Master degree and transition year

The question probably not related to the namely Thai education, but...

I'm considering enrollment to the International MSc program in Thai university. Interested in Pure or Applied Mathematics area.

However there are two points:

- My first degree is not strictly in Mathematics, actually in Information Technology

- I graduated 5 years ago and have to “refresh” my mathematical background

Is it pretty normal practice in Thailand (or any other country) to ask the university administration for “transition year” and take some courses from BSc program?

I could not find any relevant information about that in official sources (university and faculty sites)

Thank you in advance

Your degree is not 'strictly' in mathematics? It is not even close to mathematics. Degrees with the label IT are normally quite soft. Hey They don't even bother with hexadecimal these days. The nearest approximation to a mathematically-based computing degree would be Computer Science and for that you would now be a heavy duty programmer maybe in C++ and a programming project to prove the point. There is no maths MSc worth its salt that will take an IT graduate on to its programme. A Computer Science graduate who maybe took some algorithmic modules as part of his/her undergraduate programme might aim for a masters in financial modelling, but first you need to state clearly what mathematical content and level you are at now. It would help if you had a 2:1 or First in your degree plus some good grades in pure and applied maths at A level, but if you had those why did you take a degree in IT?

Edited by SheungWan

Your degree is not 'strictly' in mathematics? It is not even close to mathematics.

Do not agree with "it is not even close". I had Calculus, Linear Algebra, Probability and Differential Equations courses, so I have some base.

Yeah, I had good grades in all these courses.

However, I understand that they were not as deep as it required for me now.

Once again, the question is - is it normal practice to take all prerequisite courses without getting a complete BSc in Mathematics?

According to my estimations 2 semesters of hard work should be enough to reach required level.

but if you had those why did you take a degree in IT

Went wrong way :)

Your degree is not 'strictly' in mathematics? It is not even close to mathematics.

Do not agree with "it is not even close". I had Calculus, Linear Algebra, Probability and Differential Equations courses, so I have some base.

Yeah, I had good grades in all these courses.

However, I understand that they were not as deep as it required for me now.

Once again, the question is - is it normal practice to take all prerequisite courses without getting a complete BSc in Mathematics?

According to my estimations 2 semesters of hard work should be enough to reach required level.

but if you had those why did you take a degree in IT

Went wrong way smile.png

OK, I'll stand corrected on your degree content. I was assuming a standard type of IT degree taken in the UK. No, its not normal practice to take a masters in maths without a first degree in the subject. However one thing you might do is to ask a university what exemptions they might give you re years 1 and years 2 re your prior studies (APL accreditation in prior learning). A better route might be to aim for a computing masters with a strong mathematical content and ask a university if they have a pre-masters course to bring you up to standard. Some unis particularly in maths do have this type of thing but more often in pre-courses for undergraduate degrees. You might be looking for a post-graduate diploma. Forget it re undertaking this project in Thailand. There are possibilities with some of the new universities in the UK. In the region maybe something in HK or Singapore.

OP, please do a quick search on this posters usual comments here. He loves to mislead and debate and has never ever once even came close to helping someone who asked a question.

"No, its not normal practice to take a masters in maths without a first degree in the subject."

Absolute rubbish. As long as you have taken the mandatory pre req. courses and can apply yourself no matter what your degree was in, you can handle the course work. Most programs are quite open as long as you can pass the requirements.

I know people with PhD's in Mathematics that studied Philosophy for undergrad. They did have a concentration in mathematics though.

You will be fine. Just apply. Most good IT programs or software engineering load you up with all the skills needed.

OP, please do a quick search on this posters usual comments here. He loves to mislead and debate and has never ever once even came close to helping someone who asked a question.

"No, its not normal practice to take a masters in maths without a first degree in the subject."

Absolute rubbish. As long as you have taken the mandatory pre req. courses and can apply yourself no matter what your degree was in, you can handle the course work. Most programs are quite open as long as you can pass the requirements.

I know people with PhD's in Mathematics that studied Philosophy for undergrad. They did have a concentration in mathematics though.

You will be fine. Just apply. Most good IT programs or software engineering load you up with all the skills needed.

I doubt if you have looked at the course spec of any IT degree programme which would be quite different from that in software engineering. As for knowing people with PhD's in maths having studied philosophy.....hey, ho with a concentration in maths? That would be typical? No way. As for looking at the pre-requisites for maths masters you might benefit from looking at a few. The overwhelming majority of undergraduate degree courses in IT are for students who are relatively weak in maths, so if a prior maths say A level background but not in the degree itself then a pre-masters course is the way to go. Can be done but a shallow understanding leading to a 'you will be fine' mantra not helpful at all. Toodle-pip.

Edited by SheungWan

Forget it re undertaking this project in Thailand. There are possibilities with some of the new universities in the UK. In the region maybe something in HK or Singapore.

I really found at least two appropriate programs in UK universities, with 3-years Engineering-to-Maths track.

However studying in the UK is really expensive for me, as well as cost of living there. Probably I won't be able to work even part-time as English is not my native language, so studying process will require an additional concentration.

I consider South-East Asia for several reasons - I'm living here for a long time and know the region good enough, and total expenses for education and living would be several times less than in UK/US/AU

Moreover, Asian universities are rapidly rising in the world's top list

Btw, why you suggest not to consider Thailand? I'm thinking exactly about Thailand or Malaysia, there are a dozen of universities that suit my requirements (Asian Top 100, has MSc in Maths, reasonable tuition fees, etc)

I think it is make sense to address that question directly to every particular university. I hope everything is discussable.

Forget it re undertaking this project in Thailand. There are possibilities with some of the new universities in the UK. In the region maybe something in HK or Singapore.

I really found at least two appropriate programs in UK universities, with 3-years Engineering-to-Maths track.

However studying in the UK is really expensive for me, as well as cost of living there. Probably I won't be able to work even part-time as English is not my native language, so studying process will require an additional concentration.

I consider South-East Asia for several reasons - I'm living here for a long time and know the region good enough, and total expenses for education and living would be several times less than in UK/US/AU

Moreover, Asian universities are rapidly rising in the world's top list

Btw, why you suggest not to consider Thailand? I'm thinking exactly about Thailand or Malaysia, there are a dozen of universities that suit my requirements (Asian Top 100, has MSc in Maths, reasonable tuition fees, etc)

I think it is make sense to address that question directly to every particular university. I hope everything is discussable.

In the Times Higher Education Asia Top 100 universities there are 2 universities from Thailand and 0 from Malaysia.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/regional-ranking/region/asia

....so I don't think the league tables are going to help you much. Do any of the colleges you have found offer any pre-Masters study?