There are Good Things About Songkran

Gonzo the Face

No disrespect sir, but you must be joking.

john

Sentenced to three days inside or for the duration.

WHAT ! ! !

Now Jw, doun yu be dissin on me....... you be talkin to a pro-fessional traffic wacher.... Why I can even tell you the difference in moto-ist who be ridin wit helmets on before 4:30 pms vs after 5:30 pms... why I gots records goin bak fo years on my professional observ-ations on impotent tings like dat. So I be da man dat nose. Less tex ting with mo water in de aire

No disrespect sir, but you must be joking.

john

Sentenced to three days inside or for the duration.

Last night I dreamt a Genie appeared and gave me 3 wishes. Wish number 1. Poof Songkran never existed 2. Ditto 3. Ditto Then I heard this terrible boom boom boom music outside and realized that it was all only a dream and Songkran did not disappear. They just finally quit for the day. Day number one down two more miserable days to go if we are lucky. My tinnitus is revving up again thanks to all the racket. To bad they do not have a Thai ear doctor on TV to comment on all the damage this noise will do in years to come as well as articles or opinions in the newspapers but I guess the TAT would be against that. Thanks in advance for all the suggestions I will receive about travelling elsewhere during Songkran but that is not in my budget oh well I guess if I cannot afford to live here I should go home. I would then have to leave my lovely g/f behind and that would be unbearable. She would then have to find another old curmudgeon like me on TV to look after her.

Good things about Songkran....I rode my bike to across town this afternoon to do some shopping at Airport Plaza. Within 10m of leaving the front door i was stopped by some locals who poured water all over me. All over my body not over my head. All done nice and friendly. Happy new year etc. Set off again and how cool and refreshing it was to cycle completely wet! Very nice. I have been cycling all of March hot as...sweating like a... If only i had soaked myself before setting out these rides would have been much cooler.

I cycled right through the old city , Tippanet, to Airport Plaza. It was 95% pleasant, crazy in a good way. I saw locals splashing water over Buddha statues that were being marched down Ratchadamnern towards Wat Prasingh. No matter how touristy Chiang Mai may be that was special, old folk coming forward out of the crowd to splash water on the Buddha.

The other 5%, There seems to be a brain dead minority who's idea of Songkran is to smash water in your face has hard as they can, as you roll by at jogging speed. They even seem to screw their face up like they are about to throw the shot put. All locals and normally teenagers. Family standing near by as brain dead as their child.

• Like 1