Deisel Vs The Usual Stuff.

Nigel M

Diesel engines are generally designed for torque, not outright horsepower, and burn a dufferent fuel at a higher compression ratio than a gas engine. Since a diesel self ignites(no ignition system), the mixture can be leaned off (minimal fuel) to the point of significant fuel savings. So, for a pickup truck application you get a torquier engine that burns less fuel. Just what you want. The opposite would be required for say, a sports car where fuel consumption is less of an issue, and horsepower in a small lightweight package is desired.

A diesel engine on average is 30 percent more fuel efficient and lasts longer than a gasoline engine.

sorry, dont know much about this stuff, but whats the advantage and disadvantage of diesel pick-up?

Its usually heavier than a petrol engine as well due to the increased combustion ratio, it is cheaper to service gernerally, no spark plugs, coil, leads etc.

BMW have released a diesel engined version of the 5 series, very nice piece of work, it is faster than a lot of sports cars on the road, same with VW and the Golf TDI, diesels are advancing to a point where they may be as powerful HP as petrol engines soon.

Diesel is really the fuel of choice outside USA now. It no longer has the dirty/greasy image it used to.

you get better fuel consumption, a longer lasting engine, cheaper fuel, but sometimes less out-and-out performance.

- Remember a diesel won Le Mans 24hrs this year!

Edited by wilko

Diesel is really the fuel of choice outside USA now. It no longer has the dirty/greasy image it used to.

you get better fuel consumption, a longer lasting engine, cheaper fuel, but sometimes less out-and-out performance.

Unless of course you drive in the UK where diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline.

great answers guys. thanks. it sounds pretty unanimous that diesel is more power, better fuel efficiency, and better lasting engine.

so why dont they use diesel in the US?

i assume if i get a diesel truck, (maybe another dumb question) it doesnt matter whether i get auto or manual- meaning the automatic doesnt compromise the power of the diesel? or do you need a manual to get the most out of the low end torque?

cheers

Unless of course you drive in the UK where diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline.

Really?? when did that happen?

Perhaps you could give us all a laugh and tell us how much petrol and diesel are per litre now. :o

great answers guys. thanks. it sounds pretty unanimous that diesel is more power, better fuel efficiency, and better lasting engine.

i assume if i get a diesel truck, (maybe another dumb question) it doesnt matter whether i get auto or manual- meaning the automatic doesnt compromise the power of the diesel? or do you need a manual to get the most out of the low end torque?

cheers

Unless you need automatic for city driving, manual gives you more response and better control. When accelerating to overtake, for example, automatic can be slower than manual.

I don't know about pick-ups, but for example in the Fortuna the better fittings (leather seats, steering wheel controls of stereo, etc.) are only available in the automatic (daft IMHO), so you have to choose between driving pleasure (manual) and superior fittings (automatic).

cheers

Unless you need automatic for city driving, manual gives you more response and better control. When accelerating to overtake, for example, automatic can be slower than manual.

I don't know about pick-ups, but for example in the Fortuna the better fittings (leather seats, steering wheel controls of stereo, etc.) are only available in the automatic (daft IMHO), so you have to choose between driving pleasure (manual) and superior fittings (automatic).

I wouldn't dismiss automatics so lightly....check out what spec they have. The Toyota had an overdrive for cruising and a very good take off as well. With 4wd they sometimes are better than manual if they're fitted with traction control etc etc. I don't know what is available on the Fortuner or Vigo but it might be worth checking them out in automatic form.

Edited by wilko

cheers

I wouldn't dismiss automatics so lightly....check out what spec they have. The Toyota had an overdrive for cruising and a very good take off as well. With 4wd they sometimes are better than manual if they're fitted with traction control etc etc. I don't know what is available on the Fortuner or Vigo but it might be worth checking them out in automatic form.

Thanks for the tip Wilko, perhaps I am a bit out-of-date - I will check them out....

Tom Yum,

If you find a Toyota D4d that gets 38 kms to the liter let me know, Toyota can print what they like in a brochure, I would say bullshit. I get 99 kms per liter out of my mitsu when i get towed up hills and coast down the other side.