Driving from Phuket to BKK - report

Somtamnication

Well done for doing all that driving. Not something I would try.Was in Hua Hin and did think about driving down to Phuket and back but didn't fancy doing that much driving.Have driven in Bangkok a few times and as you say unless you really know it well have to have gps.

Edited by gaztop08

Did the reverse couple years back. 5 people in the car was more practical than flying, mainly for getting around in Phuket.

Drive was about 12 hours, coming from northeastern side of Bangkok and including 3 or 4 lengthy breaks. Key is really to start early and pass into prachup at dawn.

• Like 1

Going by way of Surat Thani instead of Ranong is quicker.

Agreed. The first few time up north we took the Ranong way cos that was the only way my wife knew. After a look at the map I thought Surat Thani would be quicker, and it is. But I have yet to decide whether the faster longer 44 is quicker than the narrow slower 415 to Surat. We still travel north to my wife family near Cha-am at least once a year, need the car for the rural area. I had been using the 44 for a while, but one day we overtook an SUV that we knew. I took the 44 and was surprised to see that SUV partked at the Co-op near Surat that we usually make a food pit stop. Asked them which way he came - all 415. So now I always use that route.

• Like 2

So now I always use that route.

Especially since the 415 is getting better and better every time I pass by. My last trip was about a month ago from Phuket to Chantaburi, up to Nong Khai and back by scooter. Great trip of about 4000 km in 16 days. I would do it again any time, except for rainy season whistling.gif Read about the trip at http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4103

• Like 2

Took that route on Apr 1st, and was surprised how good the road was.

Drove from Patong to Samut Songkram in 10 hours, stayed overnight, then on to Phayao for another 11 hours.

Traffic was rather light (even in Bangkok), but this was before most people were on the road for Songkran.

Pantip closed? I've been heading there every trip since I started coming to Thailand that's a shame. The only reason for me to head to that area really and I enjoyed the adrenaline rush from taking a motorcycle taxi from chit lom bts every time. I do like central pharam9 not so keen on fortune town. Soi 33 is a short trip from where I live. Tenderloins is the place to go good bruchetta and Thai French tenderloin or reef and beef on soi 33. Apparently a few places have closed down that soi, hopefully my favourite karaoke joint is still going and hopefully lips will re open. I'm in Phuket now sounds like a good trip but I prefer to fly.

• Like 1

BKK driving is not so bad after you drive here for a while becomes second nature , just need to know what street access to avoid at certain times, My girl worked emergency OR with different hospitals all through BKK so i was designated driver . I love how the 3 lanes become 5 . works for me. I dont see how anyone can get lost in bkk driving its one of the easiest cities to get around in , just dont hit anyone. Dont use the GPS then you will be lost..

415 is about 20 minutes faster than 44.

I think that's about correct. BUT - depends on how many slower moving vehicles have to be overtaken, and it's not an easy road to overtake. And dangerous to overtake or have a crazy person come towards you on the wrong side of the road. I suppose that's a plus on the dual carriage 44 all the way.

I think that's about correct. BUT - depends on how many slower moving vehicles have to be overtaken, and it's not an easy road to overtake. And dangerous to overtake or have a crazy person come towards you on the wrong side of the road. I suppose that's a plus on the dual carriage 44 all the way.

415 is nearly everywhere dual carriage these days. Much busier though than 44.

415 is nearly everywhere dual carriage these days. Much busier though than 44.

Yes, but not when you exit left at the traffic lights. For sure the dual carriageway is extending south from Surat Thani, but I see no progess on the 2 way road from the south.

I drive from Chumphon to Phuket every month and have tried all routes.The Ranong route is the worst and can take up to 6 hours if you hit a lot of traffic.

I prefer the 415 as it is quicker but it all depends on the time of day I am usually on early morning and somedays have a clear run

.From Chumphon to Sarasin bridge usually takes me about 31/12 to 4hours

Avoid Friday if you can .Always seems to be busier on a Friday

I have driven around Thailand about 8 times since moving here, from tip to toe and never get tired of it, although in the beginning I would drive, lets say, from Pattaya to Chiang Mai with just short food breaks (pick-nicks in the Salahs), now I will stop overnight about half way. I discovered that getting to my destination was more important to me that actually enjoying the journey so I had to discipline myself into taking it slower.

Got my first GPS about 7 years ago......must be the greatest invention ever, makes the journeys so much easier and less arguments with "she who must be obeyed" for giving me wrong directions.

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1