Four foreign tourists injured, 4 Thais killed in crash

Thaivisa News

Bus driver's word against thei... Oh..

It's high time public transport in this country had mandatory cameras; not least because it may prevent them being saddled with a bill in cases where culpability lies elsewhere.

Edited by evadgib

Amazing that Thais died, and according to the officer foreign tourists suffered minor injuries. Convenient, or they were wearing crucifixes?

In 1980 I was a tour guide on an English Volvo coach going from Monaco to Nice, when 4 Belgians in a car came around the corner in front of us going much to fast and slammed into the front of our coach. The car was destroyed and three of them died at the scene and one died later in hospital. No-one was injured in the coach even though the car hit under my feet and buckled the stairwell where I was standing. What saved me and my passengers was that the bus was constructed on a truck chassis with two full length chassis rails. No crucifixes or amulets were involved

In this latest case the pick-up truck appears from a photo I saw to have hit the rear wheels of the bus at speed, so the occupants stood no chance even if they were wearing amulets.

• Like 1

It could have been even worse - I've seen fully laden cement trucks (and other haulers) go full speed through red lights in Thailand. Sometimes 3 to 4 seconds after the light turns red.

I did some back-of-the-napkin math to estimate how many drivers go through red lights in Chiang Rai each hour: estimate average: 10,000 ....and that was 8 yrs ago, and now there are 60% more vehicles.

I have never seen a so-called 'moving violation stop' in Thailand (cops pulling over moving vehicles). Maybe it happens in Bangkok or Pattaya, I don't know.

Imagine the revenue generated for police, if each driver pulled over (for going through a red light) gets Bt.1,000 first offense, Bt.5,000 2nd offense, Bt.10,000 3rd offense + 2 months in jail.

They'd have enough revenue, they wouldn't even need to instate a property tax in Thailand, which would make all the politicians breathe a sigh of relief, because politicians are among the largest land grabbers around.

Amazing that Thais died, and according to the officer foreign tourists suffered minor injuries. Convenient, or they were wearing crucifixes?

The Thais were in a pick-up. The foreigners were in a large bus. Not "amazing" or "convenient" just physics.

Especially for those sitting in the cargo bed. They were most likely ejected and hit the ground hard.

In this latest case the pick-up truck appears from a photo I saw to have hit the rear wheels of the bus at speed, so the occupants stood no chance even if they were wearing amulets.

can the survivors of the killed Thais take the amulets back to the temple where they were bought, and demand a refund? "your product didn't work." .....of course the monks would have a slick way to reason their way out of any responsibility. Perhaps the monks will say, "Oh, your brother and husband bought the cheapo talismans. Here, buy this expensive one, it will protect you much better as a good luck charm. Trust me."

Other reasons the amulets may not have protected as they should:

>>> were not blessed properly, or by the correct designated person

>>> were worn/placed at the wrong place, (on the body, in the car)

>>> the wearer did something unbecoming (wore shoes on the temple grounds or drank a bowl of soup without a spoon, etc)

>>> the wearer did not have the appropriate tattoo to empower the amulet

All in all, it was the person's karma to die at that precise time and place, so no amulet can change destiny. Plus he will be incarnated in a higher realm.

Amazing Thaivisa!!

An OP reporting about 4 Thai's killed is instantly turned into yet another Thai bashing thread.

Posters almost tripping over each other to get to the keyboard in their eager to spew their venom on Thailand and anything Thai related!!

Some very strange passengers on board this ship.....................coffee1.gif

Amazing Thaivisa!!

An OP reporting about 4 Thai's killed is instantly turned into yet another Thai bashing thread.

Posters almost tripping over each other to get to the keyboard in their eager to spew their venom on Thailand and anything Thai related!!

Some very strange passengers on board this ship.....................coffee1.gif

Maybe you should have made your "no blaming or bashing" demand on this thread also.

"Some very strange passengers on board this ship..."

Intellectual stowaways.

Much as I hate the 'nanny' state, how about crushing every vehicle and motorcycle if the driver has no license or insurance? I think it would make the roads safer, no?

Many cops rely on the 200 baht they take for driver; without a license. Would all of them disappear, you wouldn't see a lot of cars on the roads.

But I know quite a few foreigners living here for a long time who don't think they need a permit.

• Like 1

You know I am convinced that there is a network of secret driving schools throughout the country, which have gone unnoticed by us farangs.

This would explain the serial lunacy of so many Thai drivers - they must have been on a course - no one could be that stupid naturally!

Its not as if you could fail to see a bus pulling out now is it?

On the contrary....

I did my Thai driving test for both car and bike.... It was crazy!

Parking is the main goal of the test....

At no time where any traffic lights part of the test....

I was so disgusted by the test, that as I left the test area, I drifted the car out to the carpark in front of all the officials and others waiting to do the test.... And guess what... 5 minutes later I walked out with my license!

That was in Chiang Mai.. it might be different elsewhere....

You know I am convinced that there is a network of secret driving schools throughout the country, which have gone unnoticed by us farangs.

This would explain the serial lunacy of so many Thai drivers - they must have been on a course - no one could be that stupid naturally!

Its not as if you could fail to see a bus pulling out now is it?

not unless you are stupid or drunk

Bus driver's word against thei... Oh..

Wouldn't the damage to the vehicles support the statement by the Police and supporting observations by passengers. .. DUH!

Yes, because when I'm on a bus, my head is on a swivel watching traffic lights and cars.. Use your brain before you post.

I have never seen a so-called 'moving violation stop' in Thailand (cops pulling over moving vehicles). Maybe it happens in Bangkok or Pattaya, I don't know.

happens in Bangkok a lot....when the police need tea money.

I had to do the "test" to get my thai licence when I arrived from Australia. "what color is this" "press that pedal when the light is green and press the other pedal when the red light comes on" "press the button when the 2 levers are aligned" "tell me what color that light is in your peripheral vision". my God, no checking if I can drive.

• 2 weeks later...

The Thais were in a pick-up. The foreigners were in a large bus. Not "amazing" or "convenient" just physics.

definitely not wearing seat belts...in that pickup.

I think most of us agree, it was not tfhe lack of crucifixes.

Correct. The bus driver obviously had a better prayer fingerpainted above his seat!

Red means STOP!!!

Not in Thailand

The "idiocrazy" of the Thai driving is that they actually slow down when they approach a crossing.

Already miles before the crossing.

And when they reach the traffic lights and the light is Yellow or Red, the speed up to pass the crossing before the cars in the opposite direction have started to drive.

Only in Thailand ......

.............or drive slowly in the fast lane for 5 K before their intended U-turn. Or can't be bothered to turn the head lights on, and then at last just when they can't see anything because it is pitch black turn them on, and the fog lights too.