), but it underwent a steady decline through the 20th century and now appears only rarely. Its most common use today is in the names of jails, but it is still possible to find a few scattered instances of gaol as a common noun in recent writing. For reasons mysterious to us, it appears to be most common in Ireland and Australia.

Edited by stevenl

This must be a troll...but I'll bite for future searches.

No one would mess around with the same inane questions again and again if they really wanted to help someone.

Just get a taxi to the jail during visiting hours, take your passport, have his name written out in Thai and you will be able to see him. Take some money if you want to be able to deposit it into his account so he can buy stuff at the shop.

But as far as you helping him, there is very little you can do besides visiting to cheer him up and giving a bit of money. Or if you believe his "story" and he has no money, you may want to consider paying for a lawyer, but I hope you have deep pockets.

He's obviously done something wrong and he is at the mercy of the system.

• Like 1

I reckon the supposed person in jail really isn't in jail. Dump him sweetheart. You don't need some loser who is in and out of jail in the first place.

Why not inform us of the charges against him? What's the offence?

He is not a loser and I am no sweetheart. I am a male and he has been my friend for years. He is a 22 year old university student in his final year and has got himself in some trouble. Some of the comments on here and so horrible. If it was your friend or anybody else's then I really don't think you would just ignore it. I have never visited a jail in my home country nevermind in Thailand, of course I'm scared. They don't speak a word of English and I'm going to a prison not a holiday camp. I came here for advice because I Ran out of options. It is holiday season here in Thailand and very hard to get information. He has little family and is not from phuket originally. It is like a nightmare so please if you have nothing nice or helpful to say then please do not say anything at all.

I reckon the supposed person in jail really isn't in jail. Dump him sweetheart. You don't need some loser who is in and out of jail in the first place.

He is not a loser and I am no sweetheart. I am a male and he has been my friend for years. He is a 22 year old university student in his final year and has got himself in some trouble. Some of the comments on here and so horrible. If it was your friend or anybody else's then I really don't think you would just ignore it. I have never visited a jail in my home country nevermind in Thailand, of course I'm scared. They don't speak a word of English and I'm going to a prison not a holiday camp. I came here for advice because I Ran out of options. It is holiday season here in Thailand and very hard to get information. He has little family and is not from phuket originally. It is like a nightmare so please if you have nothing nice or helpful to say then please do not say anything at all.
What's the crime he has supposedly committed?

There is only one prison on the island. He won't be still being held at the station cells.

They can't deny you a visitation if you go there with the advice given.

You have had many people who have visited people in prison here tell you but you keep harping on like an episode of banged up abroad.

What are you scared of exactly?

What's the crime he has supposedly committed?

There is only one prison on the island. He won't be still being held at the station cells.

They can't deny you a visitation if you go there with the advice given.

You have had many people who have visited people in prison here tell you but you keep harping on like an episode of banged up abroad.

What are you scared of exactly?

"What are you scared of exactly?" - like many here, probably scared of finding out the truth.

Troll for sure.

Plenty of good, sensible advice given...but has no intention of following through.

I know if it were my friend, I would have been down there the same day to understand the charges and see if I could help...not posted on an Internet forum how scared I was.

Fake.

• Like 1

Troll for sure.

Plenty of good, sensible advice given...but has no intention of following through.

I know if it were my friend, I would have been down there the same day to understand the charges and see if I could help...not posted on an Internet forum how scared I was.

Fake.

Yeah for sure.

All this scared talk had me convinced this was some lovestruck woman which would be understandable.

But a man, scared of what I'm not sure. Maybe an accomplice to the incarcerated?

• Like 1