AIR ASIA CHARGES: This should not be permitted

jko

In my view the so-called 'budget' airlines are one of the most widespread con tricks in the travel industry.

They advertise what look like low fares, but if you do a like-for-like comparison including luggage, day and time of travel, travel costs to and from secondary airports, meals, seat booking and payment charges then the costs are close to or higher than the traditional airlines.

And that's assuming you manage to avoid being charged for 'insurance' during the booking process.

Bangkok Airways may be the one exception to this as they can be good value - but they describe themselves as a 'boutique' airline and not 'budget'.

I view 'budget' airlines the same as 'pay as you go' mobile plans ...... charging people more for less whilst pretending to be cheap and ripping off people who can least afford it.

For local flight around Asia (all I would use a "budget" airline for) I find the cost about 20-25 percent cheaper than the main national carriers. AA was 30-40 percent cheaper when they first started out a decade ago but you paid for it in old ratty planes and often delayed flights. The savings are not as great now but they seem to have all new planes and at least when I use them they're pretty much on time. Also, they can get you to some of the smaller more out of the way places that the bigger carriers don't serve. I don't need all the bells and whistles on short flights so I like their unbundled pay for what you want business model.

• Like 1

Yes AA are a con. I had to cancel a flight and only refund I get is the airpoet tax. Why no refund on the baggage allowance that i dont use and the airport service charge that i dont use as I'm not there.

Yes it is a con for the cc charge to be so high. AA where fined in Australia for deceptive advertising.

Edited by Linky

Yes AA are a con. I had to cancel a flight and only refund I get is the airpoet tax. Why no refund on the baggage allowance that i dont use and the airport service charge that i dont use as I'm not there.

Yes it is a con for the cc charge to be so high. AA where fined in Australia for deceptive advertising.

You never refunds on taxes or service charges anywhere. Refunds depend on what kind of ticket you purchased in the first place. Buy a cheap ticket, dont get a refund its the same with all airlines.

Some of you guys need to learn how to fly.

I give thanks to all the Air Asia and Jetstar customers who don't bother to read the terms and conditions of the flights they book. It's the excess baggage fees they pay at the airport, along with all the other costs they incur that help keep the fares cheaper for those of us who do read... wai.gif

• Like 1

You never refunds on taxes or service charges anywhere. Refunds depend on what kind of ticket you purchased in the first place. Buy a cheap ticket, dont get a refund its the same with all airlines.

Yes some need to stop thinking they know everything.

3 years ago I cancelled an AA flight from Phuket. No refund on the ticket but was refunded on the tax.

Always happy to educate you.

3 years ago I cancelled an AA flight from Phuket. No refund on the ticket but was refunded on the tax.

Because you had a nonrefundable ticket duh......

400 Baht on 24000 Baht worth of ticketing is a small price to pay for ticket insurance through AA's system. Must admit I have never had to make a claim but the option is there.

I'm not knocking the AA travel insurance product specifically, but from my experience battling insurance companies in general, I would be sure to actually read the fine print of the policy to see what is actually covered and the other terms and conditions. What's stated in bold on websites means nothing...it's the policy language that controls what is and is not a covered loss. Insurance companies make money by denying claims...not paying them.

• Like 2

i use air aisa al the time,

pay using my scb atm card an its cheap

Why should i be forced to pay for baggage when i dont carry any, why pay for a meal i dont want, why pay for a seat when anyone is fine ( although i love the option to pay 70 baht and sit more towards the front for a faster exit )

If you want those things pay for them

i dont see how anyone can complain as your not forced to use them. Fly with Thai and pay more.

• Like 1

i use air aisa al the time,

pay using my scb atm card an its cheap

Why should i be forced to pay for baggage when i dont carry any, why pay for a meal i dont want, why pay for a seat when anyone is fine ( although i love the option to pay 70 baht and sit more towards the front for a faster exit )

If you want those things pay for them

i dont see how anyone can complain as your not forced to use them. Fly with Thai and pay more.

I'm not a fan of Thai Airways and avoid them when I can as I don't like the inconvenience of being bussed to the plane (50% of the time with Thai in my experience) and I prefer the AA customer servcie over the HiSo Thai Aunties - but booking a flight to Krabi over Songkran was cheaper on Thai incuding luggage ..... and a recent flight to KL was also cheaper on Thai and I could use the train from the primary airport. I guess it depends on how far in advance you book, where you live in realtion to DMK and BKK and if you need luggage - but I've not found Air Asia to be consistently cheaper than Thai, Eva, Garuda or Cathay.

Misleading advertising = a con.

Yes sure it's annoying about all the little extra charges, especially when one wants cheapest as possible yet best.

No different to people booking into budget hotels with no service charge yet expect 5 star services and all the extra 's free of charge.

Plenty of full cost airlines where all charges are included in the price, just price is double ;)

Because you had a nonrefundable ticket duh......

But the tax was refunded, which you said NEVER happens....duhhh

<snip> and a recent flight to KL was also cheaper on Thai and I could use the train from the primary airport.

Actually you can use the train from both airports at KL. Since the LCCT shut early last year, and operations moved to the new KLIA2 - the KLIA Ekspres and KLIA Transit trains run from both airports.

• Like 2

AN easy solution to the problem is to pay the tickets cash at 7 eleven . I always do that when I'm flying with Air Asia. And they are still the cheapest option from Bangkok to other destinations in SE Asia.

Edited by balo

AN easy solution to the problem is to pay the tickets cash at 7 eleven . I always do that when I'm flying with Air Asia. And they are still the cheapest option from Bangkok to other destinations in SE Asia.

From Bkk to KL you could try Malindo Air. Comparable or maybe even cheaper.