Songkran revellers cautioned about use of waterproof bags

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- Jor Sor 100 Traffic radio station has issued a warning for Songkran revelers who like to use a transparent plastic bag to protect their mobile gadget and wallet.

The warning on Jor Sor 100’s website has been widely shared by Thai Facebook users.

Thai Songkran revelers often put their valuables, such as expensive smartphone, ID card, ATM card and cash, in a transparent bag that is worn around their neck, while they are enjoying water splashing.

Jor Sor 100 noted that the bags could protect the valuables from getting wet but they are not thief-proof at all. Instead, the valuables in the transparent bags are like magnetic drawing the thieves that mingle among the revelers.

Jor Sor 100 said the thieves could simply use a small scissor to cut the rope and conveniently take away all the valuables while the revelers are in the height of the water splashing fun.

The traffic radio station said it received phone calls from more than 50 persons a year that their valuables were stolen this way. The radio station said many more revelers filed complaints with police at various police stations around the country that their valuable waterproof bags were cut and disappeared.

Jor Sor 100 also warned the Songkran revelers against using cheap plastic bags saying water could seep in easily and damage their mobile phones or tablets.

The website said cheap plastic bags normally have one layers and have poorly seal so water could get in.

Those who use high-quality and more expensive bags, such as those for protecting their cameras, are also advised to use a dryer to dry the bag or they can dry them in the sun sometimes or else humidity in the bags could damage their devices.

• Like 1

In related breaking news, coffee shop customers have been cautioned that hot coffee drinks are hot.

True, but coffee is hot back home, too.

But the danger of thieves during Songkran is, well, foreign to our breadth of experience.

Good on them to warn naive tourists (foreign and domestic) that the Land of Smiles is still part of the real world, with real world dangers even during the festivities.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Those who use high-quality and more expensive bags, such as those for protecting their cameras, are also advised to use a dryer to dry the bag or they can dry them in the sun sometimes or else humidity in the bags could damage their devices.

Shouldn't this be posted as a sticky in the photo forum, because I'm sure none of the members was aware that you could dry a wet bag in the sun.

• Like 1

What is the problem with you all?

They are issuing a sensible warning to people ( I've seen many with plastic bags around their necks) and you are taking the piss.

I think you all need serious help, more than the ones that are going to loose their belongings with the plastic bag.

Taking the piss?

That's another good warning.thumbsup.gif

What is IN that Songkran throw water?!? w00t.gif

• Like 1

Last year, I'm pretty sure I had a guy do a quick search on me for a wallet. It was really crowded and I felt a hand in my back pocket. Luckily, I only had a few small bills and they were in an inside pocket.

Beach road during Songkran is a pickpocket's heaven.

In related breaking news, coffee shop customers have been cautioned that hot coffee drinks are hot.

True, but coffee is hot back home, too.

But the danger of thieves during Songkran is, well, foreign to our breadth of experience.

Good on them to warn naive tourists (foreign and domestic) that the Land of Smiles is still part of the real world, with real world dangers even during the festivities.

What country you are from is that, which has no thieves at tourist rip off sides? North Korea?

• Like 1

Geez like it takes a genius to put it INSIDE their shirt. I use one even when it's not songkran good place yo not be pick pocketed from!

And what is alternative? Water damaged phone is as bad as stolen phone.

When going to an event, where you know 100%, you are going to get soaked, is it unthinkable not to bring your phone?

Oh stupid me!! How can you live without the hourly selfie, and FB online where the world are waiting for reports about your exciting life............

Oh stupid me for thinking a phone is good to have to be able to call my wife if the police stop me or if I were to breakdown on the side of the road. Or call the police if I had an emergency. Not everyone lives and moves within meters of a public telephone / other means of assistance . My phone is also my translator, my gps, my notebook etc. just because I'm out moving about on songkran day doesn't mean I don't need those things. Has nothing whatsoever to do with selfies or Facebook.

• Like 1

They are issuing a sensible warning to people ( I've seen many with plastic bags around their necks) and you are taking the piss.

I think you all need serious help, more than the ones that are going to loose their belongings with the plastic bag.

I've got no sympathy for morons losing belongings kept in a plastic bag hanging from their neck.

Bringing expensive cell phones to Songkran water fights is like taking a cell phone swimming. It's just plain dumb. How did people survive in the old days without cell phones?

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

When going to an event, where you know 100%, you are going to get soaked, is it unthinkable not to bring your phone?

Oh stupid me!! How can you live without the hourly selfie, and FB online where the world are waiting for reports about your exciting life............

Oh stupid me for thinking a phone is good to have to be able to call my wife if the police stop me or if I were to breakdown on the side of the road. Or call the police if I had an emergency. Not everyone lives and moves within meters of a public telephone / other means of assistance . My phone is also my translator, my gps, my notebook etc. just because I'm out moving about on songkran day doesn't mean I don't need those things. Has nothing whatsoever to do with selfies or Facebook.

Wow if you were born 30 years ago. Man I really didn't realize life was so hard back then.

I bet you need a visit to the hospital is your phone gets below 10% charge.

Perfetic creature.

• Like 1

Taking the piss?

<deleted> Costas, '...lose their belongings...."

<deleted> Costas, '...lose their belongings....--falangjim

-------------------------------------------------------

bE verry caareful Coatas the language polce is here agian...................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

That article could have been written with one sentence. The actually, very simple, warning did not come until halfway through the article. I found it interesting we had to read the name of the radio station several times before getting to the actual warning.

Edited by oneday

Taking the piss?

It's so ironic, someone correcting another poster's English is moronic enough to use an expletive in that same post.

• Like 2

That article could have been written with one sentence. The actually, very simple, warning did not come until halfway through the article. I found it interesting we had to read the name of the radio station several times before getting to the actual warning.

And your post would have been written better with no sentences or words at all.

The warning was in the headline and the first paragraph.

The warning was in the headline and the first paragraph.

And the same can be said for about 90% of your posts!!
Try for once in your life to contribute to the topic on hand, instead of your meaningless attacks on other posters!!
  • Like 1

Come on! You can survive one afternoon without your translator, GPS, Notebook etc.

If I could get in a time machine and travel back to the 1980's, to a time before cell phones and PC's (before Thaivisa) I'd jump at the chance. It is frightening how reliant people are becoming on these devices. How did people survive without them? Have they improved the quality of life?

• Like 1

Last year, I'm pretty sure I had a guy do a quick search on me for a wallet. It was really crowded and I felt a hand in my back pocket. Luckily, I only had a few small bills and they were in an inside pocket.

Beach road during Songkran is a pickpocket's heaven.

Well, if you were, ummm, cute well you know. Maybe your buttocks are plump or firm or whatever it is that attracts roving hands. whistling.gif

Taking the piss?

It's so ironic, someone correcting another poster's English is moronic enough to use an expletive in that same post.

surely the realization that your possessions are loose is a lose! thumbsup.gif

I just wrap my phone and wallet inside two separate plastic bags (small 7/11 ones) and stick them where I normally stick them.

(For security reasons I can't say where I stick them)

blink.png

so is your mobile call alert set to vibrate! and can you still walk straight? crazy.gif

• Like 1

I admire TV headlines, frequently their cryptic wording leaves me scratching my head.As in this one, revellers are cautioned about the use of waterproof bags at Songkran, I pictured revellers throwing plastic bags full of water at each other.

Costas, the world's greatest thread starter, should compile a list of TV's most cryptic headlines of the month.